• In total there are 12 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 12 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Suggestions Wanted: Feb. & Mar. 2009 Fiction Book

Assist us in selecting our upcoming FICTION book for group discussion in this forum. A minimum of 5 posts is required to participate here!
ruteger

Olive Kitteridge

Unread post

I am new, so I don't know if maybe you have already discussed this one, but I would like to suggest Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout. I just got this book for Christmas.

I hope I posted the link correctly.

http://www.amazon.com/Olive-Kitteridge- ... 934&sr=8-1
Ophelia

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Oddly Attracted to Books

Unread post

Hello ruteger, welcome to Booktalk! :smile:

Yes,the link you gave was made correctly.
Ophelia.
Ophelia

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Oddly Attracted to Books

Unread post

I would like to withdraw my suggestion --The Woman in White-- as I'm no longer sure I'll be able to participate.
Ophelia.
Barbara
Official Newbie!

Fiction suggestion for Feb. and Mar. 2009

Unread post

Inez of My Soul by Isabel Allende
Ophelia

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Oddly Attracted to Books

Unread post

Hello Barbara, welcome to Booktalk! :smile:
Ophelia.
Barbara
Official Newbie!

Fiction suggestion for Feb. and Mar. 2009

Unread post

Ophelia, it's so good to hear from someone on this site. I'm quite unfamiliar with BookTalk, but I'm eager to learn. Barbara
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

I'm planning on reading Drood the second it comes out, which is supposed to be sometime in January. Does that make it too late for the Feb-March discussion period?

It's also 800 + pages.
-Geo
Question everything
Barbara
Official Newbie!

800 pages? Really?

Unread post

I don't mind long books - having read the very long and very excellent Edgar Sawtelle - but they take me a long time. What is Drood about?
President Camacho

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I Should Be Bronzed

Unread post

If we're suggesting books beyond 300 pages, I'd like to suggest:

The Decameron by Giovanni Boccaccio

Product Description
Set against the background of the Black Death of 1348, the hundred linked tales in Boccaccio's masterpiece are peopled by nobles, knights, nuns, doctors, lawyers, students, artists, peasants, pilgrims, servants, spendthrifts, thieves, gamblers, police-and lovers, both faithful and faithless.

http://www.amazon.com/Decameron-Signet- ... 772&sr=8-1
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Re: 800 pages? Really?

Unread post

Barbara wrote:I don't mind long books - having read the very long and very excellent Edgar Sawtelle - but they take me a long time. What is Drood about?
Chris O'Connor posted a description of Drood earlier in this very thread, but I'll repeat it.

http://www.amazon.com/Drood-Novel-Dan-S ... 290&sr=1-1

Product Description
On June 9, 1865, while traveling by train to London with his secret mistress, 53-year-old Charles Dickens--at the height of his powers and popularity, the most famous and successful novelist in the world and perhaps in the history of the world--hurtled into a disaster that changed his life forever.

Did Dickens begin living a dark double life after the accident? Were his nightly forays into the worst slums of London and his deepening obsession with corpses, crypts, murder, opium dens, the use of lime pits to dissolve bodies, and a hidden subterranean London mere research . . . or something more terrifying?

Just as he did in The Terror, Dan Simmons draws impeccably from history to create a gloriously engaging and terrifying narrative. Based on the historical details of Charles Dickens's life and narrated by Wilkie Collins (Dickens's friend, frequent collaborator, and Salieri-style secret rival), DROOD explores the still-unsolved mysteries of the famous author's last years and may provide the key to Dickens's final, unfinished work: The Mystery of Edwin Drood. Chilling, haunting, and utterly original, DROOD is Dan Simmons at his powerful best.
-Geo
Question everything

Return to “What fiction book should we read and discuss next?”