• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

The Will to Power, or The Gay Science, (Friedrich Nietzsche)

Authors are invited and encouraged to showcase their NON-FICTION books exclusively within this forum.
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

The Will to Power, or The Gay Science, (Friedrich Nietzsche)

Unread post

I know that Dissident is chomping at the bit to discuss Nietzsche on this site, and I've been meaning to revisit this particular work for some time now, so I thought we'd make it an open discussion -- a sideline to the quarterly readings, so to speak. Sound off if you're interested.To those who are already pretty familiar with Nietzsche -- say, anyone who has read at least two of his books -- how about we make it fair for newcomers by limiting the length of our posts? I'd rather see a half-dozen to a dozen people of varying levels of familiarity reading through "The Will to Power" together than have the discussion dominated by two or three individuals who've read the majority of his catalog. I don't want to put any strict limits on it, but just try to think of some ways that you can make this discussion accessible without pandering.
Dissident Heart

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I dumpster dive for books!

Re: The Will to Power, or The Gay Science, (Friedrich Nietzs

Unread post

Considering "Will to Power" is a collection of notes which Nietzsche never intended to have published as a single book, I think we might do better to tackle a work he actually penned as a final product. We can always refer to "Will to Power" as ideas and arguments prove pertinent, but I don't think it a useful study in itself. Nietzsche, like most writers, utilized his notebooks for multiple reasons: brief sketches of undeveloped ideas, fleeting inspirations, sudden "A-Ha's!", and mixed notions, arguments, and fragments of narratives that may or may not reflect what we actually think. The The Gay Science: With a Prelude in German Rhymes and an Appendix of Songs is a treasure of fruitful ideas and challenging perspectives. It is written in vintage Nietzschean aphoristic style, and may prove easier to digest for the greenhorn reader.
riverc0il
Senior

Re: The Will to Power, or The Gay Science, (Friedrich Nietzs

Unread post

i would be interested in such a discussion; however, i really would be to re-read some selections before making a discussion. are you suggesting those specific texts or the concept in general as DH suggests?

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!”