Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:37 am

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average. 
OFFICIAL POLL: Help select our NON-FICTION book for May, June & July 2018! 

OFFICIAL POLL: Vote on our NON-FICTION book for May, June & July 2018!
BOOK 1: Enlightenment Now - by Steven Pinker 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
BOOK 2: The Human Instinct - by Kenneth R. Miller 23%  23%  [ 3 ]
BOOK 3: Sapiens - by Yuval Noah Harari 54%  54%  [ 7 ]
BOOK 4: Homo Deus - by Yuval Noah Harari 23%  23%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 13

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Highscores: 6

The simple rules...

Only vote if you will participate.
Please only vote if you actually plan to participate in the next NON-FICTION book discussion. We're not looking for your opinion of which book looks the most interesting. We're wondering which book or books you will actually read and talk about with us.

Vote for as many books as you like.
Vote for as many of the 4 books as you're willing to read and discuss with us. We'll read the one with the most interest so don't just vote for 1 book if there are more than 1 that you would enjoy reading and discussing.

Share your thoughts on why you voted the way you voted.
After casting your vote please feel free to make a post explaining why you voted the way you did. You just might influence other members to change their votes so please sell us on your choice.

Now here are your 4 choices...

BOOK 1: Enlightenment Now: The Case for Reason, Science, Humanism, and Progress by Steven Pinker

BOOK 2: The Human Instinct: How We Evolved to Have Reason, Consciousness, and Free Will by Kenneth R. Miller

BOOK 3: Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind by Yuval Noah Harari

BOOK 4: Homo Deus: A Brief History of Tomorrow by Yuval Noah Harari

Please click on each link and read about our 4 choices. :thanks2:

Attachments:
homo-deus.jpg
homo-deus.jpg [ 11.04 KiB | Viewed 826 times ]
sapiens.jpg
sapiens.jpg [ 14 KiB | Viewed 826 times ]
human.jpg
human.jpg [ 10.28 KiB | Viewed 826 times ]
pinker.jpg
pinker.jpg [ 20.02 KiB | Viewed 826 times ]

The following user would like to thank Chris OConnor for this post:
Robert Tulip
Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:50 pm
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Freshman

Silver Contributor

Post Re: OFFICIAL POLL: Help select our NON-FICTION book for May, June & July 2018!
Chris OConnor wrote:
Now here are your 4 choices...

BOOK 1: Enlightenment Now: The Case for Reason, Science, Humanism, and Progress by Steven Pinker

BOOK 2: The Human Instinct: How We Evolved to Have Reason, Consciousness, and Free Will by Kenneth R. Miller

BOOK 3: Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind by Yuval Noah Harari

BOOK 4: Homo Deus: A Brief History of Tomorrow by Yuval Noah Harari

They are all good choices and I hope to read all of them eventually. I'm voting for Sapiens because I bought it some months ago and have just now started to read it.

Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:13 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I issue my own library cards!

BookTalk.org Moderator
Silver Contributor 2

Post Re: OFFICIAL POLL: Help select our NON-FICTION book for May, June & July 2018!
Hey guys,

Apologies for falling off the forum. I'm not going to vote, because I haven't followed through on my past intentions to discuss the book selection. And as you know, most discussions tend to die out. But hopefully I will come around. I've read Sapiens and meaning to tackle Homo Deus. I suspect the latter would be more speculative and provide for some discussion (and probably not require that you've read the first one). But if you pick Sapiens, that would be give me an excuse to go back and give it a re-read.

Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:02 pm
Profile Email
Nobel Laureate in Literature

All four look like interesting reads to me. I prefer the Miller book as I think "The Human Instinct" will get into issues of most interest to me and open up the most stimulating conversations. My second choice would be "Homo Deus" for similar reasons.

But again, any of them would be good. Good choices, I would say.

The following user would like to thank Harry Marks for this post:
Robert Tulip
Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:27 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Gold Contributor

Harry Marks wrote:
All four look like interesting reads to me. I prefer the Miller book as I think "The Human Instinct" will get into issues of most interest to me and open up the most stimulating conversations. My second choice would be "Homo Deus" for similar reasons.

But again, any of them would be good. Good choices, I would say.

I have voted for The Human Instinct. It opens the philosophical problems of evolution and culture in what looks a far more sophisticated way than Pinker or Harari do, to my brief look. I am currently reading books by Jordan Peterson and Carl Jung.

Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:41 am
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Will anyone else be voting? ...changing their current votes?

Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:00 pm
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

BookTalk.org Moderator
Platinum Contributor

I'm interested in all these books, but I don't want to vote because I frequently don't follow through to participate in the discussion. Sapiens is probably the most compelling to me, but the Human Instinct would be good too. If Robert Tulip and Harry Marks are on board, we would likely get a good discussion. Good to see that Dexter might be involved too.

Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:12 am

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Dexter and Geo, even with light participation we sure would love for you to vote!

Harry Marks
Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:12 pm
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Platinum Contributor

I favored the two Harari books. The only one I'm really not in the mood for us Pinker's, which sounds as though it covers much of the same ground as Our Better Angels.

The following user would like to thank DWill for this post:
Chris OConnor
Tue May 01, 2018 7:59 am
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

BookTalk.org Moderator
Platinum Contributor

I went ahead and voted for Sapiens and The Human Instinct.

Tue May 01, 2018 6:06 pm

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

OK, Sapiens is our winner and I'm creating the new forum right now. :-)

Interbane
Wed May 02, 2018 9:57 pm
Profile Email WWW
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.