Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:48 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average. 
Tempesta's Dream: Chapters 13 through 18 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:16 pm
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

Post Re: Tempesta's Dream: Chapters 13 through 18
Alfredo del Monte was scheduled to sing at La Scala. War happened and he didn't get to live his dream - destiny???
WWII happened to my life also...

I was amused by Anna giving Isabella the Italian mothers' evil eye. True to life portrayal of parents' dissaproval for their childrens' choice of a mate. Actually, I don't think Isabella would make a good match for Giovanni, either :), but that remains to be seen...

I would like more actual dialogue between Isabella and Giovanni, not just the author telling us what they talked about. I think it would help in the development of the characters.

My interest is piqued by the upcoming competition. Will Giovanni win?

Reading on...

Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:20 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Creative Writing Student

Chapters 13 -14

In Chapter 13, we get a look into the somewhat secretive past of Alfredo. Without giving too much away, the choice of the opera he was scheduled to sing at La Scala will come back and play a role in the novel later on.

In Chapter 14, Alfredo finally hears that voice. I believe Alfredo has put off hearing him for fear of finding out Giovanni is wasting his time pursuing a career, and will lose his new companion who comes to visit him and discuss, listen and learn about opera. But I think, with Giovanni pleading, he finally agrees to hear that voice. I also believe that thanks to the Maenza brothers, his own faster, and his own years of singing, Giovanni already possessed the voice. What he needed was confidence and a break. Opera history is filled with singers who learned the craft without attending actual music schools or full blown professional teaching. Mario del Monaco and Mario Lanza are great examples.

I will admit I love the part when Giovanni sings "A te, o cara" from I Puritani by Vincenzo Bellini and Alfredo stops playing the piano, dumbfounded by the sound. The aria is from the bel canto (beautiful song) period of opera which is known for it's long lines, melodies and perfect legato. Here is a clip of that aria, which, technically is a killer, as it has a lot of exposed high, high notes. Juan Diago Florez is one of the best tenors today singing this aria.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAYxfkzwTHY

In the early 70's, this opera and this aria, in particular, put Pavarotti and Sutherland on the map with some very famous performances. There is no video of Pavarotti singing it, but tons of recordings. Check those out as well.

Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:33 am
Profile Email
Creative Writing Student

Chapter 15-16

I hope these come out. Some photos of Milan, The Galleria, The Cathedral, and La Scala

Galleria:
http://www.luxurytraveladvisor.com/file ... nhouse.jpg

Cathedral:
http://www.truemilan.com/place/the-duom ... di-milano/

La Scala:
http://www.panoramio.com/photo/765410

Angelo's would be down the street to the right of La Scala, as it faces the piazza.

Last edited by calaf68 on Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:39 am
Profile Email
Creative Writing Student

Chapter 17

I loved going back to Milan in 1943 as Alfredo prepared for his debut. I thought having Lydia's father play a role in his life, kept a connection between the two of them now that she works at the nursing home where Alfredo lives.

And now we find out Alfredo's secret. Destiny has raised its head again.

La Scala after the bombing in 1943.
http://www.ganzomag.com/wp-content/uplo ... -scala.jpg

Last edited by calaf68 on Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:45 am
Profile Email
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

"A te, o cara" by Juan Diago Florez: beautiful couple, beautiful voices...these two singers are exactly how I would imagine Giovanni and Isabella to look...
Other pictures are most impressive...
Europe was a piece of rubble after WWII...it was total devastation...
Destiny may play a role in putting people in certain situations, but how a person reacts and what he decides to do in that situation determines what happens down the road. Many opportunities present themselves to people. Wheather one grabs the opportunity or lets it pass (for various reasons) determines various outcomes. Giovanni could have kept on walking by Casa di Riposo, but he chose to go in and see who was singing, and thus met Alfredo. It was Giovanni's decision to go in...

Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:39 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Gold Contributor
Book Discussion Leader

Crystalline wrote:
Destiny may play a role in putting people in certain situations, but how a person reacts and what he decides to do in that situation determines what happens down the road. Many opportunities present themselves to people. Wheather one grabs the opportunity or lets it pass (for various reasons) determines various outcomes. Giovanni could have kept on walking by Casa di Riposo, but he chose to go in and see who was singing, and thus met Alfredo. It was Giovanni's decision to go in...

Yes, and this seizing of the day in the meeting between Giovanni and Alfredo is one of the great psychological moments of Tempesta's Dream. There is always the easy option of walking away, of being ordinary, of failure. This decision to tear up the business cards in despair had seemed an abandonment, but the thin golden chain of heaven still has its unbroken hold on Giovanni, who rolls the dice as a last act of hope and defiance. He cannot know how Alfredo will react, or if their friendship and studies will gradually blossom and grow. All such relationships face the risk of destruction through one chance early word.

It reminds me of some regrets I have in my life, for example at a public meeting a politician mentioned a new technology I had introduced to him, and that might have been an opportunity for me to follow up, but I wasn't quick enough.

The following user would like to thank Robert Tulip for this post:
youkrst
Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:27 pm
Profile Email WWW
Creative Writing Student

Chapter 18

The book is driving toward the competition. Giovanni is fully committed and has put all of his trust in Alfredo. You do get the sense that he truly believes that he is on the cusp of finally achieving his life's dream. He believes he will win. He knows he has to. Hanging over all of this is the idea that Giovanni was so close to giving up his dream when Toscano sent him away, yet he found Alfredo, which rekindled that desire and hope. At this point, I would think the reader has to be rooting for this young man, and are hoping the competition is his break.

Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:34 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Gold Contributor
Book Discussion Leader

Giovanni has a sublime faith in himself and a sublime talent. What more to want?

Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:26 am
Profile Email WWW
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.