Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:24 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page 1, 2  Next
POLL: Countdown to Impeachment 

When do you think President Trump will be impeached?
Trump will be impeached in 2017 43%  43%  [ 9 ]
Trump will be impeached in 2018 24%  24%  [ 5 ]
Trump will be impeached in 2019 10%  10%  [ 2 ]
Trump will be impeached in 2020 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Trump won't be impeached 24%  24%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 21

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Highscores: 6

When do you think President Trump will be impeached?

I'm making this poll nice and simple and giving four choices: 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020

Please feel free to make a post and give your reasoning behind your vote.

Attachments:
Donald-Trump.jpg
Donald-Trump.jpg [ 98.92 KiB | Viewed 999 times ]

Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:30 pm
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Post Re: POLL: Countdown to Impeachment
I've voted for 2017. I'm feeling optimistic that he'll be given the boot within the year.

Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:31 pm
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Platinum Contributor

I'll go for this year, too. He's not starting slowly, with the unconstitutional travel ban in the first week, so a quick condemnation seems not unlikely. He'll soon be delivered a message by the muckety-mucks in the party: stop this bullshit or you'll have the stigma of impeachment. Conviction and removal from office are less likely, since that's never happened, but we've never had a guy so completely off the charts as Trump, so there could be a first. Of course, he could resign to prevent conviction, like Nixon did, and then rely on a pardon by Pence.

Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:49 am
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

BookTalk.org Moderator
Platinum Contributor

A pretty scary scenario is that those who are starting to protest the Trump administration will become more organized and more powerful and they will have to be quashed by police or the military force. In other words, it could get a lot worse before it gets better. I don't think this will happen because I don't think Trump really has the kind of appeal that will tolerate this overreach for very long. We already see Senators John McCain and Lindsey Graham challenging Trump on many of his decisions. If anything, our saving grace is that Trump doesn't play well with members of his own party.

As for when Trump will be impeached, the sooner the better. His ego is such that he doesn't know when to stop and his administration will quickly go into crisis mode. Indeed, it is already.

The following user would like to thank geo for this post:
Chris OConnor
Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:50 am
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Stupendously Brilliant

Silver Contributor

I voted that he wont be impeached.

If we consider Trump a debacle of white proportion then don't look to non-whites to ride in and save the day.
No Trump will not be impeached and truth be told I'm not so sure that his impeachment would be a good thing. Mike Pence is a debacle waiting in the wings. We're screwed, no doubt about it.

The last thing this GOP would initiate would be impeachment, like as not Trump is their guy and they will defend him as long as its their parties control that is on the line.

I have been looking at the DNC and I don't see any hope there as well. They are scrambling to regroup. Perhaps if Obama was to take on some sort of leadership roll, he might be a flag that can be rallied behind, but that would be a stretch.
The DNC and the House of Representatives are a major key to stopping this horror show that is Trump. The DNC needs a strong and moderate leader with impeccable credentials and they need to strongly go after house elections in 2018.

Trump may in the near future do something that scares the crap out of white America enough that there is majority change in the house but I would not bank on it. His team has contained their shit to stay in line with the laws governing their agenda. Their shrewd in their movements and betting on a catastrophe to sway that white vote is to long a shot.

The following user would like to thank Taylor for this post:
Chris OConnor
Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:54 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I issue my own library cards!

BookTalk.org Moderator
Silver Contributor

Re: POLL: Countdown to Impeachment
I voted 2019 for several reasons.
- Trump has not committed high crimes or misdemeanors. Yet. When he does, many of them will be celebrated by his supporters.
- As I recall from Nixon and B. Clinton it takes quite a while for that ball to get rolling and process. It cannot happen in 2017.
- Seems a bit weird to predict impeachment after re-election, but that's what would have happened to Nixon if he hadn't resigned.

Chris, after claiming you'd vote Democratic, didn't you ultimately vote for Trump? (Sorry if I'm misremembering.)

This has gotta be one of the sloppiest starts in Prez history...
:sosad:

Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:47 pm

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

No, I voted for Hillary Clinton this time.

The following user would like to thank Chris OConnor for this post:
johnson1010
Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:41 am
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Tenured Professor

BookTalk.org Moderator

He SHOULD have been impeached as soon as he turned around from having given his oath.

it should have been transparently obvious to the entire nation that he was a complete piece of garbage considering he himself offered the most resounding reasons to dislike and mistrust him. He flagrantly advertised his inability to do this job with every public appearance and it's only gotten worse.

Write and call your representatives. They need to know you've got their backs when this comes around.

To those concerned impeaching trump just leads to a Pence presidency, you can't clean all the shit off your shoe until you start wiping.

And consider the tremendous message that will be illustrated with an impeachment. This behavior will not be tolerated, and whatever agenda you think you were following under trump has been resoundingly rejected. And you will be too, if you pursue it.

Pence would be the first, 1st year lame duck president.

Have you tried that? Looking for answers?
Or have you been content to be terrified of a thing you know nothing about?

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?

Confidence being an expectation built on past experience, evidence and extrapolation to the future. Faith being an expectation held in defiance of past experience and evidence.

The following user would like to thank johnson1010 for this post:
Chris OConnor, Interbane
Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:32 am
Years of membershipYears of membership
Brilliant

I picked 2018 but he is certainly doing everything he can to ensure it will be 2017 and i will be happy to be wrong in my pick. Then, of course, Pence becomes president so it's a long four years no matter what. But Trump has to go.

Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:18 pm
Profile Email
Brilliant

I'll say this for Pence--he knows how to play the game. He has tact. He doesn't piss all over decorum. He doesn't hurl insults. He's a snake but a president has to have tact. I don't believe for a second that he would have picked a fight with Australia, China and Mexico all at once. He's smarter and smoother than that. Trump is just a big wild ape running loose in an antique shop. Pence might sell the antiques behind our backs but Trump will break them and shit all over them. With Pence, there's a chance we can buy those antiques back some day but they're gone forever if we don't stop Trump.

The following user would like to thank DB Roy for this post:
Chris OConnor, geo
Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:28 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Stupendously Brilliant

Silver Contributor

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impeachment_in_th ... ted_States

and

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twenty-fifth_Amen ... nstitution

From the "what non-fiction should we discuss next thread" We are linked to Hannah Arendt's "The Origins of Totalitarianism" I read the available preface's and one of the things that I found to be apropos of what we are living now is her reference to single party rule as being a semi-fascism.

The following user would like to thank Taylor for this post:
Chris OConnor
Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:32 am
Profile Email

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Well said, DB Roy.

Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:38 pm
Profile Email WWW
So many e-books my reader is overweight!

Silver Contributor

This was a terribly handled election by both parties. Neither had an acceptable candidate in my opinion so I voted Libertarian. One thing I appreciate about this choice, is the ability to sit back and watch followers of the lead candidates from both parties objectively. I believe the show put on by both sides will color how I place my vote going forward, as I feel like I am somewhere in the middle on nearly all of it. Perhaps we need a third strong party in this country. It would hopefully make things better. I think there is an increasing number of people who are looking at the current goings on and shaking their heads. I don't think Trump will be impeached, but I believe both parties will pay better attention to their constituents when the next election comes along

"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
I am haunted by waters.”

The following user would like to thank CoolSummer for this post:
Chris OConnor
Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:17 pm
Profile Email

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

CoolSummer wrote:
I think there is an increasing number of people who are looking at the current goings on and shaking their heads.

I think you're right. And we feel trapped in our current two-party system with our hands tied. I changed from being a Republican to independent about a decade ago for exactly what you said. I felt disappointed in bot parties and how just about everyone I met was mentally on autopilot just parroting back the positions of their party and not actually thinking critically about those positions. To me this is due to the confirmation bias where people have a natural tendency to seek out and support stuff they already believe and tune out anything that conflicts with their beliefs. They don't even evaluate the facts. It all happens on a subconscious level that seems to bypass their brain's critical thinking center.

I don't want to be like that. I don't want my conscious brain to be a passenger with my subconscious brain doing the driving. So I left and went on my own. I now flip around and watch many different news channels and it is remarkable how biased each can be. They report the exact same story in totally different ways. I want to rise above this as best as possible.

Again: User Control Panel > Profile > Bio

Have fun!

Fri May 26, 2017 12:03 pm
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Book Critic

Highscores: 1

I haven't read all the comments so if I am repeating someone, excuse me. I voted that Trump won't be impeached; actually I was thinking of his being convicted and removed from office. Remember, impeachment is actually like an indictment in a criminal case. The House of Representatives impeaches; the Senate tries the case. Two presidents have been impeached, Andrew Johnson and Bill Clinton. Neither was convicted.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein

Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:55 am
Profile Email
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page 1, 2  Next