Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:35 pm

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 33 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Suggestions for our next FICTION book discussion 

Hi1 I'm new here but figured I'd throw out my two cents. Those Who Saved Us" looks like a really good choice to me. Then again, if The Secret Garden is chosen~I would read that one, too!

Lori :smile:

Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:54 am
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Getting Comfortable

I'm reading this book and have gotten up to the four hundredth and eighty eigth page. So far it's amazing, insightful, philosophical, wonderfully written and has the most amazinfg cast of characters I've seen. It's a great read.

Also, hi. I'm also new here.

Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:44 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Oddly Attracted to Books

Gold Contributor

Hello Pennery, welcome to Booktalk! :smile:

Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:58 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I Should Be Bronzed

Silver Contributor

Post if you can read this, sex a teacher
I've read Dead Souls. In fact, it's the book I was reading when I first joined this community. I wish I would have written something about it so that I could go back and review what I thought of it. The book, as I remember, was very amusing, read easily, and kept moving - unlike some other Russian authors that make certain chapters incredibly painful. Gogol was a funny guy. Here is one of my favorite excerpts from Dead Souls

"His complexion was a deep, burnished red, the colour of a copper coin. As we all know, there are many such faces in this world, faces on whose finishing touches Mother Nature has wasted little time or effort, disdaining the use of fine instruments such as files, gimlets, and so forth, but preferring instead to hack away: one swipe of the axe - and there's the nose; another swipe and there's the mouth; sockets for the eyes she gouges out with a massive awl, and without any smoothing or polishing she pushes the product out into the world, saying: "There - it lives!"

This book is filled with humorous paragraphs like the one above and it makes the book a pleasure to read; especially considering that Dead Souls was written in the 1800's.

Ash, I noticed you like Russian Authors. I haven't read too much Tolstoy at all. My memory is incredibly bad. I know I read a short story by him for my English class. I have read Bulgakov and Solzhenitsyn. I also have Turgenev on my to do list.

- El Presidenteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee'! :king:

Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:47 pm
Profile Email YIM
I Should Be Bronzed

Silver Contributor

You know what, I'm going to put my two cents in here for what IIIII want to read. I doubt I've made a fiction pick before.

I want to read - (looking at book case) - lol, there is like no nonfiction in my book case at all. I have one row of fiction books and I've read almost all of them. The ones I haven't read aren't really BT material.

So, instead, I heard someone say that a thread about Montaigne's essays was to start. I think I'll start that thread and do like a daily thing with it. Maybe someone else will read along and comment with me :)

Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:02 pm
Profile Email YIM
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Better Thread Count than Your Best Linens

Silver Contributor

I'll suggest another Russian one..mainly because I just purchased it and am going to read it soon and it would be great to have it discussed on here.

Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy

Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:17 pm
All Star Member

I'd love to but I lent my copy to somebody and they're still reading it!!

Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:58 pm

Being new here, I'm just wondering what happens after we all throw out some suggestions. Do we vote? Do the moderators pick? Just curious..

Lori

Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:03 pm
Oddly Attracted to Books

Gold Contributor

Here is an example of how polls are organized .

Quote:
Official Poll

This poll will run from September 25th through October 5th.

This is the official poll to select our October & November 2008 non-fiction book. The poll is going up a bit late so we might run this discussion an extra month to give everyone time to order and read the winning book. In other words, if the discussion is active and interesting we'll make the discussion period October, November and December 2008.

To start with I'll explain how I narrowed the choices down from over a dozen to the 3 books appearing on this poll. First of all I didn't include any of my own suggestions since nobody else expressed an interest in them.

Next, the few suggestions from brand new members with less than 25 total posts were not included. From experience these people have the lowest probability of actually participating in the book discussion. Also, none of the books suggested by these newer members received any additional comments from other members, so even if these newer members had 25+ posts on the forums their book suggestions still wouldn't be included on the poll. Please don't interpret this community rule of requiring 25+ posts as anti-newbie. We all started out as newbies. You prove your sincerity and intentions by being loyal and active on the forums.

How to vote...

Only active members with 25 or more posts on our forums are permitted to vote in book polls. And please think before you vote. Votes influence the direction and future of our community. If you don't see yourself ordering the book you are voting for, reading that book, and making posts about that book on the forums don't vote. Book polls are not for sharing your opinion on what you consider to be a good book. They are exclusively for selecting a book that we can and will all read and discuss as a group. Your vote matters.

You can cast 3 votes. Distribute your 3 votes however you see fit. Maybe you really like 1 of the 3 choices and don't like the other 2 choices at all. In this case you can assign all 3 of your votes to your favorite book.

Or maybe you like two books with one of them being your top choice. The 3rd choice is not attractive at all. So you would want to assign 2 votes to your top choice and 1 vote for your 2nd choice. Assign no points to the 3rd choice.

Are you catching on? Yes, you can assign 1 vote to each of the 3 books. And please do vote even if you think you will be happy with any of the 3 books winning. The reason why your vote matters, in such an example, is because casting 1 vote per book shows other members that you will be participating in the discussion. Other people base their votes on how other people have voted, so please vote!

To vote simply make a post in this thread stating how you assign your 3 votes.

Example:

2 votes for Book Title 1
1 vote for Book Title 2
[/quote]

Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:57 am

That's explains it pretty well and makes perfect sense. I figure I tend to talk a lot so I'll have my 25 posts in no time! LOL

Lori :)

Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:00 am
Getting Comfortable

To MRK who mentions Those Who Save Us. I thought this was an excellent book. I would love to disuss it with anyone. I may be posting in the wrong place so if someone could set me straight it would be helpful.

Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:31 pm
Oddly Attracted to Books

Gold Contributor

Not to worry, your suggestion is in the right thread.

Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:36 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

BookTalk.org Moderator
Gold Contributor

Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:53 pm
Oddly Attracted to Books

Gold Contributor

And give up my cherished hope that the religious / atheist debates would be restricted to the non-fiction section? :angry:

Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:58 pm
Easy Reader

Silver Contributor

And give up my cherished hope that the religious / atheist debates would be restricted to the non-fiction section? :angry:

Yes, let's do keep them contained.

to the sharp pit
so long concealed
--May Swenson

Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:19 pm
Profile Email
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 33 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next