• In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Suggestions for setting up an Author's Showcase at the library

A forum for authors, as well as aspiring authors, to connect, network, and converse about all facets of writing, publishing, and promotion.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Denio Press
Getting Comfortable

Suggestions for setting up an Author's Showcase at the library

Unread post

Hello all,

I recently made a date (March 12th) to set up a table at my local library to help showcase my book for their "Children's Author Showcase". I have never done anything like this and would love some ideas on how to make my table inviting and fun for kids and parents. Of course I have the actual book but aside from that, what would be some items to pass out? Display? Should I frame up some of the illustrations or pass out stickers? There is a Chinese theme to the book. Any suggestions would be very helpful. I am a wee bit nervous about doing this!
rchapman1tewantin
All Star Member
Australia

Re: Suggestions for setting up an Author's Showcase at the library

Unread post

Hi Denio Press

I've never done an Author's Showcase either but since you haven't had any responses yet I thought I'd make a couple of suggestions. To attract children to your table perhaps some cup cakes or sweets (snakes!) and a couple of little rubber toys that look like a Chinese Lion if you can find any. I'm assuming here that you are targeting young children. For older children perhaps a simple quiz they could fill out for a small prize. Hope this helps.
Attachments
Missing_in_Egypt_Cover_for_Booktalk.jpg
Missing_in_Egypt_Cover_for_Booktalk.jpg (12.78 KiB) Viewed 2192 times
Rita Lee Chapman
Author of the Anna Davies Mystery Series
Winston - A Horse's Tale
Dangerous Liaisons,
The Poinciana Tree
The Unicorn Angel
My Very Naughty Pony
Denio Press
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Hi Rita,

Yes! That is a great idea. Its the year of the snake and I could use that as part of the Chinese theme. I am also near San Francisco's Chinatown and could find some little trinkets for a song. I appreciate your suggestions. I think emphasizing China could be fun and educational too. I am also going to photocopy some illustrations in black and white and pass out a red crayon to color the doll (Ching is a doll wearing a red robe). Thank you for your response! I think this could be fun.
rchapman1tewantin
All Star Member
Australia

Unread post

Glad to be of some help! Enjoy your showcase - hope it goes well.
Rita Lee Chapman
Author of the Anna Davies Mystery Series
Winston - A Horse's Tale
Dangerous Liaisons,
The Poinciana Tree
The Unicorn Angel
My Very Naughty Pony
Denio Press
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Thank you again Rita!