• In total there is 1 user online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

The Harvard Classics

Authors are invited and encouraged to showcase their NON-FICTION books exclusively within this forum.
pctacitus

The Harvard Classics

Unread post

The volumes of the Harvard Classics are numbered 1-50, and a volume of Lectures that is unnumbered. I will refer to the Lectures as Lectures rather than ascribing it a volume number. These are copyrighted from 1908-14. I have inherited these from my grandmother whose father purchased these after he graduated from college, before his first child was born. I read the appropriate parts of vol. 50: Introduction, Reader's Guide, Indexes. I read the Introduction and Reader's Guide, and I am reading the Lectures. Has anyone read or are they reading this or a comparable series?
pctacitus

The Harvard Classics update

Unread post

Proceeding through the Lectures, I must wonder what volume to read next. With 49 options that include religion, philosophy, literature, poetry, science and history among others. Anyone out there familiar enough with these to give a recommendation? If so, what is it? What volume (specify by # or contents) ?
pctacitus

The Harvard Classics update II

Unread post

I didn't know if any of you had the Harvard Classics, so I found a place that does have it online. Here's the url:bartleby.com/hc/Please remember that I don't have the shelf of fiction.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: The Harvard Classics update II

Unread post

My father owns the Harvard Classics and I love them! I borrow one here and there as the desire hits me. I've read "Uncle Tom's Cabin" and most of "Origin of Species" in the Harvard Classics.Chris "When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward,for there you have been, and there you will always want to be."
pctacitus

Re: Re: Harvard Classics update II

Unread post

I had to verify this before posting, "Origin of the Species" is part of the Harvard Classics, however, "Uncle Tom's Cabin" is not.
pctacitus

Harvard Classics update III

Unread post

I've been slowly working my way through the Lectures. Each lecture is like atending a class, and since I get enough of that during the scool year, I have'nt made alot of progress. It is interesting to read Lectures from almost one hundred years ago and have them seem as if they were incredibly contemporary.
BookMerchants

HARVARD CLASSICS

Unread post

Hello Friends,We sell antiquarian books and specialize in the Harvard Classics. We have many sets, and individual volumes, available. Please let us know if you would like to receive more information, or if you know the set that you like.We also have pictures available for all sets/volumes. Just send us an email at [email protected]. Or if you prefer we can be reached at 410 340 1946.Regards,LeoBookMerchantsWe also purchase complete and partial sets of the Harvard Classics. Just send us an email or give us a call.
pctacitus

Harvard Classics update IIII

Unread post

Sorry I haven't posted here in a while. In the interim, I have read Marcus Aurelius' Meditations which is in the Harvard Classics. ...[T]o ignore the classics is ultimately to weaken the very foundations of our society. - James Atlas, Book Wars: What it Takes to be Educated in America

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!”