• In total there are 4 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

The Problem with Beliefs

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

The Problem with Beliefs

Unread post

By Jim Walkerwww.nobeliefs.com/beliefs.htmQuote:People have slaughtered each other in wars, inquisitions, and political actions for centuries and still kill each other over beliefs in religions, political ideologies, and philosophies. These belief-systems, when stated as propositions, may appear mystical, and genuine to the naive, but when confronted with a testable bases from reason and experiment, they fail miserably. I maintain that beliefs create more social problems than they solve and that beliefs, and especially those elevated to faith, produce the most destructive potential to the future of humankind.Mr. P. The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.I came to get down, I came to get down. So get out ya seat and jump around - House of PainHEY! Is that a ball in your court? - Mr. P
bijnke

Re: The Problem with Beliefs

Unread post

I agree with you; what is also pernicious in Christianity is the teaching that we humans have been given the Earth and all it's animals to do with as we please,and that 'The World' is somehow evil and to be despised. This ,I believe leads to the pollution of our planet and our,collective, cruelty to animals.
RickU

Re: The Problem with Beliefs

Unread post

Indeed, it could be argued for many species that they are the human's evolutionary equivelent. We evolved to our current state relatively recently by geo standards...as did many other species...and one could argue that they are as evolved as we are...within their genus. In Vino Veritas
Dissident Heart

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I dumpster dive for books!

Christian Eco-Theology

Unread post

There is no question Christianity has lent its weight to the ecological devastation of our Planet- offering reasons for human domination and planetary subjugation. But, this is not the only way to understand Christian love of Creation. On the contrary, as the Booktalk forum section Sacred Water makes clear, there is a great amount of care, protection, honor, celebration, and love of the Earth at the core of Christian faith.This article from Sojourners Magazine offers an excellent starting point for exploring the world of Christian Eco-Theology: Culture WatchEco-Theology GemsThe best reading on Christianity and the environment.by Tanya Marcovna BarnettLikewise, examine Earth Ministry where the organizing mission involves:Quote:Earth Ministry helps connect Christian faith with care and justice for all creation. Our work engages individuals and congregations in knowing God more fully through deepening relationships with all God's creation. We believe that through this experience both personal lives and cultures can be transformed. These transformations include discovering a worldview that sees creation as a revelation of God, practicing simplified living and environmental stewardship, and seeking justice for all God's creation. Together these enhance the vitality of the Christian faith.There's no denying the mess Christianity has made, and in many ways continues doing...thus the value of lifting up those Christian voices that offer an alternative.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: Christian Eco-Theology

Unread post

Quote:But, this is not the only way to understand Christian love of Creation.By creation you mean something poetic or symbolic I hope.Chris "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." - Nelson Mandella
Dissident Heart

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I dumpster dive for books!

Unread post

Quote:By creation you mean something poetic or symbolic I hope.Well, when addressing all that has been, is, or will ever be...from the futhest reaches of dark matter and galactic cluster, to the deepest internal structures of the most minute sub-atomic realms...from all forms of mineral, vegetal, animal, human, and cosmic existence...when discussing this bodacious enormity- poetry and symbolism are essential tools. As is hope, which you remembered to include.In the context of Christian Eco-theology, all of this is called "Creation" and is miraculously entertwined in a divine love-affair with a mysterious abyss that is neither personal or impersonal, but far more than merely an "it".
bernt

Unread post

belief could be rather ok but literalistic rigid fundamentalism is bad regardless if it is secular ideology. What about convictions. they are related to havign a belief. Some say that the french word for belief is conviction. Is it a less rigid held trust in something. Like me having trust in that the Sun goes up next morning too. The mass required to change the rotation of earth is soo vast that we would know of such being in the near future. It woudl not suddenly stop rotating the earth I mean. So I am convinced of it to be approximately to be trusted to revolce one more day. How else t otalk about such things one trust in? It is not blind faith and irrational belief either so is it ok to say I ahve a convictions? Me not a native user of your lang. Bernt
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Unread post

I agree bernt. Beliefs are not my problem...it is the ignoance inherent in the fundamentalism. The people who believe beyond all reason that what they are told or what they simply perceive is absolute.My convictions are true, but I would not hesitate to modify them based on credible information to the contrary.Mr. P. The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.I came to get down, I came to get down. So get out ya seat and jump around - House of PainHEY! Is that a ball in your court? - Mr. P

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”