• In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 692 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:55 am

Tips to Promoting A Book!!!!

A forum for authors, as well as aspiring authors, to connect, network, and converse about all facets of writing, publishing, and promotion.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Parker71275
Official Newbie!

Tips to Promoting A Book!!!!

Unread post

I'm trying to Help my mother get her book out there in this world,I have looked at this computer for days until my eyes are crossed.LOL
My mother has always wanted to write a book since she was a teenager,she finally got her first one published in 2012 Three Forbidden Sons,,but she is at a standstill on getting it out there.My mother has always been about others,at 17 she and my dad had a business that they ran for quite sometime threw out my life,then they retired and became foster parent's and has took care of over 500 kids plus me ,my brother, lil sister and two adopted brothers..Now in her older years she is doing what she always wanted to do and that is writing with all the time in the world with just one kid still at home (my 2nd adopted brother),but her first book isn't going nowhere.And me being her daughter I'm trying to just give back alittle by trying to help her so if anyone has any tips whatsoever it would be very much appreciated....

Thanks Truly,
MaryBeard
Getting Comfortable

Re: Tips to Promoting A Book!!!!

Unread post

I have read a lot of tips on book promotion and a few of the things I read on a lot of them were
1. use social websites like Facebook, Twitter, create a website of her own.
2. if your book isn't selling well, try to change the book cover.
3. try different pricing options.

I am a new author as well and just published my first book. It's not selling great so I created my own website and I dropped the price of my book. I was originally asking 2.99 I'm now asking .99 but I only did that because I read an interview from an author that has 4 books on the top 100 paid list on amazon and he sells his books for only .99 so I'm trying his tactics. I don't know if it's worked yet because I just changed the price last night.

I hope this helps give some ideas.
Busygirlbooks
Creative Writing Student

Unread post

You are very sweet to be helping your mom realize her dream. She did a good job raising you!

I am linking here a blog which helped me immensely. I was lucky enough to find it before I had finished editing and before I had invested a lot of time and money in some of the promotional tactics I had heard suggested. There is a lot of information on her list and you may be overwhelmed by it. I simply went back each week and tackled one thing at a time. Some ideas have been more successful than others and there are still a few I haven't tried yet, but I found it to be a good place to start.

She is absolutely right about the power of goodreads.com and I highly recommend beginning to establish a presence there. I have to say that so far I have not found a comfortable forum there where I can share and just be me, like I have here at booktalk. That may be just that it takes a while to find the right group of people and there are so many readers and groups there that I just haven't found my niche and settled in completely. The give away function which I just signed up for in February has brought a ton of new readers to look at my book and add it to their "to read" list for very little investment and I have not even hit the deadline on it yet.

http://olgasdaughtersblog.wordpress.com ... omment-108

So check it out and I hope you have a lot of luck in promoting your mom's book. Stacey
Please check out "The E Word" at: http://www.amazon.com/The-word-entitlem ... t_ep_dpt_1

My book is about my successful journey to recognize and overcome a false sense of entitlement and how I have seen this challenge affect the lives of others.
Stacey Martin
JeremyBenson
Gaining experience

Unread post

The biggest thing is to understand marketing, and promoting. You can do a lot with a deep understanding of just those two elements of business. I would say that both are just about as important as the other, but that's just not the case. Once you have good marketing material you have to promote to get it to people, so promoting is very important. That doesn't mean that marketing isn't important though. If marketing is weak people wont want to buy the material.

1) Study Promotion.
2) Study Marketing.

For Promoting

1) Have a personal platform, such as a blog, or website.
2) Pass out business cards.
3) Pin up flyers in libraries around town, and other places with bulletin boards.
4) Set up book signings, and public speaking.
5) Utilize social media.

These are great starter tips. I offer a lot on my blog in the way of business information. It's all free to read. You can find the link in my signature. Also my latest title as a lot of in-depth information.
Check out 'Philosophies of Self-Publishing: Better Business' a truly unique read for self-publishing enthusiasts.
Amazon USA
Amazon Canada
Also my site:
http://www.jeremy-benson.com

Return to “Author's Lounge”