Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:42 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average. 
TED Radio Hour 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I can has reading?

Silver Contributor

Post TED Radio Hour
For anyone who enjoys TED talks, there is a new radio show called The TED Radio Hour. I hear the first broadcast last weekend - lots of fun. Last week the topic was mental illness. If anyone listens to this week's show and wants to discuss the ideas, I'll be here.

http://www.npr.org/programs/ted-radio-hour/

The following user would like to thank Saffron for this post:
geo, johnson1010, VicCast
Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:08 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Tenured Professor

Post Re: TED Radio Hour
TED! TED! TED!

Thanks!

Have you tried that? Looking for answers?
Or have you been content to be terrified of a thing you know nothing about?

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?

Confidence being an expectation built on past experience, evidence and extrapolation to the future. Faith being an expectation held in defiance of past experience and evidence.

Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:02 am
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I can has reading?

Silver Contributor

johnson1010 wrote:
TED! TED! TED!

Thanks!

Ya, I love TED too. My daughter attended TEDxRVA (Richmond, VA) yesterday. I watched a little streaming.

Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:22 am
Profile Email
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

BookTalk.org Moderator
Platinum Contributor

My wife and I are driving down to Florida and I've just loaded up my iPod with a bunch of stuff to listen to. I downloaded a bunch of TED radio hours (which are available as podcasts through iTunes). I also downloaded (from YouTube) the two TED talks that were declined by TED, prompting an outcry of censorship.

For good measure, I also downloaded a few Skeptic's Guide to the Universe (podcasts) and the audiobook for DUBLINERS by James Joyce.

But anyway, the TED radio show looks good. I'm looking forward to listening to these. Thanks, Saffron, for mentioning them.

Last edited by geo on Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:06 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Tenured Professor

ooh! jelous of daughter!

My wife and i looked up the TED convention, and i think we gave up dreams of going based on a stipulation that you had to be invited. Maybe that's just for the main TED conference.

Have you tried that? Looking for answers?
Or have you been content to be terrified of a thing you know nothing about?

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?

Confidence being an expectation built on past experience, evidence and extrapolation to the future. Faith being an expectation held in defiance of past experience and evidence.

Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:32 pm
I can has reading?

Silver Contributor

johnson1010 wrote:
ooh! jelous of daughter!

My wife and i looked up the TED convention, and i think we gave up dreams of going based on a stipulation that you had to be invited. Maybe that's just for the main TED conference.

You need to go to a TEDx event. I went in October 2012 to the Mid-Atlantic TEDx in Washington DC. It was two fabulous days. Here is a link to the upcoming events in Michigan. The cost varies, but you can volunteer (this is what my daughter did).
http://tedxdetroit.com/Michigan.html

Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:24 pm
Profile Email
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Platinum Contributor

Yeah, the TED formula has proven to be super powerful. I went to the Washington DC TED X as well last October and found it to be one of the best forms of entertainment. The two main TED events that occur each year are somewhat on the level of the Aspen Ideas Festival and are high ticket affairs that are out of my financial league. But the independently organized TED X events are much cheaper. DC was $140 for the two full days (with food) and I thought that was a good deal. By now, there have been upwards of 5,000 TED X events around the world. I have yet to manage to listen to the radio hour, though.

Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:26 am
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Creative Writing Student

*bump*

Thanks! I can't wait to hear some on my iPod. Right between RadioLab and This American life.

Tommy is also Available on Amazon.com
http://thred.me/RURm5W Let's turn Tommy into an e-book!!!

Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:17 pm
Profile Email WWW
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.