• In total there are 57 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 56 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

The Ice Princess

Authors are invited and encouraged to present their FICTION books solely within this forum.
bookwormservice
Permanent Ink Finger

The Ice Princess

Unread post

I've just read this article on the Ice Princess by Camilla Lackberg. It is sure to be the next big Scandinavian fiction hit. The other Being Larsson's series. However, Lackberg's series is longer & sounds more captivating. Has any read the first book "the Ice Princess?"

I've put a link to the NY Times article below

nytimes.com/2010/06/16/books/16noir.htm ... nted=print
Theomanic

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

Re: The Ice Princess

Unread post

I've not heard of this author, but I guess that makes sense if she's not yet available in North America. I read the first book by Stieg Larsson and I don't know that I understand exactly what all the fuss is about. However, I'm not a huge fan of a lot of popular writers so maybe it's just me. I've also read Henning Mankell, "the other popular Swedish writer" and I found similarities in style in their books. But they both have this quietness to the background of the stories. Maybe this similarity I am seeing is partially because both were primarily set in remote Swedish locations. (The book I've read by Mankell is "Faceless Killers").

I'll definitely keep an eye out for "The Ice Princess", though I always have to wait forever because I prefer to read soft covers. :( Thanks for pointing it out!
"Beware those who are always reading books" - The Genius of the Crowd, by Charles Bukowski
bookwormservice
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

I agree Theomanic, I can't really get into most of the popular books/authors. I was curious as how the Ice Princess compares to Larsson's Millenium Trilogy
Theomanic

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

Unread post

I recently (last year) picked up a random Ken Follett book ("Whiteout"?) and I was appalled. Maybe it was my mood, I don't know. I've read some of his books before and I liked them, notably "The Modigiliani Scandal" and "The Eye of the Needle". I put "Whiteout" down after about 40 pages and ended up returning it, which I've never done with a book before. NEVER.

Let it not be said I am claiming some literary high horse! I read a LOT of "bad" books - I have an especial weakness for teen urban fantasy. So I'm not some snobbish critic! But I guess what I like and what is popular are not so similar. :)

Have you read any of the other Swedish mystery writers, BWS?
"Beware those who are always reading books" - The Genius of the Crowd, by Charles Bukowski
bookwormservice
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

honestly, the closest thing to reading Swedish literature I have come is an Ikea catalog. :shock:

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book!”