Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:19 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
The Maragha Revolution (Astronomy) 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Gold Contributor

Post Re: The Maragha Revolution (Astronomy)
Link me to a post where I defended Creationism, please.

Thanks

Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:36 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Gold Contributor

I read the article by Ross Pomeroy.
He's not a scholar that I'm aware of. His profile states he's a zoologist. I'm uncertain about the accuracy of his historical claims in the article. So far I have read nothing about Haytham's specific contributions
Do you disagree with anything Pomeroy has said?

You said you've browsed some scholarly articles.
I assumed they authored by historical scholars of the history of science.
Share one with me, please.

Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:48 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

BookTalk.org Moderator
Gold Contributor

You defended creationism? I must have missed that one.

Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:58 pm

Gold Contributor

Interbane wrote:
You defended creationism? I must have missed that one.

Quote:
Creationism is inherently anti-science. There is no way around this. Creationism is a religious belief

Weren't you implying that I had when you said the above?
Or are you just yelling at your inlaws again here on BT?

I wasn't discussing creationism here, nor have I defended it, to my knowledge.

Are you walking around aimlessly on some college campus?

Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:06 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

BookTalk.org Moderator
Gold Contributor

ant wrote:
Weren't you implying that I had when you said the above?

No, I most certainly wasn't. As I said, you didn't understand me. Perhaps my post lacked clarity. I'd be happy to clarify.

ant wrote:
You said you've browsed some scholarly articles.
I assumed they authored by historical scholars of the history of science.
Share one with me, please.

:slap:

You know what, I was completely mistaken. I looked back at the articles I read, and the two I shared with you, and none of them are scholarly. I don't know what I was thinking. Apparently, no scholar wants to defend the position that Christianity gave birth to science. I guess it's just a stupid idea, right?

Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:10 pm

Gold Contributor

Interesting:

Here is one thing the realclear article claims about Haytham:

Quote:
In 1011, Ibn al-Haytham was placed under house arrest by a powerful caliph in Cairo

But the author gave no reasons for his house arrest.
And I don't think it was because his work was antithetical to the religion of Islam. Quite the contrary when Islam was known for their ongoing support of scientific discovery during their reign, particularly on optics and astronomy.

Anyway, here a brief mention of his alleged house arrest (from wiki)

Quote:
He arrived in Cairo under the reign of Fatimid Caliph al-Hakim, a patron of the sciences who was particularly interested in astronomy.[16] Ibn al-Haytham has proposed to the Caliph a hydraulic project to improve regulation of the flooding of the Nile, a task requiring an early attempt at building a dam at the present site of the Aswan Dam.[16] His field work convinced him of the technical impracticality of this scheme.[17] Al-Haytham continued to live in Cairo, in the neighborhood of the famous University of al-Azhar, until his death after 1040.[10] Legend has it that after deciding the scheme was impractical

It seems not related to a protest against his practicing "science" as we they knew it to be in their context.

Nothing is mentioned about his house arrest on the pdf link the article provided. In fact, admittedly, little is known about him.

That was interesting. Thanks

The following user would like to thank ant for this post:
Interbane
Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:20 pm
Profile Email

Gold Contributor

Quote:
You know what, I was completely mistaken. I looked back at the articles I read, and the two I shared with you, and none of them are scholarly. I don't know what I was thinking. Apparently, no scholar wants to defend the position that Christianity gave birth to science. I guess it's just a stupid idea, right?

It was stupid of you to say, yes.

I'm not certain why you keep harping on about Christianity in this post. :?
As I said, you must be projecting some personal anger here again.
That's fine.

What do you find disagreeable about the Maragha Revolution?
That it was achieved within a religious context?
That can't be changed. You know that, right?

Last edited by ant on Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:27 pm
Profile Email

Gold Contributor

You see, Interbane.
I actually read what you offer.

Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:28 pm
Profile Email

BookTalk.org Moderator
Gold Contributor

Interbane wrote:
I guess [the idea that Christianity gave birth to science was] just a stupid idea, right

ant wrote:
It was stupid..., yes.

ant wrote:
You see, Interbane.
I actually read what you offer.

You did! You're too clever by half ant. Good work sir, good work.

Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:42 pm

Gold Contributor

I don't mean to interrupt your scholarly reading, but are you going to show me where I've defended Creationism or not?

Last edited by ant on Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:48 pm
Profile Email

BookTalk.org Moderator
Gold Contributor

ant wrote:
I don't mean to interrupt your scholarly reading, but are you going to show me where I've defended Creationism or not?

When did you defend creationism?

Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:04 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

BookTalk.org Moderator
Platinum Contributor

ant wrote:
Examining history defeats oversimplified versions of it popularized by certain individuals, particularly those who create caricatures of religion as being based on blind faith and nothing more.
Reason and evidence were clearly in play during these contributions by Islam.

There was a long discussion a while back where Stahrwe brought up the idea that Christianity "gave birth to science", which is about as simplistic as you can get, by the way. And it was Interbane who mentioned the Islamic contribution that preceded Christianity. So I don't know who is alleged to be creating caricatures of religion here. I'm confused.

post127923.html?hilit=christianity%20gave%20birth#p127923

Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:00 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Just realized BookTalk.org is awesome!

Silver Contributor

Quote:
Ant:

Ant as fairly as I can recall has not defended creationism on this form, Ant has been however a pit bull towards anti-theist critics of believers in creationism.

Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:11 pm
Profile Email

BookTalk.org Moderator
Gold Contributor

Taylor wrote:
Ant as fairly as I can recall has not defended creationism on this form, Ant has been however a pit bull towards anti-theist critics of believers in creationism.

As far as I can tell he attacks scientism, but doesn't defend creationism. I'm not sure why he thinks I implied otherwise.

Islam has a more scientific bend to it than Christianity, but that is just my opinion.

Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:42 pm

Gold Contributor

Taylor wrote:
Quote:
Ant:

:lol: :lol:

:razz2:

Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:51 pm
Profile Email
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next