• In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Terri Schiavo Case to be Decided soon...

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Re: Update

Unread post

At the very least, I wish they had ruled that she should be euthanized. Simply removing the feeding tube means that her death will entail starvation and hydration. Since there's some degree of uncertainty over whether or not she can feel, that method leaves over the possibility that she will, on some minimal level, suffer. I'm not certain about the ethics of allowing her to die at all, but I do feel that there is a clear ethical breach in ordering a death that is potentially painful rather than a death that is, in all likelihood, painless.
marti1900

Re: Terri Schiavo Case to be Decided soon...

Unread post

Quote:I have told my spouse I would want to be let go and would not want to be kept alive in a state like that.I don't believe for a minute that when push comes to shove and you are in some hospital bed close to meeting The Answer To All Things that as your DW reaches to pull the plug, that you won't crawl back from the edge of The Great Abyss and put a bony claw on her arm and wheeze "I'm not ready! Not yet!" You are too feisty to let go that easily, despite any MB words you may type in your ruddy good health! LOLAnd when your DW responds, "But, dear, you SAID you didn't want to live like this.", you will answer back, "I CHANGED MY MIND!!!!!!"I go to many different types of MB's, and this case is being discussed heatedly everywhere, and most of the sentiment seems to come down against the husband, I think because he is living with another woman and has 2 kids with the OW, all the while claiming he cannot divorce poor Terri because of his religion. So the general feeling is that he wants to Get Rid of Terri without offending the Church so he can marry the OW. Talk about your convoluted rationales for Getting Rid of the Inconvenience.Marti in Mexico
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Unread post

Well gee...between you and Mad, I seem not to know anything I think I do...You analysis makes no sense to me. If his intention was to marry again, and if indeed he is hooked up, why would he need her dead? He has been given the opportunity to leave this, but stuck around for all these years...why? There is no money involved, so why?And he is INDEED offending the church in pursuit of what he feels or remembers as Terri's wishes...so am I to accept that divorce would be worse as opposed to what he is trying to do for Terri? It is easy to vilify the person who seems wrong, but I find in cases like this, it is the person who is stigmatized that is the only one acting rationally. Let's not even get into why I think Dr. Kevorkian's methods are a good idea.The thing is...Terri cannot put her "boney claw" on anything voluntarily. If she could, I would not be having this discussion, for she would be able to speak, or make her wishes known.No one knows for sure if Mr. Schiavo is acting on what Terri's wishes were, but I am willing, considering my points, to give him the benefit of the doubt. And anyway...the spouse is next of kin by our laws! I hear a Republican say yesterday (Luger maybe?...not sure) that he dose not CARE what her husband says...and these are the same people trying to protect the sanctity of marriage with a constitutional amendment? Oh...that is just so they can bash dem fucking fags legal like, I see...Mr. P. The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.I came to get down, I came to get down. So get out ya seat and jump around - House of PainHEY! Is that a ball in your court? - Mr. PI came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Quote:If the state of Florida had not acted, Terri Schiavo would soon be dead. She would have died because liberal secularists value death over life...Secularists often celebrate death...we would descend to the level of animals. Which might be the goal of the liberal secularists in the first place.Ignorant Bastard's ArticleThis is the kind of bullshit that makes me to value conservative/fundamentalist death over life. Ignorant. Emotionally charged ignorance.Mr. P. The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.I came to get down, I came to get down. So get out ya seat and jump around - House of PainHEY! Is that a ball in your court? - Mr. PI came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper
Ken Hemingway

Unread post

It's curious that all the press comment seems to treat this as some kind of "right to life" case. But it's really not. It is estimated (no data are kept) that several thousand people per year have a feeding tube removed because they are in a "persistent vegetative state". So why is this case controversial? Well, because there is a dispute between the husband and the parents about who has the right to make the determination. This is really a case about marital vs. parental rights to act on behalf of a totally incapacitated person.My understanding is that in most cases parents have almost no rights with respect to an adult married child.
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Right...Marriage gives the next of kin status to the spouse. Which, IMHO, makes sense.Mr. P. The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.I came to get down, I came to get down. So get out ya seat and jump around - House of PainHEY! Is that a ball in your court? - Mr. PI came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper
Loricat
Laughs at Einstein

Unread post

The idea that the spouse is next of kin is one of the main arguments for gay marriage -- because you would hope that a surviving partner would not have to fight the family for the partnership's children or assets. L "All beings are the owners of their deeds, the heirs to their deeds."
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

This thread was moved from the Religion, Philosophy & the Arts forum to the Politics, Current Events & History forum.Chris
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Unread post

One thing that has been interesting to observe in all of this is how little people are capable of addressing the ethical and legal implications of the case apart from their emotional responses to it. You can hear it in the adjectives they use -- a friend said, "Why don't they just let that poor woman die?" People are angry, and angry people form solid opinions quickly and with very little recourse to a second opinion. I'm not sure how we can achieve any sort of clarity on a matter as things stand. In some ways, it reminds me of the O.J. Simpson trial. Everyone seemed to have their own opinion as to whether or not he murdered Nicole Simpson. But if you dug deeply enough, it quickly became clear that their opinions generally weren't founded on any real preponderance of the evidence -- what evidence was available -- but rather on an emotional response. People were angry, either at the smugness of a celebrity who thought he could get away with murder, at a law enforcement system that seemed deadset on counteracting the success of a black man, or (if we admit that some people, even those we recognize as "good people", are sometimes prone to the worst thoughts) at a black man for killing his white wife. That these reasons for outrage were almost always founded on assumption rather than any real knowledge of the case was beside the point -- people needed a firm foundation on which to base their opinion, and these reasons served well enough. It always bothered me, how many people could give you a definite answer, "of course he did it" or "hell no he didn't." There were times when I would kissed a person on the spot if they had merely admitted that they didn't know.The Schiavo case is a little more worrisome, though. We're no longer talking about the consequences of a death that has already taken place, but of whether or not to allow a death. I'm all for an emotional response to events, and the deadening of emotional affect is one of those tendencies in our culture that I think we should struggle against. I am not so sure that it should play such a heavy role in determining law or ethics.
jjacobs43

Unread post

With all of the speculation about about the husband's motives in all this there is definately a similiarity to something like the OJ trial. But it's different in the sense that you don't really need to know all of the facts about the husband to have an opinion on the case. Whatever the husband's role and his motiviations, the fact is, this is a woman who has no chance of recovery based on any real medical opinions. I've never met a person that would want to be artifically kept alive like that. In my shoes, I'd want my spouse to be able to make the decision - I entrusted my life to this person when I married her. Removing emotion from the equation, you have to come to the conclusion that the husband should make the call - for the greater good of our freedoms.

Return to “Current Events & History”