• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 748 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:37 am

To what extent is moral behavior situational?

#41: Nov. - Dec. 2007 (Non-Fiction)
genarroyo
Official Newbie!

Unread post

I believe that morality is largely situational. Slave owners in the United States certainly believed that they were good, God fearing people who had a right to own other human beings.

I bet that this "situational" thing causes a lot of headaches for the military (with respect to sending our troops to war). On the one hand the military needs to create people who are capable of killing other people and the soldiers have to adapt to a whole new world. BUT-the military can't create complete killing machines devoid of morals. How is that balance found?
jales4
Intern

Unread post

This is qwaszxter - I had a mixup with usernames - which I've explained in an email to Chris. Jales4 is the username I wish to use.
For instance, would you give the Abu Ghraib defendants a pass if, instead of arguing that their context convinced them that it wouldn't be immoral to torture and humiliate inmates, the argued that in that particular context it simply was moral, and no change in context could invalidate that it was, in that particular time and place, okay to do what they did?
I do not believe that what the guards did IS moral, but I do believe that as humans, we could be easily convinced that it is. (I haven't read far enough into the book to reach the Abu Ghraib section - but I wonder, did the guards think what they were doing was moral at the time? And if so, do they still think their actions were moral now that they are out of that situation?)

As for their defense, I do believe that the situation HAS to be taken into consideration both in finding where guilt lies, and also in considering the sentence.

Someone who randomly goes out and tortures someone should receive a harsher sentence than someone who tortures in a situation like in Abu Ghraib.
Or would you say that there is no such thing as morality apart from the circumstances that prevail in a given time and place? And if so, then are we justified in judging other people's behavior from the assumptions of our own time and place?
Hmmmm, that is something that I really don't know - but I would definetly like to hear some thoughts from both sides. I have very little knowledge about how morality comes about. I know a bit about the nature/nurture debate, and a bit about society's influence on morality, but not enough to respond to your question. Please tell me what you think, and if you can, a bit of what the opposing argument would look like.

I believe in two popular sentiments: "you should walk a mile in a man's moccasins before you judge him" and "there but by the grace of God go I".

I guess by believing these sentiments to be true, I have somewhat of a belief that morality is situational.

As an aside - is there a non-religious variant of the 'there but by the grace of God go I" quote?
seeker
Float like a butterfly, post like a bee!

Unread post

I think it is generally acknowledged that if a person is put under enough physical stress (torture, for example), s/he can be broken. Why would not the same thing be true of mental stress? I'm thinking specifically here of the recent case where a mother of several young children, who was also caring for infirm parents and going through post-partem depression, broke down under the stress and murdered her children.
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Unread post

MadArchitect wrote:
But does the fact that we can convince ourselves that doing X is moral actually make it moral?
I guess it comes down to the question: Is morality something definite and set in stone, or is it a creation of the human species to facilitate civilization?

I tend to think that it is more the latter. So from that vantage, the answer to your question is yes...absolutely. But ONE person convincing oneself something is moral will not change the morality of the species as a whole.

Mr. P.
When you refuse to learn, you become a disease.
jales4
Intern

Unread post

misterpessimistic says:

I wish Zimbardo would have gone into just what screening, testing and judging they did on these people.
If you go to:http://www.thelucifereffect.com/about_c ... nsions.htm there is a bit of discussion about this.
[/url]
seeker
Float like a butterfly, post like a bee!

Unread post

Mr. Pessimistic said:
I guess it comes down to the question: Is morality something definite and set in stone, or is it a creation of the human species to facilitate civilization?

A few examples of situational ethics:

The most successful salesmen are the ones who are not only adept at conning others, but are able to con themselves into believing that the product they are pedalling is what you need.

The highest paid executives are those who are willing to make the really tough decisions, such as, "how many human lives is a cheaper bumper worth?"

"Liberals have no principles." -- Conservative credo
"Conservatives have no principles." -- Liberal credo

"Urban ghetto life is all about surviving by developing useful 'street-smart' strategies. That means figuring out who has power that can be used against you or to help you, whom to avoid, and with whom you should ingratiate yourself. It means deciphering subtle situational cues for when to fold, creating reciprocal obligations, and determining what it takes to make the transition from follower to leader." -- Philip Zimbardo

"We fought and died for every inch of this land." - Israeli West Bank settler
jales4
Intern

Unread post

MadArchitect wrote:Or would you say that there is no such thing as morality apart from the circumstances that prevail in a given time and place? And if so, then are we justified in judging other people's behavior from the assumptions of our own time and place?
So far, and I am still pondering this, I would agree with your statement above - as I can find ways to justify lying, stealing, taking the life of another human being, and many other immoral things, all in certain situations.

I don't believe that morals are absolute. And if they aren't, then when judging another person, we MUST take their situation into consideration.
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Unread post

jales4 wrote:I don't believe that morals are absolute. And if they aren't, then when judging another person, we MUST take their situation into consideration.
Okay, so if morality is always situational, then how do we go about assessing it in any given situation? Is there a set of criteria that would tell us how to take a person's situation into account when attempting to judge their behavior? Or are we stuck with a set of criteria that presume an absolute morality in judging events that always take their cue from a morality that is situational at best? Which ought ultimately to lead us to the question of whether or not we can ever competently judge an action?
If this rule were always observed; if no man allowed any pursuit whatsoever to interfere with the tranquility of his domestic affections, Greece had not been enslaved, Caesar would have spared his country, America would have been discovered more gradually, and the empires of Mexico and Peru had not been destroyed. -- Mary Shelley, "Frankenstein; or The Modern Prometheus"
jales4
Intern

Unread post

Which ought ultimately to lead us to the question of whether or not we can ever competently judge an action?
This will give me something to think about at work today - but off the top of my head:

I see this observation as more of a preventative measure - if we know situation x is likely to cause certain behavior, what can we as a society do to either change the situation, or if we can't change the situation, then we can offer support for those in that situation, with the hopes of changing the outcome.

Sorry for the run-on, I don't have time to reword, I'm out the door to work.

[/quote]
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Unread post

MadArchitect wrote: Okay, so if morality is always situational, then how do we go about assessing it in any given situation? Is there a set of criteria that would tell us how to take a person's situation into account when attempting to judge their behavior? Or are we stuck with a set of criteria that presume an absolute morality in judging events that always take their cue from a morality that is situational at best? Which ought ultimately to lead us to the question of whether or not we can ever competently judge an action?
Well, this is precisely what we as a species have been trying to figure out for tens of thousands of years. We have a lot of work to do but I think we have been making improvements. One thing we did was develop (consciously and not) a system of morals by which to judge behaviors. It is not a perfect system and may never be...but it is all we have so we continue to work it all out.

Just because a system of morality/ethics/law is not inviolate does not make it ok for us to just assume we have no competency in judging situations by using it. We will not hit a home run everytime, but at least we have come this far. It is a work in progress and what is so bad about that?

Mr. P.
When you refuse to learn, you become a disease.

Return to “The Lucifer Effect: Understanding How Good People Turn Evil - by Philip Zimbardo”