• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

The Hobbit; chapters, 1-3

#113: Nov. - Jan. 2013 (Fiction)
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Re: The Hobbit; chapters, 1-3

Unread post

I would characterize Bilbo as timid at first, but growing in confidence through the novel. He does retain some of his timidity (or is it merely caution?) throughout the book. That is part of his charm.
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein
Olivia22
Freshman

Unread post

I have no doubt that Bilbo will grow and evolve a bit as a character. Lol. I'm just used to Bilbo in LOTR. This is my first time meeting the Bilbo of The Hobbit.
tbarron

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Wearing Out Library Card

Unread post

Are you thinking of Frodo, Olivia? I don't think Bilbo is a major character in LOTR, is he?
Tom
Olivia22
Freshman

Unread post

No he's not. He's talked about a lot and he pops up every now and then. They just make him seem more heroic in LOTR... then again we're also, I feel, seeing Bilbo through Frodo's eyes in LOTR. So it could be a biased view point.
giselle

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
Almost Awesome

Unread post

Olivia22 wrote:I have no doubt that Bilbo will grow and evolve a bit as a character. Lol. I'm just used to Bilbo in LOTR. This is my first time meeting the Bilbo of The Hobbit.
I think Bilbo and his adventures becomes 'a story' in LOTR, a legendary character that Frodo and the other Hobbits admire, so perhaps The Hobbit can be seen as the making of a legend?
tbarron

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Wearing Out Library Card

Unread post

Yes, I think you're both right, Olivia and Giselle.
Tom
ZachSylvanus
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

Unread post

I saw recently that Tolkien based the part of the story looking for the Last Homely House in Rivendell upon a book he had read about Iceland. That would certainly explain why the landscape he describes in that portion of the story is so bleak and rugged!

Seeing the fact that the Bilbo of The Hobbit is the legendary figure that we see in LOTR reminds me: The Hobbit is written as Bilbo's reminiscings after his travel, so perhaps the lighter style and more florid prose of the later (post-chapter 1) book reflect Bilbo telling a story to his fellow hobbits, with the introductory chapter trying to keep the same feel by interrupting and talking about all the things that we as Big Folk living in modern times may not be familiar with.
The Earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that, in glory and triumph, they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot. -- Carl Sagan, Pale Blue Dot
John Ashtone
Official Newbie!

Unread post

Something always to keep in mind about Tolkien is that his job was Professor of Anglo Saxon, hence the magical powers attributed to Swords and giving them names, the Eponymous Beowulf in the Anglo Saxon poem is given a sword called Hrothgar as a gift from the King's Jester, and Blacksmithing was looked on as being part Trade part Magic by Anglo saxons & Vikings alike.

So Bilbo acquiring his own sword, albeit somwhat small it is appropriate to be named.

Cattleman should note that Tolkein's hook is certainly that and one of the best opening lines in literature, certainly better rememebered than the opening of 'Wind in the Willows' to which Tolkein is paying homage.

Paying homage sounds so much better than 'that opening line wot he nicked from Kenneth Grahame and changed a bit' lol.
If you have been affected by any of the issues raised in this discussion, then you must have a very vivid imagination.
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

Hello John and welcome to the discussion.

Return to “The Hobbit - by J. R. R. Tolkien”