• In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

The Intro

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Kryptik

The Intro

Unread post

Hello everyoneMy name is Justin. A dear friend of mine Andrea - Tomiichi just turned me on to this site. I wasn't really looking for any new information or ideas, but after looking threw these forums, I have become very interested. Just recently I started to consider myself an Atheist.I was raised in a very strict christian household. About two years ago, an event happened between my parents that made me question the life I had been brought up in. I have found myself with more unanswered questions and oxymorons than ever and have since denounced my beliefs. I still feel that there is something out there and have started to look into "new-age" for answers, but will stay a freethinker. I appreciate this site and hope to find a home here.Thanks,J
tomiichi

Re: The Intro

Unread post

Awe... I'm so glad you signed up. Welcome! I will enjoy have discussions with you.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

JustinWelcome to BookTalk. I'd love to hear more about this event that impacted you so intensely as to lead to this change in your beliefs. Are you sure you've changed or is it that you're mad or angry at a God you still believe in??If you're looking into these alternative areas you might want to think about what is leading you down that path. There is no more evidence for the majority of these mystical beliefs than for Christianity or any faith.
Kryptik

Unread post

Two years ago,As mentioned, I grew up under a christian household. I'm respectful and grateful for my upbringing because it taught me many good lessons and helped shaped the man I am today. My mother has always been very involved with our different churches over the years and in the last church, she became a member of the band because of her talents with the piano. In that time, she met and fell in love with a member of the band. She cheated on my father with him and the church and its members knew. During the time when my mother brought everything forward and proceeded with a divorce from my father, she was asked to leave the church. I felt that, that was a just request. In January, the divorce was final. Three weeks later, the church and pastor that had asked her to leave, offered to marry them as she had requested. I was very sad that the church would turn a blind eye and not only accept them, but then marry them. Now, yes I was very upset with my mother and the church, but that was not the main reason for my change in heart. I have always been a sceptik of christianity. I had so many questions that were unanswerable and required "faith" to accept. I can believe in that which I don't see, but if I can't question it or make any sense of it..then there is no reason to believe.I have lived on my own now for six years. In the last two, I have removed the blind fold and started to take a new look at the world. I don't like the idea of once being a frog that evolved, but it could of happened. Humans are an incredible race which is a thousand times ahead of any other species. I'm so caught up in confussion and ideas that I'm too the point of just saying that I exist and nothing more. Maybe I'll learn more or finally come to the truth, but for now, I don't believe that a God and a Devil are my puppetmasters. Edited by: Kryptik at: 10/5/06 2:15 am
tomiichi

Unread post

I don't think I actually knew this whole story. I also think this began more than 2 years ago if my time table is correct. Quote:I don't like the idea of once being a frog that evolved, but it could of happened.Do you not believe in evolution, or do you just not like the idea of it? It's possible to admit that something is real without liking the idea of it, so I am just wondering where you were coming from on this.
Kryptik

Unread post

Now that I think of it, it is getting closer to three years. I would agree that evolution is real, but I don't like the idea of it.
Frank 013
Worthy of Worship

Unread post

Welcome Many of the atheists here had a struggle removing the shackles of theism, I am glad you were able to do so. As Chris has stated in several threads, it takes a strong intellect to break through the lies and brainwashing that the church uses to keep its people in the dark.Now that you are free, use your powers for good.Later
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

I know what you mean about not liking the whole concept of evolution. Even worse than biological evolution, for me, is the belief in abiogenesis. If you don't know, abiogenesis is the generation of life from non-living matter. I'd LOVE to believe a loving God exists that, at the very least, created the original spark of life, and then allowed this spark to evolve into the full tree of life we see today. You can disregard just about all the world religions and still believe that some sort of deity exists that created the very beginnings of life on Earth. But I just cannot believe any of it. It actually hurts a little to have to face the reality that "God" doesn't make sense and that it appears to be an unnecessary hypothesis. Damn I want to believe though, so facing this reality is painful for me.Sure, there is beauty in science and I have a sort of awe for the cosmos, but nothing will ever compare to the enticement of eternal life in heaven with my loved ones. Still I refuse to trick myself into believing in something just because that belief alleviates pain.Lately, in my personal life, I have become abundantly aware of my own mortality. I know that every day I am one day closer to death. And I'm aware that a few decades after I'm dead few people will ever even remember me or give a damn about my life. Ouch, this hurts. I guess BookTalk exists for a variety of reasons, but perhaps one of those reasons is to leave behind a little part of me. How else can any of us live beyond the grave? We all have our loved ones, but once those bonds are broken by death what will keep our memories alive? I'm rambling because I should be in bed and I'm tired as hell. Sorry about this post. But I know what you mean by not liking the concept of evolving. The only reason why you and I and about 6 billion other people feel weird about the theory of evolution is because it does indeed challenge everything we were taught about the origins of the universe and our species. It renders all that mythology as complete and utter fabrication. And this is scary. Learning that a loving father-figure isn't floating up there in the sky, and that we're really here due to countless complex chemical interactions and genetic mutations, mixed in with a healthy dose of natural selection and indifferent environmental factors freaks us out.It takes a strong person to be able to set aside the dogma of their religious upbringing and start questioning the silliness of it all. I've been attacked on BookTalk by a theist, a few years back, for calling this personal attribute "strength." But is is strength. Not in the Rambo-style of the word, but in that it takes so much courage to face the harsh realities of a Godless universe.
Kryptik

Unread post

Talk about hitting the nail on the head. I still find myself, wishing that I had Jesus to pray to when I'm hurt. It provided a lot of comfort to me. I do believe it is rather silly, but I am still sad to see it go.With that said, I do believe one of the main purposes of religion is to shield ourselves from our inevitable death. In another form, it is also very freeing and liberating to have denounced my beliefs. I'm no longer "Scared" of reprocussions for living my life the way I want to. This doesn't mean I feel free to run out and kill someone or steal, but I don't feel bad for things like having sex before marriage. Sadly, that in its self has ruined previous relationships rather than making them stronger.I'm still in the hunt for clarification and plan to start reading some of the books mentioned on this site as soon as I have a bit of time.Thanks again,Justin
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

JustinI think your life will be enhanced by our book selections. Not all of them, but most of them. We focus on quality books that expand our perspective on life and our place in the cosmos. Even if you don't post much I do hope you get copies of the books and read them for your own intellectual development. You sound like someone that will add a great deal to our community and I hope we can reciprocate and give you back something in return.

Return to “Everything Else”