Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:40 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page Previous  1, 2
The Progressive's choice of religion: Politics 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Book Hoarder

BookTalk.org Moderator
Silver Contributor

Post Re: The Progressive's choice of religion: Politics
Good job Ant, you found one!
Meanwhile millions of Christians believe God has anointed President Trump to carry out His will, and opposition to Trump is demonic.

Isaiah 1:15

But if there is serious injury, you are to take life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, burn for burn, wound for wound, bruise for bruise.
Exodus 21: 23 - 25

Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:37 am
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Gold Contributor

LanDroid wrote:
Good job Ant, you found one!
Meanwhile millions of Christians believe God has anointed President Trump to carry out His will, and opposition to Trump is demonic.

I'm not here to defend Christianity. I'm actually simply pointing out what has happened before - loss of religion (truth / falsity aside) = replacement by socio-politico religiosity.

The lib in the youtube vid is just one example of what's currently taking place in Trump Deranged SyndromeLand. The left are also fervent adherents to the myth of "absolute evil." In this sense it doesn't matter that the evil we are currently experiencing stems from a mythical figure. To politically obsessed libs the evil is political in nature and must be vanquished by their absolute "good" political worldview. A political savior is needed. Someone like Ocasio-Cortez, or some other simpleton.
The loss of the left's political power is like the loss of the existence of all that is good (God) in their little bubbled lives.

Also, I'd say your claim that "millions of Christians" believe God is on the side of Trump is numerically unfounded.

Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:18 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Book Hoarder

BookTalk.org Moderator
Silver Contributor

All righty, here's some data on your last sentence.
Quote:
God and the 2016 Election
In comparison, more than one-quarter (28%) of Americans believe God played a major role in determining the outcome of the 2016 election. Thirteen percent say God played a minor role and a majority (55%) say God did not play any role at all in the presidential election. Perceptions about God’s influence in politics varied markedly by political and religious affiliation.

Close to half (45%) of Republicans believe God intervened to help President Donald Trump win the presidency, compared to 26% of independents and only 18% of Democrats. Nearly seven in ten (69%) Democrats believe God had no hand in determining the outcome of the election.

https://www.prri.org/research/poll-supe ... marijuana/
(The article starts with the Super Bowl, scroll down to the relevant section.)

Clearly that survey by the Public Religion Research Institute supports the claim that millions of Christians believe Trump was installed in the Presidency by an Omnipotent, Omniscient, Omnibenevolent, Omnificent, and Omnipresent Triune Deity.

Dammit, we missed the chance to discuss this Supernatural Election in the book God and Donald Trump by Stephen Strang. Here's a photo of Trump holding up the book; I'm sure he totally believes the premise.

Attachments:
Donald-Trump-God.jpg
Donald-Trump-God.jpg [ 25.97 KiB | Viewed 1001 times ]

But if there is serious injury, you are to take life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, burn for burn, wound for wound, bruise for bruise.
Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:42 am
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Reading Addict

Quote:
Close to half (45%) of Republicans believe God intervened to help President Donald Trump win the presidency, compared to 26% of independents and only 18% of Democrats.

Wait, 18% of Democrats believe God intervened to help Trump win? Have they not heard of Satan? Or did 18% of Dems prefer Trump to Clinton? I'm all confused.

Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:55 pm
Profile Email
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Gold Contributor

narrowed specifically to evangelical republicans - duh

showcasing it as 45% of all republicans is disingenuous.

lame

Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:47 pm
Profile Email
Book Hoarder

BookTalk.org Moderator
Silver Contributor

That 45% stat is not limited to evangelical republicans. The main point under discussion here is whether millions of Americans believe God helped Trump win; the following statement indicates that's true.
Quote:
In comparison, more than one-quarter (28%) of Americans believe God played a major role in determining the outcome of the 2016 election.

It's going to be interesting to watch and see who God picked to win the Super Bowl this evening.
Quote:
One-quarter (25%) of Americans believe God plays a role in determining the outcome of sporting events.
...Nearly half (49%) of the public believes God rewards athletes who have faith with good health and success...

Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:05 am
Book Hoarder

BookTalk.org Moderator
Silver Contributor

Harry Marks wrote:
Quote:
Close to half (45%) of Republicans believe God intervened to help President Donald Trump win the presidency, compared to 26% of independents and only 18% of Democrats.

Wait, 18% of Democrats believe God intervened to help Trump win? Have they not heard of Satan? Or did 18% of Dems prefer Trump to Clinton? I'm all confused.

Yes between Jill Stein supporters, Bernie Sanders hold outs, and Dems who refused to vote, perhaps 18% do believe God answered their prayers? :x

Jeffrey Toobin says Howard Schultz is a gift from God to Trump. If Schultz doesn't implode quickly, steel yourself.......for 8 years of Trump.

Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:21 am
Reading Addict

LanDroid wrote:
Yes between Jill Stein supporters, Bernie Sanders hold outs, and Dems who refused to vote, perhaps 18% do believe God answered their prayers?
Mebbe these are the folks who thought that if things got bad enough, the Dems would look better. Sort of worked in 2018. Sort of not.

LanDroid wrote:
If Schultz doesn't implode quickly, steel yourself.......for 8 years of Trump.
I'm most definitely putting my head in the sand on this one. Don't need any heart attacks.

Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:02 pm
Profile Email
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page Previous  1, 2