Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:38 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 1, 5.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 5.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 5.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 5.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 5.00 on the average. 
The A.S.P. Alphabet Soup Puzzle 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

Diamond Contributor

Post The A.S.P. Alphabet Soup Puzzle
I have attached the ASP as a pdf file. I made one mistake in the file. The first letter should be lower case. There are only 3 capital letters. The collection instructions are within the puzzle. The prize is$100,000 after taxes.

Attachments:
asp.pdf [76.48 KiB]
Downloaded 71 times

where n are natural numbers.
Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:24 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

BookTalk.org Moderator
Gold Contributor

Post Re: The A.S.P. Alphabet Soup Puzzle
It doesn't seem to be a straight modular cipher. If you check the frequency counts, each letter pops up within 5% of every other letter, between 1900 and 2k times each. If you check double letter frequency, it's even worse. Every letter has between 50 and 100 doubles.

It's too clean, there are either fillers or it gets translated to number then back to letter. If it's fillers, then there's a hopping algorithm. Skip every 2/3/4/5 letters, diagonal, vertical, backwards, mixed with a modular cipher.

Maybe playfair cipher or vigenere cipher?

The things I know how to try are likely too simple. What's the source of the puzzle?

Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:50 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Diamond Contributor

I think it may be an image in some analog form. A decade or so there was a fad where you stared at a poster and eventually could see something, well some people could but I never was able to.

I have some summary data along the lines of most frequently occurring letter and pair. I will try to post this tonight.

Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:48 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Bookasaurus

BookTalk.org Moderator
Silver Contributor

It's gonna be solved by an employee of the N.S.A. :hmm:

Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:23 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

BookTalk.org Moderator
Gold Contributor

Quote:
I have some summary data along the lines of most frequently occurring letter and pair. I will try to post this tonight.

I thought of copy/pasting it, but didn't see any significance. They're all more or less even.

Quote:
A decade or so there was a fad where you stared at a poster and eventually could see something, well some people could but I never was able to.

I still have a book of those. Cross your eyes then space out a little bit, and they'll eventually lock onto the right depth. It's like when you look at a door screen and it looks closer than it really is because your eyes are slightly crossed. Your brain thinks your eyes are looking at the right square, when in fact they're different squares.

If that's the case you could use geometry to transpose the letters. The math is beyond my experience. If you mean actual visual image, there is barely enough detail for a single word in aggregate. And if there are words, the frequency counts would be closer. I think it's one of the ciphers I mentioned, or some other advanced one that fills in gaps with underused letters.

Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:15 pm

Diamond Contributor

The puzzle was created by a friend of mine with a PhD in computer programming. I do not know the solution but it should be solvable by a high school senior. The only other hint I got from him was a story about a substitute teacher who showed stereo pictures to a high school class using a tabletop viewer one looks down through.

The puzzle format should be on a broadside included in a newspaper. I could not find a paper size large enough to fit it all on one page.

Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:52 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Highscores: 6

I wouldn't know where to start with a puzzle like this but I'll be watching to see what people come up with.

Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:49 am
Profile Email WWW

Diamond Contributor

Here is some information I developed about the puzzle.

Attachment:
aspstats.pdf [13.17 KiB]
Downloaded 51 times

Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:28 am
Profile Email

Diamond Contributor

Here is some information given to me including a hint of some kind.

Attachment:
aspstatsbasic.pdf [197.74 KiB]
Downloaded 51 times

Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:31 am
Profile Email

Diamond Contributor

I think part of it may be a map because the last line is only five letters which spell miles.

Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:32 am
Profile Email

BookTalk.org Moderator
Gold Contributor

What you said makes more sense now. There are full words in the mix, but with transposition according to some algorithm. The algorithm is probably similar to the one they used to make the 'secret pictures'. I'll take a look with fresh eyes later.

This morning I had to travel from one branch to another, and needed to carry some credit card information with me. So I wrote it on a sticky note in a cipher. My fascination with ciphers actually only started two weeks ago, when I started Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson. The timing of this puzzle is good.

Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:28 pm
Tenured Professor

BookTalk.org Moderator

Interbane,

Check out these two videos by Numberphile about the German Enigma machines.

Excellent.

Fun cipher info dump.

http://www.numberphile.com/videos/enigma.html

http://www.numberphile.com/videos/enigma_flaw.html

Have you tried that? Looking for answers?
Or have you been content to be terrified of a thing you know nothing about?

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?

Confidence being an expectation built on past experience, evidence and extrapolation to the future. Faith being an expectation held in defiance of past experience and evidence.

The following user would like to thank johnson1010 for this post:
Interbane
Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:37 pm

BookTalk.org Moderator
Gold Contributor

That's good stuff. Stephenson write about the Enigma quite a bit in Cryptonomicon. I was just listening to a chapter about it this morning.

Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:33 pm

Diamond Contributor

Possible hint:

Start from upper left corner. Divide ASP into blocks of 17 lines and 17 columns.
From each section take the first 7 characters of the bottom line.
These represent a little-endian number in base 25 with 'a' representing zero.
Divide that number by its ordinal index within the message, then divide that value by 50411. The result will yield the corresponding letter in the clear by indexing into the first 26 odd primes: that is a=3, b=5, c=7,...z=103; 107 represents a separator.

Does anyone understand this?

Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:17 pm
Profile Email
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 1, 5.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 5.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 5.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 5.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 5.00 on the average.