• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Thoughts on the tragedy of disbelief

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Asana Bodhitharta

Re: Thoughts on the benifits of disbelief

Unread post

Quote:How is there beauty that I miss? I still get all misty-eyed when I think about some trips I've taken to state parks. They're wonderful. The woods, the mountains-- nothing like getting out there for some fresh air and nature.Think about art-- look at what human beings can come up with. Great paintings, sculpture, so many different kinds of music-- that's beauty as well.Why would something be less valuable because it is 'random'? What's so bad about that? To me, the temporary nature of life makes it even more precious.How can you be grateful for these things if you believe they are random?Who would you be grateful to?
Asana Bodhitharta

Unread post

Quote:Yea, the something is, these two bddies trying to get out of the war zone by using over stressed and going crazy defense, the second guy was just not original enough to make up his own story. That is additional evidence that was left out of the initial story. Now if they are trying to get out of the war zone by using this going crazy defense and the second guy wanted to use the same defense it wouldn't be crazy enough to try to back the original story. In-fact the second guy would be hindering the first guy from being thought of as simply crazy.
Frank 013
Worthy of Worship

Unread post

No, not additional evidence but a logical conclusion based on the evidence at hand Pvt. Dodo and his friend both wrote the same baseless crazy report.There are 4 possibilities each with varying degrees of rational likelihoods.1. They are trying to make people believe that they are crazy2. They were playing a prank (at the risk of their military careers) 3. One or both really are crazy.4. The stories or some close approximation is true. The first three would be investigated heavily until it was either removed as a possibility or was discovered to be the motivation.The last one would never even be considered. It is just too stupid and outrageous to even deem plausible.Later
Asana Bodhitharta

Unread post

Quote:No, not additional evidence but a logical conclusion based on the evidence at hand Pvt. Dodo and his friend both wrote the same baseless crazy report.There are 4 possibilities each with varying degrees of rational likelihoods.1. They are trying to make people believe that they are crazy2. They were playing a prank (at the risk of their military careers) 3. One or both really are crazy.4. The stories or some close approximation is true. The first three would be investigated heavily until it was either removed as a possibility or was discovered to be the motivation.Pay attention! If all three of these are removed......Quote:The last one would never even be considered. It is just too stupid and outrageous to even deem plausible.Then the fourth possibility statistically rises in probability. That is a fact!
Frank 013
Worthy of Worship

Unread post

The first three were never removed as possibilities.The last one is not realistic enough for reasonable people to consider.
Asana Bodhitharta

Unread post

Quote:The first three were never removed as possibilities.The last one is not realistic enough for reasonable people to consider.You were the one discussing those possibilities being removed the result of your comment led me to state the obvious fact of statistics.

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”