Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:35 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average. 
Supernatural is awesome 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Tenured Professor

BookTalk.org Moderator

Post Supernatural is awesome
Supernatural is a show on CW network.

It is a road trip story about two brothers who travel back and forth across america looking for real supernatural events. They drive into all these different locations and find ghosts killing people, pagan gods conducting sacrifices, or urban legends come to life (hook man, bloody mary) and they destroy these evil forces using the specified means in the associated lore.

I plowed through the DVD's in no time flat.

If you are interested in horror/ghost stories, you should get into this show at once.

Have you tried that? Looking for answers?
Or have you been content to be terrified of a thing you know nothing about?

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?

Confidence being an expectation built on past experience, evidence and extrapolation to the future. Faith being an expectation held in defiance of past experience and evidence.

Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:38 am
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Platinum Contributor

Post Re: Supernatural is awesome
Johnson, I wish I could enjoy stuff like that. You obviously don't believe in the supernatural, yet you are able to get into a show like "Supernatural" anyway. My kids liked Harry Potter, but I couldn't even enjoy that with them. I guess I feel that there is such amazing reality around, that it wastes my time to read about or watch paranormal or fantasy books/programs/movies.

Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:44 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

BookTalk.org Moderator
Platinum Contributor

Thanks Johnson. I might look into that. But first I'm looking into Lost. :lol: I have always liked supernatural stories a lot. I used to be into the x files back in it's heyday. I like supernatural fiction a lot as well, especially ghost stories and sci-fi, although I tend to gravitate more towards literary and nonfiction more and more these days.

Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:26 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Tenured Professor

BookTalk.org Moderator

I enjoy good storytelling, regardless of the subject matter.

The later seasons start to deal more heavily with demons and angels, and eventually lead to the apocalypse. Of course, none of this stirs a hair of belief in me, but they do make for interesting worlds to explore. Using supernatural structures you can speak on subjects from an oblique angle.

The same thing with "District 9" which was another peice of entertainment i recommended on this site. They use the aliens and their very "other" behavior and appearance to apply all kinds of oppression and mistreatment. It lets us view these things from a safe perspective. You begin to identify with some of the aliens, despite their being so "other" and many of them seemingly deserving of our contempt, but you start to feel that they are being very badly mistreated. Then you realize that we are doing this to ourselves right now. No aliens needed.

Aside from ghost hunting, there are interesting explorations of family dynamics in Supernatural, along with some very comedic episodes.

A few highlights.

They hunt a version of the Krampus
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krampus

Crossroads bargains with the devil
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Johnson_(musician)
Robert Johnson's story is featured in this episode.

zombies

the origin of halloween

a lucky rabit's foot that really works

Very entertaining stuff.

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?

Confidence being an expectation built on past experience, evidence and extrapolation to the future. Faith being an expectation held in defiance of past experience and evidence.

Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:52 am
Tenured Professor

BookTalk.org Moderator

I hope that won't stop you from getting a copy of my book when i get it published DWILL.

Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:53 am
Tenured Professor

BookTalk.org Moderator

Geo,

Supernatural has a lot of the feel of the scary X-files episodes. They turn away from sci-fi horror, and stick more with superstitious horror though.

Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:55 am
Book General

Silver Contributor

I agree with you Johnson, my daughter and I have been watching "Supernatural" for years. My husband is now hooked on it too. The show has been on for many years, and you would think they would have run out of ideas by now, but no, it gets more and more creative. I love that creepy angel with the trench coat. Worth checking out!

Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:49 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

I'll have to check out the show.

Atheists and freethinkers can enjoy shows that focus on the supernatural and nutty themes. We have imaginations and enjoy good fiction just as much as the next person. My wife and I love the HBO special "True Blood," yet neither of us believes in vampires.

Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:26 am
Profile Email WWW
Tenured Professor

BookTalk.org Moderator

I like true blood as well.

I am not a huge fan of Sookie's vamp boyfriend though, Bill, is it?

I think she would be better off with the northman, haha.

"I AINT NO FANG BANGER!"

That show deals with some interesting ideas as well. I enjoyed Goderick's stint with the christians.

Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:55 am
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Goderick was pretty cool.

Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:09 am
Profile Email WWW
Tenured Professor

BookTalk.org Moderator

100th episode tonight!

Rumor has it that somebody important might be killed off this episode.

Dread...

Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:33 pm
Tenured Professor

BookTalk.org Moderator

Last night was the season premier of supernatural.

I really liked the new angle they are taking this year. Looks like we are getting a nod to the lovecraftian monsters this season.

I thought Castiel did a good job wrestling with the burden of so much power and his self-justifying.
Death was great as always. He needs his own show.

I thought they were a little scattershot last season.

They introduced several through lines without really doing anything great with them. The angelic weapons thread kind of evaporated a third of the way through, i don't even remember what happened there, and then Eve ended up being a big let-down.

The surprise turn of Castiel was a definite high-light though. I still liked it, but it could have used some tightening up.

Anybody watching these days?

Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:48 am
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Master Debater

I am a really fan of this Tv series.

Finishing the 7th Season! :D

And also I prefer to watch in english.

Yo can´t imagine how diferent are the "voices" into spanish :no:

Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:05 am
Profile Email
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.