• In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 709 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:09 am

To tweet or not to tweet?

A forum for authors, as well as aspiring authors, to connect, network, and converse about all facets of writing, publishing, and promotion.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Robert Clear
Official Newbie!

To tweet or not to tweet?

Unread post

That is the question.

Or, more specifically: should I join Twitter in order to promote my book?

If any other authors here have taken the plunge I'd love to hear about your experiences, and whether it's all been worthwhile.

All the best
Robert
www.the-cambridge-list.blogspot.com
LPOBryan
Getting Comfortable

Re: To tweet or not to tweet?

Unread post

Hi,

I have been on Twitter for over a year and I think it's great. I have accumulated a good number of followers by investing about an hour a week following others. Many will follow you back.

I got over 40 personal messages of support when I announced I was offered a contract on Twitter. It felt great!

So I'm all for it.

Laurence
@lpobryan
Gary Val Tenuta
Eligible to vote in book polls!

Unread post

I don't know how much it helps but, in my opinion, it can't hurt. :)
You know what they say (whoever "they" are :wink: ), Exposure, Exposure, Exposure. Can't have enough exposure.

I've been tweeting about my books for about 3 years. I think it's important to tweet other things besides just your book so your followers don't get bored with you :yawn: or feel like they're being relentlessly bombarded by your book tweets.:bash:

There are some writers on Facebook groups (like Author Central) who have organized "tweet fests" where they all list the tweets they'd like the others in the group to tweet for them. It's a pretty cool idea because some of those people already have many hundreds of followers who will see those tweets. It can mean that your tweets could be seen by many thousands of other Twitterheads. Twitterites? Twitterphiles? Whatever. :lol:
ASH: Return Of The Beast
A fictional supernatural crime thriller, steeped in the occult and inspired by a real-life mystery.
http://www.ashreturnofthebeast.webs.com
ClaireRidgwayAuthor
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I think Twitter is great but, as Gary says, it's important to tweet about other things rather than just your book. I soon unfollow people who just tweet "buy my book", "here's the link for my book", "please 'like' my book" etc.
Claire Ridgway, best-selling author of The Anne Boleyn Collection and The Fall of Anne Boleyn: A Countdown, Tudor history addict and indie publishing blogger.
haviZsultan
Master Debater

Unread post

I have begun tweeting even before the book is launched. Hope it helps build up a large enough market. Twitter is a good tool but Gary is spot on when he says you have to tweet about different topics too. Not too hard for me. My only beef with twitter is that I spend hours upon hours on it and get no followers... maybe when I get famous it may be different.
Last edited by haviZsultan on Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jro8051
Official Newbie!

Unread post

I appreciate this discussion. I myself have wondered to tweet or not to tweet. I have decided to tweet!
Jill R. Seely, MS
Author of Road of Happiness: Finding Joy in Life's Journey
Roadofhappiness.com

Return to “Author's Lounge”