• In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 758 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:50 am

Testing the waters

A forum for authors, as well as aspiring authors, to connect, network, and converse about all facets of writing, publishing, and promotion.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Apathy Man

Testing the waters

Unread post

Hello fellow readers!

After writing a number of poems and short stories during the course of my life, I always had one concept that stood out more than others when hoping to write my own novel. After stewing on it after a period of unemployment this past year, I recently decided to give it a go. I have already composed the query letter and three chapters, and after beginning the arduous process of firing the idea off towards literary agents, I felt it best to gather what concencus I could on if the concept seemed appealing in the meantime.

The first novel will be a 150,000 word modern epic, with a twist of alternate-reality fantasy. I plan on penning two subsequent novels (if succesful) to form a trilogy.

The basic plot is as follows:

Living his life with an art that had long gone unrecognized, an athletic hopeful named John unveils an extraordinary ability to harvest magic-like powers. Not without going unnoticed, a dark and hellacious man with a similar ability named Myrus sets his vengeance against John and his friend, Emily. Unbeknownst to the pair, this was only the beginning of the very world they knew turning entirely around.

After being saved by a mysterious man, the pair is transported away to a strange underground city called Isthera. They discover the Sereth, a remnant civilization whom are masters of the elements and capable of harnessing superhuman abilities. Shortly after arriving, John learns that Isthera was once his home, a descendant cast away from a powerful leader among the Sereth. Myrus, twisted by the years he had spent confined in Isthera, is in fact his long lost brother. As Myrus tears the world apart hoping to draw his brother from the protection of the Sereth, a group of four other members and his friend Emily must help John learn to utilize the power within his bloodline, learning that he is the only one capable of ending his brother’s reign of chaos.

And the expanded plot:

John couldn’t feel anything. His arms, his legs, his entire body, felt numb. Amidst the moving lips of the hall, John heard nothing. Something in his mind was telling him to stand, but as he looked down, he could already see the distant floor below. As he turned, he could see him, his aggressor, his enemy, staring at him. All that John knew was to look back.
It was at this moment that John had unwillingly found an ability within himself that had laid dormant his entire life. After being stunned from this discovery of supernatural capability, John and friend Emily are taken aback by a sudden explosion which destroys their school, and later find themselves being chased hopelessly by an oddly-clothed man with similar unnatural abilities.
With the fields around them ablaze, and having nowhere else to run, the pair are met by another mysterious man named Azoth, who manages to fight off their attacker and bring John and Emily to safety. Still trying to come to grips with the recent events, they discover that their safe haven is in fact a long lost civilization of people known as the Sereth, capable of harnessing the elements. But this is only the beginning.
John discovers that he is a cast-away descendant, born from the former leader of the Sereth, and the man who had attacked him, Myrus, is in fact his long lost brother. After murdering his parents, Myrus now has set his sights after John. But there are others amongst the Sereth that will not allow this to happen.
The cast of supporting characters, each with distinctly different personalities and responsibilities, harness certain elements that aid themselves in their protection, and ultimately the survival of the Sereth. Their task is to help John utilize his abilities and come to realize that only a member of his bloodline can stand against the very person who means to kill him.
Although normal members of the Sereth have their lifetime to practice their arts, John’s time is far more limited. Yet, his bloodline allows him to absorb events and perform abilities far more advanced than others. To do this, John must train for months, but not without the assistance of the supporting cast, and his friend Emily, who vows to stay with John in the most otherworldly place imaginable.
By the time John is able to use his abilities, his brother has tired of the standstill. He has taken it upon himself to burn many towns to the ground in an attempt to fish John out of hiding, from the protection of the Sereth. Seeing that lives were destroyed as he remained in hiding, John tries his best to convince the members of the Sereth to take action against Myrus.
After seeking survivors from Myrus’ reign of pillage, Emily is kidnapped. John and the members of the Sereth agree to ensue in battle with Myrus, who is poised to destroy a major city. After a long and difficult battle that threatens the lives of the city and John’s dearest friend, Myrus finally submits, but manages to escape. The Sereth later come to recognize John as a leader, but trouble remains. Myrus is still on the loose, and with him lays the possibility of awakening a far more destructive force than any.

Return to “Author's Lounge”