Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:08 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page 1, 2  Next
The Count of Monte Cristo 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Pop up Book Fanatic

Post The Count of Monte Cristo
I am really interested in reading this book. I have heard that it's on of the great classics and it was free on Kindle. I am in love with the movie, but the book seems to have a bit of slow start. I was hoping someone would read it with me to keep me motivated.

The following user would like to thank Tiffani A for this post:
Suzanne
Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:11 pm
Profile Email YIM
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Pop up Book Fanatic

Post Re: The Count of Monte Cristo
I read this book this summer and would love to read it with you if you want. It does start off slow but it gets better! Do you have the full version or an abridged (sp?) one?

Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:40 am
Profile Email
Pop up Book Fanatic

It looks like I have the full version

Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:22 pm
Profile Email YIM
Pop up Book Fanatic

Ok, well like I said I will be more then happy to read along if you want :)

Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:34 pm
Profile Email
Pop up Book Fanatic

Excellent! I'm not sure how this works... :D

Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:08 pm
Profile Email YIM
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Book General

Silver Contributor

I'll read along with you too!

Thanks for the suggestion Tiffani, and welcome to BookTalk! :)

Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:37 pm
Pop up Book Fanatic

Great how does it work with us reading together?

Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:51 am
Profile Email YIM
Pop up Book Fanatic

I guess we could set a goal to get to a certain page by x date and read and discuss.

Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:37 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Book General

Silver Contributor

Why don't we start with the first five chapters. If this discussion really takes off we could create a forum for the novel and create threads for it, maybe every five chapters or so. This may attract other members to join in. It's a looong read, so a forum may be needed to keep it organized. In the mean time, we can post our thoughts and comments regarding the first five chapters here, in this thread. How does that sound?

I started reading last night, I found this to be interesting in the introduction:

Quote:
Alexandre Dumas died penniless but cheerful on December 5, 1870, saying of death: "I shall tell her a story, and she will be kind to me." One hundred years later his biographer Andre Maurois paid him this tribute: "Dumas was a hero out of Dumas. As stong as Porthos, as adroit as d'Artagnan, as generous as Edmond Dantes, this superb giant strode across the nineteenth century breaking down doors with his shoulder, sweeping women away in his arms, and earning fortunes only to squander them promptly in dissipation. For forty years he filled the newspapers with his prose, the stage with his dramas, the world with his clamor. Never did he know a moment of doubt or an instant of despair. He turned his own existence into the finest of his novels."

1996 Modern Library Edition

I'm really looking forward to this. :)

Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:45 am

I'm new here but I would love to read this with you guys :)

Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:47 am
Book General

Silver Contributor

Welcome nunee1
:)

Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:52 am
Book General

Silver Contributor

THE COUNT OF MONTE CRISTO
Alexandre Dumas

Chapters 1-5

From the Publisher
Quote:
Set against the turbulent years of the Napoleonic era, Alexandre Dumas's thrilling adventure story is one of the most widely read romantic novels of all time. In it the dashing young hero, Edmond Dantès, is betrayed by his enemies and thrown into a secret dungeon in the Chateau d'If -- doomed to spend his life in a dank prison cell. The story of his long, intolerable years in captivity, his miraculous escape, and his carefully wrought revenge creates a dramatic tale of mystery and intrigue and paints a vision of France -- a dazzling, dueling, exuberant France -- that has become immortal.

http://www.amazon.com/Count-Monte-Crist ... 55&s=books

Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:05 pm
Pop up Book Fanatic

Great! We just started we are reading the first 5 chapters...

Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:17 pm
Profile Email YIM
Book General

Silver Contributor

The first five chapters went by pretty fast for me. What I have found to love about Dumas’ writing style is the way he describes his characters. Or, I should say the way he doesn’t. The characteristics of the characters are described through dialogue, which for me is the fastest way to get to know the people in a novel. A few lines of dialogue are more effective than words and words of descriptive prose.

I have taken an immediate liking to Edmond. He is naïve and innocent, he is a good man and he blindly expects goodness in others. This attitude may be seen as stupidity, but for me it shows the happiness of youth.

The novel does slow a bit after the first few chapters. Historical figures and events are mentioned, many of these events are new to me, so I did have to do a bit of research on certain events such as, the hundred days and the restoration. I also read a bit about Napoleon and Louis XVIII and this research was very worthwile. Since this novel was published soon after these events, Dumas may have felt it unnecessary to describe these events and figures, where in modern historical fiction these figures and events would be described in detail. This does leave it up to the reader to learn more about the time period which is beneficial to the reader. I like a good healthy dose of history while reading a good novel.

Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:45 pm
Pop up Book Fanatic

Hi Guys! We haven't done a very good job at keeping up with each other with the book. Did everyone read the first 5 chapters? Maybe we can discuss today and then start the next 5 tomorrow?

Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:50 am
Profile Email YIM
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page 1, 2  Next