• In total there is 1 user online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

The Da Vinci Code

Authors are invited and encouraged to present their FICTION books solely within this forum.
AirPrang

Re: The Da Vinci Code

Unread post

I'm another who found The Da Vinci Code a bit on the fluffy side. Sure, it's a page turner but there's no gravitas and nothing that transcends the thriller genre along the lines that I'd been promised in all the hype and by the praise of other readers. It was entertaining, some of the puzzles were quite cute (and sent me on interesting reading tangents), but I'm glad I borrowed rather than bought the book.I've been describing it as Umberto Eco (minus the wit and digs at conspiracy theories) translated by Matthew Reilly (minus the machine guns and exploding helicopters). If anything, it's convinced me to read more of Arturo Perez-Reverte.I'm still planning to read Angels and Demons though. You know the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that need altering. The Doctor, The Face of Evil.
Constance963
Intern

Unread post

I know this is an old thread but I wanted to revive it because for anyone who liked the Da Vinci Code, I recommend James Rollins's Map of Bones. It is in the same type of genre as Da Vinci Code but I thought the story was much better, though I did enjoy the Da Vinci Code. I preferred Angels and Demons however, probably because I have been to Rome. :D
My wedding day! 08-08-08
uod_sa_libro
Experienced

Unread post

I found the Da Vinci Code entertaining, but no, my faith was not threatened by it. :D

I read it in high school and it's a fun book, and the riddles were fun to solve and play around with. :ninjajig:
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Da Vinci

Unread post

A librarian told me that "Angels and Demons" was only one month away from going out of print, and then "Da Vinci" hit, and hit hard and saved "Angels and Demons" from the bargain bin.

I have read both books, I found there were some common passages.

I lilked "Da Vinci" until the last 100 pages or so. I really felt he could have gone farther, it felt like he didn't know what to do with the end, like he was holding back. Truly, I was expecting DNA evidence of some kind but that may have been going to far.

I worked with a former Catholic nun at the time, she enjoyed it as fiction, a very open minded nun she was. But, she told me, that because God can not have intercourse with a woman, God created Jesus from himself. Therefore, Jesus is God. The notion that people are walking around, with God genes inside them, well, that created the uproar.

This idea was new to me, as a child I was taught that Jesus was a human man. As a human man it would make sense that he would have been married, and marriage leads to children. During the time of Jesus, an un married man would have been considered an oddity.

But, it is fiction, it certainly got people talking and wondering, so in that respect, it was good.
Frank 013
Worthy of Worship

Unread post

Suzanne
This idea was new to me, as a child I was taught that Jesus was a human man.
It’s too bad that you were not taught the truth… that there is no evidence that Jesus ever existed, no evidence at all.

From the many writings and written histories from that area and time… and considering the history of the bible and early Christianity Jesus is most likely a fictional character, mistaken as historical and reaching mythic status… his absence from every historical source speaks volumes about his identity.

Later
That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
Australia

Unread post

I've been interested in the theme of The Da Vinci Code since reading Holy Blood Holy Grail when it came out in the 1980s. It makes the interesting point that in Latin, Holy Grail or San Greal just needs to move one letter to make Holy Blood or Sang Real. Hence the real holy grail is the bloodline of Jesus. Laurence Gardner picks this up in his rather fanciful books Bloodline of the Holy Grail - The Hidden Lineage of Jesus Revealed and The Magdalene Legacy - The Jesus and Mary Bloodline Conspiracy.

Most stories about Jesus Christ are fables, but I have always found the refugee trip to Marseilles by Mary Magdalene and the infant born of her marriage with Jesus to be among the most beautiful images, with its suggestion that the Merovingian Kings of France were descendents of Jesus Christ, a theme picked up in the movie The Matrix.

It may be all untrue, but a beautiful story none the less.

I like Dan Brown, as he draws big mythological pictures of history which suggest that orthodox history is concealing many secrets. How far the secrets he describes are true is another matter, but it is an interesting part of the puzzle of what Jesus might have really been like if he actually lived.
uod_sa_libro
Experienced

Unread post

Frank 013 wrote:
It’s too bad that you were not taught the truth… that there is no evidence that Jesus ever existed, no evidence at all.

From the many writings and written histories from that area and time… and considering the history of the bible and early Christianity Jesus is most likely a fictional character, mistaken as historical and reaching mythic status… his absence from every historical source speaks volumes about his identity.

Later
You're right, sort of. There have been new findings - it was on a Discovery Channel (I think) show our teacher showed us in Religious Studies that perhaps Jesus was taken from this real person named Saint Isa. St. Isa traveled a lot and the word Isa meant messiah. :hmm:

So maybe that's the real Jesus, or something. :bananadance:
Frank 013
Worthy of Worship

Unread post

Uod sa libro
You're right, sort of. There have been new findings - it was on a Discovery Channel (I think) show our teacher showed us in Religious Studies that perhaps Jesus was taken from this real person named Saint Isa. St. Isa traveled a lot and the word Isa meant messiah.
There were literally hundreds of people traveling around back then claiming to be messiahs, but there is no record of any of them doing anything like what Jesus was said to have done.

In addition the story of Jesus was a story of a spiritual being in the beginning, not a flesh and blood person… the tales of a living Jesus came much later according to the historical record.

There may have been a guy named Jesus who did some stuff that got him crucified by the Romans and it is possible that some of the story is based off of that happening… but if there was such a person he was completely passed over by history and could not have been or accomplished anything very noteworthy.

And all of that is simply wild speculation without some confirming evidence.

Later
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
Australia

Unread post

Frank 013 wrote:There were literally hundreds of people traveling around back then claiming to be messiahs, but there is no record of any of them doing anything like what Jesus was said to have done.

In addition the story of Jesus was a story of a spiritual being in the beginning, not a flesh and blood person… the tales of a living Jesus came much later according to the historical record.

There may have been a guy named Jesus who did some stuff that got him crucified by the Romans and it is possible that some of the story is based off of that happening… but if there was such a person he was completely passed over by history and could not have been or accomplished anything very noteworthy.

And all of that is simply wild speculation without some confirming evidence.

Later
The Jesus who was crucified may also have been a spiritual teacher who made some of the claims recorded in the Bible. If so, this is noteworthy, and suggests the passing over you describe by history was not 'complete'.
Frank 013
Worthy of Worship

Unread post

RT
The Jesus who was crucified may also have been a spiritual teacher who made some of the claims recorded in the Bible. If so, this is noteworthy, and suggests the passing over you describe by history was not 'complete'.
Assuming that there was a crucified Jesus that some of the story was borrowed from (and that is a big assumption) Jesus may have been a fraud, thief, child molester, rapist or a murder as well; all are just as likely considering the amount of evidence we have to date.

Maybe the passing over was not complete but misguided, creating a hero from a disgusting, wicked human being? There is no way to know and speculation is just that, it means and proves nothing.

Later

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book!”