• In total there are 58 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 57 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

This year's election: The lesser of three evils.

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.

Who are you supporting this year?

Hillary Clinton

69%
Donald Trump

31%

Total votes: 16
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Re: This year's election: The lesser of three evils.

Unread post

Clinton has only a four point lead over Trump, according the the Washington Post. How weird is that, at this point? Definitely points to the weakness of Clinton, but still, come on. We can't have a sophomoric buffoon this close to occupying the White House.
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Unread post

Hillary's lead currently translates to an 87% chance of winning. We'll see what effect the debate Weds night 10/19 has on this...

http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/201 ... -forecast/
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

A conservative group produced a video about Donald Trump.
It's called The Sociopath

In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
dulysearh2
Official Newbie!

Unread post

I totally agree with Cattleman. What is it and the whitehouse?! It equally makes your hair grow white too... anyway, my prayers go out to Americans.
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Unread post

From my previous post less than 3 weeks ago to now, Hillary's chances of winning have shrunk from 87% to 64%. With only 3 days to go, guess I'll take that but still.....AAaarrRRaagGGghHHhhh! :shock:

America CANNOT elect a 14 year old boy to the Presidency!
http://www.cc.com/video-clips/g6ce9k/th ... p-campaign
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

DWill wrote:...unencumbered by the thought process
God that's so dead accurate about Trump. It's like he doesn't think before, during or even after he speaks. How is it that this man is a billionaire while so many people that are far more rational, articulate and intelligent are just scraping by?
DWill wrote:It truly is disturbing to think of a person occupying the White House who has shown such an inability for connected thought.
Saturday Night Live has now put out numerous hilarious skits making fun of Trump's incoherent ramblings.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

That was pretty funny LanDroid!
Taylor

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Awesome

Unread post

Its like we're in the grand stands of an arena and the main attraction is a train wreck. At this hour it may be the pot of coffee I just drank or the anticipation of the collision to come but there are butterfly's in my stomach.
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
Australia

Unread post

The values contrast between Trump and Clinton is very complex. I think the reason that Trump is still in with a competitive chance, despite his faults, is that conservative voters perceive that Trump is dynamic and audacious and strong where Clinton is stagnant and timid and weak, and that Trump creates free open debate where Clinton sticks to failed elitist views. These core values trump Trump's errors in many eyes.

I have some emotional sympathy for Trump just on the philosophical basis that he is an Atlas Shrugged type of Fountainhead mogul in the Ayn Rand anticommunist mold, able to bring creative activity, just as the UK will prosper from Brexit. I think that objectivist philosophy is at the source of American exceptionalism, and I like how Trump echoes Ayn Rand. However, the risks of that sort of bold individualism are very high, too high, since it also comes with a lot of unwelcome bigoted baggage.

Maybe a good discussion about why Trump is so popular will be the major outcome of this election, otherwise it is Ivanka 2020. Rather like how the Le Pen daughter has toned down the National Front in France.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

I rather think you're at least partly recasting Trump in an image you favor, Robert, rather than seeing the man that's there. For me, the main strands of Trumpism are nativism, protectionism, and nostalgic longing for a past America that had no real competition. This hardly sounds like a creative destruction guy to me. His claim that Clinton is the candidate of yesterday rings a bit hollow for me, as does his self-proclaimed outsiderism. He worked the system for many years. As far as I can see, he hasn't expressed a single new idea.

The Ivanka idea may seem appealing to some. Does she have any gravitas at all, with her clothing line and what else to recommend her besides looks?

Return to “Current Events & History”