Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:16 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average. 
The Walking Dead is awesome! 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Tenured Professor

Post The Walking Dead is awesome!
Anybody who has taken an interest in zombie related entertainment should check out AMC's "The Walking Dead", based on the long running comic series of the same name, directed and mostly written by Frank Darabont. Director of the Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile, and The Mist, all great movies.

Star,
Quote:
I love the show!!!

My daughter says that the zombie attack on the camp might have been payback by Merle.
I am not sure about that.

I also think I figured out what Jennings whispherd to Rick at just before the CDC blew up.
I think some or all of the group is infected (remember the blood tests. Rick asked if theyturned out ok and Jennings replied, "No surprises".) What do you think?

I don't think it was Merle. He seems more the kind to show up with a gun, not the type that would think to lure zombies to the others. It was probably just them maknig too much noise over time. that car alarm probably didn't help.

My wife and I were really disappointed with the under-preparedness of the campers during that attack. What the hell? Within a day of a zombie apocalypse i would set up terrain defenses.. FIRST THING when making camp. We would have high ground, a defensible position, and everybody would know exactly what to do, just like a fire drill, if... no, WHEN the zombies show up.

I understand people had to die in that scene to push the show forward, i just wish that they would have looked like they had some kind of plan for dealing and it just didn't work as well as they would have liked. instead it looked like everybody was surprised that there were zombies in the world.

Wife beating red-neck. "Oh, hey! You're not my wife. Say, what happened to your face? It looks kinda dead or something."

Zombie "NOM NOM NOM NOM"

He didn't even try to scream and warn everybody, or even in mortal terror.

I did some research, skip the below if you don't want to get a potential spoiler.

POTENTIAL SPOILER

In the comics it is later revealed that the virus has already infected everybody. The virus itself doesn't kill people. The bites are like Komodo dragon bites, they cause lethal infections but it isn't the Z virus that takes the people out. At one point in the books, a person is killed by another survivor and they resurrect without having been bitten. I think that is part of the reason Jenner would be so "sad cindy" on everybody.

Have you tried that? Looking for answers?
Or have you been content to be terrified of a thing you know nothing about?

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?

Confidence being an expectation built on past experience, evidence and extrapolation to the future. Faith being an expectation held in defiance of past experience and evidence.

Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:53 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

BookTalk.org Moderator
Platinum Contributor

Post Re: The Walking Dead is awesome!
I've been watching The Walking Dead too. I thought the pilot was very, very good, but since then the show hasn't grabbed me as much. As you say, johnson, there are some inconsistencies with reality that come up now and then. I thought the CDC episode was especially weak. The characters aren't very interesting to me so far. All that said, I'm still watching it.

One of my favorite shows these days is also on AMC: Breaking Bad.

Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:14 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Tenured Professor

The characters are a little bit architypical.

Shane is actually the most interesting to me at the moment because they are actually giving him an arc to follow. It helps us understand how he is developing into a villain of sorts, but also how normal people can be pushed to those things under horrible circumstances.

The CDC episode was wholly a creation of the show runners and diverges quite a bit from teh books, which explicitly never give the characters any hope of ever discovering the cause of the event, or a chance at a cure. It also dilluted the possibilities hinted at when the one sister died and her living sister stayed at her side to see her one last time as a zombie. We now know that there is no humanity left in the zombies, so why should anyone feel any conflict about snuffing out their newly ressurected child? I think they should have left that question in the air for a while at least.

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?

Confidence being an expectation built on past experience, evidence and extrapolation to the future. Faith being an expectation held in defiance of past experience and evidence.

Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:22 pm
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

Diamond Contributor

Entertainment Weekly says the creators were given very little time to come up with the shows. The next batch will be about a year in hte making so they may have fixed the issues. Beats anothe cooking contest, except for maybe a zombie cooking show, but they like things raw.

where n are natural numbers.

The following user would like to thank stahrwe for this post:
youkrst
Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:30 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Worthy of Worship

Loved that show... I can't wait for the new (whole) season!!!

The following user would like to thank Frank 013 for this post:
youkrst
Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:45 pm
Profile Email
Tenured Professor

Rick Grimes, master of the Dad joke.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/awesomer/greate ... ick-grimes

The following user would like to thank johnson1010 for this post:
youkrst
Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:46 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.