• In total there are 5 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 4 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Westboro Baptist Church demo foiled!

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Frank 013
Worthy of Worship

Westboro Baptist Church demo foiled!

Unread post

I saw this article on facebook and thought it deserved to be posted… despite the obvious differences in opinion and belief we have here on BookTalk I think everyone can agree that the Westboro Baptist church is more of a hate group than an actual religious group… and in that spirit we can agree that seeing them thwarted is a good thing… below is an excerpt from the linked article.
The Westboro Baptist Church once again makes the headlines. This time however, the good news is that they were foiled in their attempts to disrupt another serviceman’s funeral. Mississippi gives the Westboro the kind of welcome that we would all like to give.
see the whole article here...

http://www.retirelikeme.com/2011/04/21/ ... ist-plans/

Later
That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.
Dexter

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I dumpster dive for books!
United States of America

Re: Westboro Baptist Church demo foiled!

Unread post

I saw that. I don't normally condone violence, but they're asking for it -- sometimes a little ass whoopin' is called for.
Azrael
Masters

Unread post

Shows what a belief in a system of religion that has killed millions will do for you, they should have beat the crap out of all of them.
patrickt
Atop the Piled Books

Unread post

A. Apparently we can't agree that Westboro is a hate group and not a valid church. One poster used this as an opportunity to pursue his childish hatreds. Rather sad.

B. We have to be careful cheering the police when they cross the line because you never know when it will be you across the line.
Frank 013
Worthy of Worship

Unread post

I am a law abiding citizen and ex-Law enforcement... so I am relatively safe. And I do not think the police crossed the line… they simply ran interference so the “protesters” did not violate the rights of the family to have a peaceful funeral…

Which in that town probably saved the protesters a world of hurt.

Later
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

Unread post

It offends me that these people use the words Baptist and Church in connection with their group. They are vile, disgusting, hurtful, lily livered, toad licking, snail sucking, slime slurping, mamby pambied, sewage swimming perverts. They embody everything that Christians stand against and I struggle to see how even Jesus can love them. But He can. I don't know if these people are actually Christians, but their behavior shows no evidence that they are.

Thank you Frank013 for sharing this.
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

where n are natural numbers.
patrickt
Atop the Piled Books

Unread post

I'm a retired police officer. I am aware that the Supreme Court has held this group of nuts has a right to protest. I am unaware of a recognized right to have a peaceful funeral. My family rarely has peaceful funerals.

I worked through the demonstrations in the 60s and 70s and believe the police have to take the side of the law and not personal feelings.

I grew up in a southern town in the 50s and the police sided with the KKK then. I didn't approve then, and I don't approve now. We had a strike at a brewery and the police who responded to reports of assaults and vandalism arrived to high-five the strikers and loudly strut around calling them "brother". I didn't approve of that, either. And, abortion clinic duty. If the officer can't leave his personal feelings aside he needs to request reassignment.

The people in a town in Missouri shot and killed a miserable S.O.B. No one saw anything. When the feds arrived to investigate, no one saw anything. As an individual, I can applaud what they did. As a police officer, I would have arrested them.
Frank 013
Worthy of Worship

Unread post

Stahrwe
It offends me that these people use the words Baptist and Church in connection with their group. They are vile, disgusting, hurtful, lily livered, toad licking, snail sucking, slime slurping, mamby pambied, sewage swimming perverts. They embody everything that Christians stand against and I struggle to see how even Jesus can love them. But He can. I don't know if these people are actually Christians, but their behavior shows no evidence that they are.

Thank you Frank013 for sharing this.
Yea, I thought we would agree on this one.
Patrickt
I'm a retired police officer. I am aware that the Supreme Court has held this group of nuts has a right to protest. I am unaware of a recognized right to have a peaceful funeral.
That is technically true… however these people do tread on others rights by being vulgar, aggressive, bullish and threatining… during others personal family events… As far as I know the right to protest does not include being able to tread on the rights of others by hounding/threatining them and their lifestyle... that is harassment. But the Supreme Court cannot change the rules for one offensive group of hateful bullies… so now (as always) law enforcement has to deal with them individually when they violate the rights of others.
Patrickt
I worked through the demonstrations in the 60s and 70s and believe the police have to take the side of the law and not personal feelings.
I agree.
Patrickt
I grew up in a southern town in the 50s and the police sided with the KKK then. I didn't approve then, and I don't approve now. We had a strike at a brewery and the police who responded to reports of assaults and vandalism arrived to high-five the strikers and loudly strut around calling them "brother". I didn't approve of that, either. And, abortion clinic duty. If the officer can't leave his personal feelings aside he needs to request reassignment.
Again agreed.
Patrickt
The people in a town in Missouri shot and killed a miserable S.O.B. No one saw anything. When the feds arrived to investigate, no one saw anything. As an individual, I can applaud what they did. As a police officer, I would have arrested them.
And that is exactly what is happening here… individual opinions… my comment about the police not crossing the line is not a professional critique but one of common sense… had those protesters been free to go ahead as planned the police would have probably been responding to an assault/battery or possibly even homicide/s. instead they will now face a law suit for their interference… in my personal opinion this is actually a better solution.

But you’re right; an officer’s personal feelings should take a back seat to the law when on the job, however in this case the actions of the police may have protected people better than following the rules, IMO.

Later
Azrael
Masters

Unread post

patrickt wrote:I'm a retired police officer. I am aware that the Supreme Court has held this group of nuts has a right to protest. I am unaware of a recognized right to have a peaceful funeral. My family rarely has peaceful funerals.

I do not care if they are from Sky Daddy himself disrespect to the dead is one of the most low life things one can do! Using a religious front weather it be baptists. methodists or what it is they have no frigging right to disrespect the dead or those relatives or loved ones of the deceased! Far as I am concerned anyone or group that does this is the lowest form of life on earth!
A. Apparently we can't agree that Westboro is a hate group and not a valid church. One poster used this as an opportunity to pursue his childish hatreds. Rather sad.
You damn right its a hatred! I despise anyone that degrades or disturbs the dead this crosses the line with me and I do not care who here does not like it.

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”