Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:16 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
The Maragha Revolution (Astronomy) 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Gold Contributor

Post Re: The Maragha Revolution (Astronomy)
Quote:
Islam has a more scientific bend to it than Christianity, but that is just my opinion.

yes. it's also an uninformed opinion.

but this isn't supposed to be a pissing contest.

The following user would like to thank ant for this post:
Interbane
Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:53 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

BookTalk.org Moderator
Gold Contributor

ant wrote:

Sure ant, troll some more.

Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:05 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Gold Contributor

Interbane wrote:
ant wrote:

Sure ant, troll some more.

I create a post titled "The Maragha Revolution" that highlights a little known (safe to say) scientific achievement by Islam, after which two people come in and attempt to redirect the conversation toward yet another attack on Christianity and that makes me a troll?

You claim you've been browsing scholarly articles, after which I ask you to share one that backs your claim that Christianity and Islam have historically fought against the conclusions of science, and I'm trolling because I asked?

:slap:

Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:14 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

BookTalk.org Moderator
Gold Contributor

ant wrote:
You claim you've been browsing scholarly articles, after which I ask you to share one that backs your claim that Christianity and Islam have historically fought against the conclusions of science, and I'm trolling because I asked?

That's the opposite of what I said. For the third time, you misunderstood me.

Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:17 pm

Gold Contributor

Interbane wrote:
ant wrote:

That's the opposite of what I said. For the third time, you misunderstood me.

Interbane wrote:

Quote:
Both sides like to claim responsibility, in spite of fighting against the conclusions of science. It's like a Jerry Springer show. Science is the damned redheaded stepchild that they claim to love and love to hate.

Claim responsibility for what? For giving birth to science?

Show me where Islam has claimed responsibility for the birth of science.

Can you give me an example of Christianity despising science?

(everyone - get ready for a lesson on the Crusades and the Inquisition from Interbane)

you HAVE been watching to much Jerry Springer

Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:27 pm
Profile Email

BookTalk.org Moderator
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Show me where Islam has claimed responsibility for the birth of science.

http://www.realclearscience.com/blog/20 ... ethod.html

Quote:
Can you give me an example of Christianity despising science?

Despising? No. But fighting against the conclusions, sure(the second part of that quoted section is metaphor, if you're wondering). http://humansarefree.com/2013/12/9-scie ... ry-of.html

Here's what I said originally: "I browsed a few scholarly articles, and many employ the theme that Christianity and Islam were parents of science."

Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:27 pm

Gold Contributor

sorry, but that's not the house of Islam claiming or even wanting credit for the birth of science.

Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:40 am
Profile Email

BookTalk.org Moderator
Gold Contributor

ant wrote:
sorry, but that's not the house of Islam claiming or even wanting credit for the birth of science.

Don't be sorry. I wasn't talking about the "house of Islam". Stop trying so hard to straw man me. Go back to the start of this thread, and read everything slowly and carefully, and most importantly, with intellectual empathy.

Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:55 am

Gold Contributor

Interbane wrote:
ant wrote:

Don't be sorry. I wasn't talking about the "house of Islam". Stop trying so hard to straw man me. Go back to the start of this thread, and read everything slowly and carefully, and most importantly, with intellectual empathy.

My post was about a key Islamic contribution to science that is little known. Algebra and Optics are the most widely known Islamic contributions.

You're the one strawmanning this with your eagerness to start a harangue about Christianity, pal.

Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:25 am
Profile Email

BookTalk.org Moderator
Gold Contributor

ant wrote:
You're the one strawmanning this with your eagerness to start a harangue about Christianity, pal.

Like I said, go back and read. You misunderstood every post in this thread from me.

Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:40 am
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Likes the book better than the movie

No matter how far back you go, these scientific ideas were always known by someone.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/krulwich/2010/ ... dha-counts

https://books.google.com/books?id=UOtoB ... am&f=false

http://www.spacetoday.org/SolSys/Earth/ ... harts.html

The following user would like to thank DB Roy for this post:
ant
Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:16 pm
Profile Email
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3