• In total there are 4 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 4 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

"The Glass Bead Game", A General Introduction to it's History for the Layman

#97: June - July 2011 (Fiction)
Murrill
Gaining experience

Re: "The Glass Bead Game", A General Introduction to it's History for the Layman

Unread post

hesse wrote:
Murrill wrote:
hesse wrote:Just as a footnote to the introduction, and to help you understand the world Hesse had recently experienced, it is necessary to understand the reference to Pope Pius XV is actually aimed at Pope Pius XII, please do a search....
Thanks for the clue. I did a search, and I can understand why the author might have taken aim at Pope Pius XII: He refused to publically condemn Germany for atrocities against the Jews, and he deferred to the teaching authority of the Church. It seems he believe the soul, or essence, came first and was followed by being. I've read only the Introduction, but from what I've read in other posts I suspect these themes will feature prominently as the story unfolds.
Think of Pius's character, and then read that he was an avid GBG player at one point....this should dispel any notion that this game is some divinely driven mechanism....

The first question to be asked is "What is Castalia and who put them in charge"....
There seem to be dichotomous reports of Pius' treatment of the Jews and others involved in WWII. It seems that he changed from when he was a cardinal---when he was an avid GBG player, perhaps?---until he was the pope & outlawed the game. I did not think of the GBG as divinely inspired. Rather it seemed more abstract....sort of a "think tank," if you will. Isn't one of the characteristics of the game that its essence, the point of departure, is timeless, unchanging, though it may be enhanced & developed with time as other influences become involved?
As for Castalia: I don't think I am "there" yet, but I appreciate the cue.
hesse
Float like a butterfly, post like a bee!

Re: "The Glass Bead Game", A General Introduction to it's History for the Layman

Unread post

The reference to Pius went right by me the first time I read this book...upon rereading it (many times now) it dawned on me that perhaps Hesse was ever so slightly nudging the reader to "read between the lines"....
I can think, I can wait, I can fast........
Aqueda_Veronica
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

I picked out the book from my local library with a hint of hesitation. I don't know that much about German literature and figured that TGBG would be a challenging read. Usually I don't even read introductions, but now all I can say is "Oh wow!". Pleasant surprise :)
If the novel itself will be as fascinating, I am in for a compelling read.

I absolutely LOVED the paragraphs about classical music and music appreciation. Back in college my roommate's major was musicology, so I think I understand the points stated by the narrator.

I was shocked to notice TGBG was written in 1930s/40s cause all the critique of the Feuilleton era sure sounded pretty up to date to me. Do we really need to look any further than reality tv, tabloids, university education depreciation and so on?

Oh, and I don't care what Hesse says, I do love my crossword puzzles ;)
"From childhood's hour I have not been as others were
I have not seen as others saw
I could not bring my passions from a common spring
From the same source I have not taken my sorrow
I could not awake my heart to joy at the same tone
And all I loved - I loved alone"

E.A.Poe
hesse

Unread post

Oh, and I don't care what Hesse says, I do love my crossword puzzles
Blasphemy! :lol:

Welcome Veronica.....
hesse

Unread post

Following a hunch I looked into the latest iteration of the novel and I see they have failed to reprint the Foreword from Theodore Ziolkowski that is contained in my 1970 copy....it is must reading....

http://www.arvindguptatoys.com/arvindgu ... seludi.rtf
Murrill
Gaining experience

Unread post

Aqueda_Veronica wrote: I was shocked to notice TGBG was written in 1930s/40s cause all the critique of the Feuilleton era sure sounded pretty up to date to me. Do we really need to look any further than reality tv, tabloids, university education depreciation and so on?

Oh, and I don't care what Hesse says, I do love my crossword puzzles ;)
Veronica,
Welcome to the conversation. I am fairly new to this group, and this is my first book discussion. I agree that GBG is pretty intimidating at first glance, and I've made it only a little past the introduction. I keep finding references that I missed at first, things that I suspect will be important. It seems that the novel can be enjoyed on several levels, and I want to drink in all of them.
I, too, was struck by how current were the themes of the Feuilleton era. I was thinking how amused Hesse would be at our culture. Quite prophetic of him, wasn't it?
hesse wrote:The reference to Pius went right by me the first time I read this book...upon rereading it (many times now) it dawned on me that perhaps Hesse was ever so slightly nudging the reader to "read between the lines"....
I missed it too. I think I need to read the Intro again as I might be more alert to some of the symbolism and veiled references. I wonder why Hesse called the pope Pius XV when it was Pius XII who was the object? There was no Pius XV, was there? I wonder if there is any significance to his choice of numerals.
hesse wrote:Following a hunch I looked into the latest iteration of the novel and I see they have failed to reprint the Foreword from Theodore Ziolkowski that is contained in my 1970 copy....it is must reading....

http://www.arvindguptatoys.com/arvindgu ... seludi.rtf
I agree with Hesse (the forum member): This is in my 1990 edition that I purchased on Amazon. Lots of good insight and historical perspective.
hesse

Unread post

I missed it too. I think I need to read the Intro again as I might be more alert to some of the symbolism and veiled references. I wonder why Hesse called the pope Pius XV when it was Pius XII who was the object? There was no Pius XV, was there? I wonder if there is any significance to his choice of numerals.
This is an excellent question....and one I can only speculate on....

Pius was Pope when the book was released. I have a suspicion that Hesse was not looking to pick a fight with the Vatican at the time, but still wanted to make a point about the Church's apathy toward the Jewish plight of WWII....

Another curiosity, Hesse has been said to have been thinking that this book was taking place at some future date (24th century), however, references he makes to people and dates throughout the book always tie back to a book written in the then present day (1930's-1940's).......
lindad_amato
Intelligent

Unread post

Is anyone reading the 1989 version with the Foreword by Theodore Ziolkowski? He states that Hesse envisioned the narrator as "writing around the beginning of the 25th century." The thesis of this Foreword is that Hesse meant to be ironic and that modern readers should enjoy this and find the humor in the story.
Murrill
Gaining experience

Unread post

My edition has Ziolkowski's Foreward, which I found to be enlightening. The reference to Pius, though, is in the narrator's historical report of the development of the GBG. I think the narrator's tone is pseudo-patronizing--for effect--and it is successful.
@Hesse: I suspect you are correct that the author did not want to make an overt criticism of the Catholic Church, and I think he is too clever to make too literal a parody.
lindad_amato
Intelligent

Unread post

I found the discussion of the Feuilleton Age quite amusing. Why do Justin Bieber's pontifications on American politics come to mind when I read, "In some periods interviews with well-known personalities on current problems were particularly popular." It seems we are currently in another Feuilleton Age; or we never left it.

Return to “The Glass Bead Game: A Novel - by Hermann Hesse”