Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:10 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page 1, 2  Next
The last Indie film you've seen/or just your favorite... 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Finally Comfortable

Post The last Indie film you've seen/or just your favorite...
I am a sucker for indie films.

I just finished watching Everything is Illuminated. I would have to rank this film in my top 3. I was a little surprised with this film, it was not what I thought it was going to be. I have a few questions for anyone out there who has seen it :D

Some of my other favorites are Garden State and Amelie (if you can count that).

I'm interested in other peoples favorites...

Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:59 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Intern

I enjoyed Garden State as well. My faves are Little Miss Sunshine, The Straight Story and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:37 am
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
One more post ought to do it.

Gold Contributor

Constance - I promised to donate you a plus Karma point - so I have. I can't join in this conversation because I don't get much opportunity to see indie films. I have only just learned that indie music means independent, and not Indian.......but I love Audrey and I am glad you can associate with her .......

Having said that - my OH and I do borrow 'foreign' DVD's and videos and like to watch them - but we seem to concentrate on French Noir movies, although the last one we were most impressed with was Korean (I think) and called ' Eat Drink Man Woman'.

Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:51 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Finally Comfortable

That makes me so sad that you haven't enjoyed these films yet. They are really worth your time. I'm sorry I didn't explain indie ;)

Constance-
Wow. You mentioned two of my other favorites, "Little Miss Sunshine" and "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind". Both are just great films. "The Straight Story", who stars in that one?

Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:40 pm
Intern

Constance - I promised to donate you a plus Karma point - so I have.

Thanks! Right back at you! :D

Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:55 am
Intern

Constance-
Wow. You mentioned two of my other favorites, "Little Miss Sunshine" and "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind". Both are just great films. "The Straight Story", who stars in that one?

Great movies, aren't they? No matter how many times I watch Eternal Sunshine I am mesmerized every time.

The Straight Story stars Richard Farnsworth and Sissy Spacek. It is the true story of an elderly man who hasn't spoken to his brother for 20 years or so and finds out his brother is now dying. He cannot drive anymore and his daughter - Spacek - has some mental illness and can't drive either so he drives hundreds of miles on his lawnmower to see his brother.

Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:58 am
Finally Comfortable

Oh, they are wonderful films. I was a little flustered at first with Eternal Sunshine just because there is so much going on, but it's soo worth it.

That movie sounds just wonderful. I'm going to have to go find it this weekend.

I love indie films, they are crazy and out there, just like me :roll:

Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:13 am
Intern

It's a really well-done film and even better because it is based on a true story. The movie is basically about his journey and the people he meets along the way. And I just love Richard Farnsworth - such a great actor and such a loss now that he is gone.

Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:17 am
One more post ought to do it.

Gold Contributor

Now you mention the lawn mower journey, Constance, I remember my son enthusing about this film and telling his Dad and me we ought to see it. I think I will look it out now.

I definitely would like to see 'Little Miss Sunshine' as it has been cropping up a lot in the media lately.

I think my favourite film of all time is the Woody Allen film 'The Sleeper'.

Shallow - that's how to describe me. :oops:

Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:34 am
Intern

I would recommend it. I really enjoyed it, although it is a slow moving film (no pun intended since he is on a lawnmower :lol: ) so if you enjoy tons of action, it may not be for you.

I really love Little Miss Sunshine. I've probably watched it 20 times since I got it on DVD for my birthday.

Another indie that I am on the fence about is Being John Malkovitch. I really loved the premise and the fact that when people got done in John Malkovitch's head, they were dumped at the side of the Jersey turnpike just cracked me up. But the movie itself was really weird and the puppets kind of freaked me out :shock:

Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:29 am
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Professor

Silver Contributor

Another indie that I am on the fence about is Being John Malkovitch. I really loved the premise and the fact that when people got done in John Malkovitch's head, they were dumped at the side of the Jersey turnpike just cracked me up. But the movie itself was really weird and the puppets kind of freaked me out :shock:

I liked "Little Miss Sunshine". Problem with me is, without delving, I cannot tell what is an INDIE nowadays.

Some indies (I think they are anyway) I like:

Big Lebowski

One Hour Photo (Robin Williams was just scary in that pic)

Swingers

Auto Focus (Bob Crane biopic)

Mr. P.

Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:08 am
Pop up Book Fanatic

Hi Audrey, I added Everything is Illuminated to my list of favorite films after seeing it too. I read the book first, and thought they did a great job of adapting it.

I've enjoyed most of what's been mentioned here, and also had mixed feelings about Being John Malkovitch. I don't mind dark, weird characters, but I do like to be able to empathize with them on some level.

Some other independents I've liked are:

The Lives of Others (slow moving, but very worthwhile)
Ghost World
Rushworth
Happiness
101 Reykjavik

Helen

Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:54 pm

I saw Romance and Cigarettes last nite; had never heard of it before but liked it a lot. I love when James Gandolfini or Susan Sarandon break into song for no particular reason. This is a truly independent film, written and directed by John Turturro, filmed in his native New York City and starring every friend he could get into it (including his sister, Aida Turturro, Elaine Stritch, Mary Louise Parker, Christopher Walken . . . and lots more I can't really remember right now. A fun movie.

I also liked Garden State, Little Miss Sunshine, Station Agent (remember that one), and especially the one with Richard Farnsworth going cross country on his tractor - a lovely movie.

101 Reykjavik - that sounds interesting, I'll watch for it. Same with Everthing is Illuminated. Thanks for the ideas.

Ralph

Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:46 am
Pop up Book Fanatic

I find it rather difficult for me to tell if some of the movies I've watched are indie or not. I read all the posts here and found that I've watched some. They are

Everything Is Illuminated
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Amelie
Garden State
One Hour Photo

The first two are my favourites, especially the second; Eternal ~. It's so vivid and imaginative.

Does "Shop Girl" count? It's one of my favs as well.

My number one is "The Royal Tenenbaums." I think it's indie but am also a bit uncertain because of all the actors starring in. I just love the story and how it's narrated. Oh, I just love everything in this movie. I also watched "The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou" and like it too. Wes Anderson really has his own style.

Miranda July's "Me and You and Everyone We Know" has long been on my list. has anyone seen it yet?

Are "In the Bedroom" and "The Door in the Floor indie?

Sorry for asking too many questions. I really like it here. :smile:

Mon May 05, 2008 1:34 am
Oddly Attracted to Books

Gold Contributor

As I read Wid-Sha-Ya's post it dawned on me that a significant gap in my culture was being exposed.

I had assumed that "indie films" meant Indiana Jones and that BT members were great fans of Indiana Jones so I had never bothered to read the thread! :oops:

"An independent film, or indie film, is a film that is produced outside of the studio system." Wiki.

This means the overwhelming majority of all the films I've ever seen!

Mon May 05, 2008 1:51 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page 1, 2  Next