Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 13, 2021 5:30 am

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 35 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Suggestions Wanted: Feb. & Mar. 2009 Non-Fiction Book 

Post Doidge Brain that Changes Itself.
How about Norman Doidge, The Brain that Changes Itself.
Seems like it might be a great source for ideas about keeping our brains in shape. Brain plasticity seems the buzzword.

for a short article with his views see
http://newhumanitst.org.uk/1899

[gee its frustrating not to be able to paste into this post]
Perpetual Student

Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:23 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
All Star Member

I would have to agree that a good memoir is in order. Obama's book would be good. I also have a biography of Doc Holiday that would be interesting.

Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:54 pm
Profile Email YIM
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Gold Contributor

Post Death From the Skies by Phil Plait
People may like to consider Death From the Skies by Phil Plait.

http://www.amazon.com/Death-Skies-These ... 0670019976 says "Plait, an astronomer and author of the popular Web site badastronomy.com, presents in loving detail the many, many ways the human race could die, from temperature extremes and poisonous atmosphere to asteroid impacts and supernovae explosions. Such a state of destruction existed some 65 million years ago, when a giant meteoroid struck Earth, sending up so much flaming debris that the whole planet caught fire and the dinosaurs were wiped out. Solar flare activity could bring on another Ice Age. Worse yet would be a gamma ray burster, a collapsed star whose radiation would be comparable to detonating a one-megaton nuclear bomb over every square mile of the planet. Plait discusses insatiable black holes, the death of the Sun and cannibal galaxies

Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:37 pm
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I Should Be Bronzed

Silver Contributor

I'm really in the mood for something a little more down to earth ;) (hyuk hyuk), but I think this would be interesting. I would participate in the discussion of this book, for sure.

The books value as educational shock entertainment would be its biggest draw. I can't see the discussions getting too deep because the information is scientific, probably over most of our head's, and probably won't tug at anyone emotionally enough to want to discuss what was read. People would probably just absorb it and comment, "Wow, I didn't know."

Non fiction books that stir our emotions should probably be read more often than not on a forum like this. This is a perfect outlet for people to truly say what they feel because they have some anonymity. I think, on average, people are more apt to be less politically correct and more honest. They are less likely to abide group-think and would question every posting rather than settle because of a person's title, religion, race, or special interests.

A book like this would be wasting the forum's ability to do this. It would probably be very entertaining but it would probably fair worse than Your Inner Fish did. At least that book was going against the grain of religion.

I think we need to find the books that cater to the virtues of this forum. We need to find something controversial - something we can discuss with fervor, anger, excitement, and vigor. A book that we probably wouldn't discuss with our next door neighbor.

I'm not saying the books I've suggested fit this mold. They're only what I would like to read.

If there aren't any suggestions along these lines, or if they're not interesting enough for me to read and vote for, I will be voting for the space book.

Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:57 pm
Profile Email YIM
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Intern

Post THE CASE AGAINST HOMEWORK
The Case Against Homework: How Homework Is Hurting Children and What Parents Can Do About It (Paperback)
by Sara Bennett (Author), Nancy Kalish (Author)

this book will cause some very lively discussion. I would LOVE to discuss this one.

Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:26 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I Should Be Bronzed

Silver Contributor

I keep thinking about your quote. Do you know what a 'tea-bag' in today's language is? I'm not going to tell you as I've promised Chris that I would be less explicit.

You can go to www.urbandictionary.com and look it up if you'd like. It really makes your quote come to life!

Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:33 pm
Profile Email YIM
Brilliant

Bronze Contributor 2

Well in terms of say three books I would be interested in I would have to do a preliminary vote for:

:book:

THE UNIVERSITY IN CHAINS by Henry Giroux and The Wealth of Nations, I don't have a third choice yet, the only other was a suggstion of mine as well for AGAINST THE NEW AUTHORITARIANISM also by Henry Giroux but to have two nominations from the same person for the same author may be against the rules.

I feel that my selections will prove to be the most provocative as well a topical and relevant. Hope you all find them to be as such. I would encourage everyone to listen again to CBC's feature the suspect society.

http://www.cbc.ca/ideas/features/suspec ... index.html

Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:51 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:23 pm
Profile Email WWW
All Star Member

All I can say that I am glad I wasn't the only one thinking along those lines.

Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:49 pm
Profile Email YIM
Better Thread Count than Your Best Linens

Silver Contributor

The Case Against Homework: How Homework Is Hurting Children and What Parents Can Do About It (Paperback)
by Sara Bennett (Author), Nancy Kalish (Author)

this book will cause some very lively discussion. I would LOVE to discuss this one.

I would have very strong opinions about this subject and would enjoy debating them (I followed some unconventional educational methods with my children), but I am not sure how much interest this would have on here for members without children or members whose children are now adults.

P. Camacho...I am curious, what is a tea-bag in today's language? Somebody fill me in, maybe PS if not fit for general viewing.

Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:09 pm
Brilliant

Bronze Contributor 2

If we want to read about homework why don't we read about Universities rather than childerns schools. I don't even have childern!! Looking up information online made the Homework book seem onesided and even in error. When I was in highschool we didn't have that much homework. The book is obviously for parents who are too busy to pay attention to how their childern are doing.

Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:27 am
All Star Member

I maybe slow, but let's stay away from the whole homework issue. I am have graduated from college and don't have any children. Since I have joined I have noticed that some of the non-fiction choices are surrounding religion or very deep subject matter. Maybe I should stay in the fiction arena but some of that stuff goes way over my head. This is why I am always recommending memiors or biographies. Just a thought.

Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:54 am
Profile Email YIM
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Please just go to the Urban Dictionary site and look up the term. President Camacho provided a link.

Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:59 am
Profile Email WWW
Graduate Student

Silver Contributor

I would be interested in reading Barack Obama Dreams of my Father, Wealth of Nations by Adam Smith, and the Pivot of Civilization by Margaret Sanger. The Brain that Changes Itself also sounds interesting. Sorry Robert, Death From the Skies sounds too scary for me. I have an anxiety disorder anyway, don't want to feed it. :)

Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:38 pm
I Should Be Bronzed

Silver Contributor

You guys know how jumungus wealth of nations is right? It's monstrous! I think maybe I shouldn't have brought it up at all.

Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:48 pm
Profile Email YIM
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 35 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next