• In total there are 45 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 45 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Thanks, Science!

Engage in discussions encompassing themes like cosmology, human evolution, genetic engineering, earth science, climate change, artificial intelligence, psychology, and beyond in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Re: Thanks, Science!

Unread post

In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

Exoplanets!!

It's where you live once we've finally ruined earth!

http://www.uproxx.com/tag/exoplanet/
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

How does i smashed atom?

http://www.wimp.com/atomsmashing/
-Guillermo Del Torro

johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

Ever see an atom?

http://www.wimp.com/seenatom/

Thanks science!
-Guillermo Del Torro

ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

where was it, Johnson?

i looked at the video. it ended with 3D imaging that was a graphical depiction of what was believed to be a swarm of Atoms.
i dont think they were able to filter enough "noise" out.
And how can we be certain that what is being seen is not noise to a degree we do not know as of yet?

Ill look at it again. it seems though that you sorta mislead us here.
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

Did you watch the same clip as I did?

from the clip . . .

"Each of the tiny dots you can see here are actual platinum atoms."

That is very cool.
-Geo
Question everything
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

It's impossible to see an atom in the conventional sense.

Nor can we see this with the naked eye:

Instead researchers have gathered data and located where the atoms are and generated an image from that data that reproduces the arrangement in a much larger reconstruction.

Since we can't get a direct image with the visible spectrum we can't literally see it, yet all the same reasonable people would describe this as "seeing" it...

You should have easily digested this information from the video if you had any honest interest in it, instead of merely wishing to add another notch to your "anting" scoreboard.

Right seabiscuit?
-Guillermo Del Torro

johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

I've got a set of rare-earth magnets that come in a cube. They are just a fun little physics hobby toy, but i was strongly reminded of them looking at that platinum particle.

When you make crystaline shapes like the platinum particle, from certain angles you can see right through it, like looking through rows of corn.

Crystals are materials with repeated patterns in the atom arangement, like 3-dimensional wallpaper.

The same pattern is repeated in two dimensions in the above. and in three dimensions below.

Incidentally, these areas where there are individual layers are the most likely places and angles to sheer these materials. The first graphene was made by removing carbon layers with sticky tape!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphene

Very interesting stuff.
-Guillermo Del Torro

ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

geo wrote:Did you watch the same clip as I did?

from the clip . . .

"Each of the tiny dots you can see here are actual platinum atoms."

That is very cool.
Let me look at it again. im on my iPhone again.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

very interesting.
how is "noise" detected and corrected?
And are we certain that this is not a manifestation of noise?

Return to “Science & Technology”