Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue May 26, 2020 6:54 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Thanks, Science! 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Tenured Professor

Post Re: Thanks, Science!
Why is the night sky dark?

Can't explain that!

http://www.wimp.com/darksky/

Have you tried that? Looking for answers?
Or have you been content to be terrified of a thing you know nothing about?

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?

Confidence being an expectation built on past experience, evidence and extrapolation to the future. Faith being an expectation held in defiance of past experience and evidence.

Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:41 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Tenured Professor

http://io9.com/5950637/this-video-shows ... everything

Thanks Science!

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?

Confidence being an expectation built on past experience, evidence and extrapolation to the future. Faith being an expectation held in defiance of past experience and evidence.

Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:33 pm
Tenured Professor

You can't have magical kung-fu powers.

Unless....

SCIENCE!!

http://www.wimp.com/electricitytesla/

Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:21 pm
Tenured Professor

Getting into math can be confusing.

Here's what it feels like when Brian Cox and Jeff Forshaw try to teach me how to calculate the Chandrasakar limit of white dwarf stars.

But you know what, no matter what you are trying it always takes practice.

As Cox has said, you can't sit down at a piano and think, well I'm going to play this now. Oh, you know what, i can't. It takes practice. Then differential equations will be as easy as chopsticks. (sort of)

Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:43 am
Tenured Professor

The overview effect.

http://www.wimp.com/overvieweffect/

Thanks Science.

Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:18 am
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Gold Contributor

johnson1010 wrote:
The overview effect.

http://www.wimp.com/overvieweffect/

Thanks Science.

Friendly question here.
I do read your posts and you write some very interesting things, but why do I get the feeling that you've created science into some Oracle here?

Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:31 pm
Profile Email
Tenured Professor

How do we know about stars?

How is it possible to know what they are made of, or how massive they are?
How can we say how old they are, or how long they have to live?

Thanks Science!

Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:47 pm
Tenured Professor

Quote:
Ant:
Friendly question here.
I do read your posts and you write some very interesting things, but why do I get the feeling that you've created science into some Oracle here?

Oracles are magical. They make prophecies and lay claim to knowledge they couldn't know, and say such wisdom comes to them through un-knowable channels.

In that regard, i certainly hope i am not telling people that science works like an oracle.

The point of this thread and much of my interest on forums like this is to show people what's out there, and to get them actively thinking about science.

Why science? Because it is the only verifiable search for knowledge we've come across. Because it isn't right based on anybody's assertion. You can go check on the claims of science and see for yourself. You don't rely on a guy in a lab coat, you don't rely on figures of authority, you don't have to take anybody on faith. It's all right there waiting for us to look at it, and we can verify that it's true.

People say that a world without magic is a world without wonder. That knowing too much robs life of it's mystery and beauty. I try my best to point out what Feynman said above. Knowing about the thing you are amazed by does not diminish it's beauty. It increases the wonder and majesty, and clarifies what mysteries there are. By knowing, really knowing, what mysteries are truly out there you can finally appreciate reality for what it is. And that is a story far more interesting, full of more profound mystery, dealing with the most incredible interconnectedness that it utterly blows all of our invented stories out of the water.

It's out there for everyone to see! It isn't too complicated to understand. It isn't beyond your reach. it isn't just for people who work on the LHC, or pioneers of technology. It's there for you and I to investigate right here and now. You can understand where people came from. You can understand how chemistry is possible. You can find out what made the periodic elements to begin with. We are now even uncovering, step by step, what "nothing" really means, and where THAT comes from.

People claim science lacks wonder. Look at that video of the ISS sailing around the planet. That's beautiful. That's epic.

And our planet is at a tipping point. Just when we've become capable of taking care of ourselves on a global scale, the question has been put to us by our own laziness and short-sightedness, "WILL you take care of yourselves?"

The only thing that can keep so many of us alive is understanding our circumstances and being able to deal with them in real concrete ways. No amount of happy thought, or prayer, or denial, or self deception will keep the water drinkable, the land arable, or the nukes un-detonated.

WE have to understand these issues because we are all there is to deal with them. We aren't the best there could be. We are short sighted, prone to self-deception, greedy, and lazy. But we are all there is on this planet who has any hope of doing something about these problems. If we want to live longer healthier, happier lives then we have to do something about it. And the only method we've found that we can really prove works is science.

I'm not talking about particle physics, or engineering. I'm talking about the root of the scientific through process.

Observe, guess, test, revise.

This is how we have fed so many, how we have clothed, how we have housed, how we have cured sickness and empowered the healthy. It's also how we've been able to put ourselves in danger, and now it's all that can put us back on safe ground.

It will be innovation, not divination, which ultimately unlocks our potential.

The following user would like to thank johnson1010 for this post:
geo
Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:16 pm
Tenured Professor

Sci-

http://www.wimp.com/cheapwheelchair/

Hi-

http://www.wimp.com/whatcolor/

ENCE!

http://www.wimp.com/supersupercapacitor/

Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:26 pm
Tenured Professor

Brain works?

http://www.wimp.com/brainworks/

i can has SCIENCE!?

Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:44 pm
Tenured Professor

Voyager, drifting un-impeded through the empty stretches of space, might actually outlive our solar system.

http://io9.com/5981204/voyager-1-witnes ... g-cg-short

Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:52 pm
Tenured Professor

... science!

WHAT?!

i said thanks SCIENCE!

sorry...

Deaf woman hears.

http://www.wimp.com/womanhears/

Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:05 pm
Tenured Professor

graphene is cool.

http://www.wimp.com/thermalconductivity/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphene

Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:06 am
Tenured Professor

ehw...

http://www.dump.com/magneticputty/

Reminds me of your mom.

Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:20 am
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

BookTalk.org Moderator
Platinum Contributor

I saw an interview with Jimmy Carter on Jon Stewart this week where he talks about his foundation's work trying to eradicate Guinea Worm Disease. This disease has been around for thousands of years. Apparently these worms lay their eggs in the drinking water and people unwittingly drink them. About 12 months after infection, a flat white worm, about two or three feet long, begins to emerge through the skin (usually the feet), emitting toxins that cause burning blisters. It takes as long as three months for the worms to come out, apparently an excruciatingly painful process.

To prevent infection, Carter's people had to convince the people to filter their water, sometimes difficult because of beliefs that a particular body of water is sacred.

This a great humanitarian effort aided, of course, by a scientific understanding of the life cycle of the Guinea Worm.

PBS story
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperie ... inea-worm/

The Jon Stewart Show
http://www.publichealthnewswire.org/?p=7185

Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:04 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next