• In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

succesful ways to promote

A forum for authors, as well as aspiring authors, to connect, network, and converse about all facets of writing, publishing, and promotion.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
drewdamato
Almost Comfortable

succesful ways to promote

Unread post

Just throwing it out there if anyone has so really creative (which we all should be) ways to promote that have been very successful. DD

http://www.amazon.com/Bloodlines-ebook/ ... 666&sr=8-1
Imani Bey
Official Newbie!

Re: succesful ways to promote

Unread post

I wish to promote by starting a blog. I'm going to review people!
drewdamato
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

well please review my book. i've been doing a blog for years, it's at drewdamato.com. i kinda justr either talk about my books, or talk politics, some kind of social commentary. idk so much freedom with that.
Ban me now
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

Try the 5 day free download on Amazon. It was very effective for me with my first book. (1,000 sales in the week after) The second ended today, so I'll let you know if it's a similar experience in a few days
"Monsters are real, and ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win.” Stephen King
drewdamato
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

oh yeah i did that got about 500 downloads myself, but thanx though. the only drawback is then you can't put your book out on the nook or other medium once you enroll it in kdp.
Ban me now
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

In 90 day I can do that. In the beginning I had a book that 50 people bought, and based on thise sales I continued to sell. Not a lot, but one to three a week. Hopefully this will amount to continued sales over a long time
"Monsters are real, and ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win.” Stephen King
Lon Dee
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I've made business cards with my covers on them and information about where to get the book and hand those out at supermarket checkout stands, to restaurant waiters, people in elevators, etc. It's kind of fun, but not sure how successful yet as my books just came out.

I went to a big city library and handed the cards to people on the sidewalk. I tend to think that wasn't too successful because most people going to a library want to get the book for free. Plus it was cold that day and most of the patrons were just homeless people looking for a place out of the wind. It was interesting to meet people, though.
Lon Dee
Reader and Writer
http://lon-dee.com

You are what you read
sswf224
Official Newbie!

Unread post

With my book - The Escape Company (http://amzn.to/wHovxj) - I have tried

Twitter and Facebook and put my book on Smashwords
Gary Val Tenuta
Eligible to vote in book polls!

Unread post

Hi all,

For my first novel, The Ezekiel Code, I created a couple of 8.5x11 posters (printed on glossy stock) and put one on each of the side-back windows of my car. I also made an 18"x4" banner for the rear window. I have no idea whether they helped sell any books but, over a 4-year period, I know thousands of people saw them. :Eyes:

Like Lon Dee, I also made business card sized promo cards with the cover pic, website, review blurbs, synopsis blurb, etc. I just dropped them off where ever I went. The local Half-Priced Book Store let me leave a stack of them at the check-out counter.

Other than that, I did all the typical internet promo, facebook, twitter, myspace, etc. For nearly three years I spent a minimum of 4 hours a day on the internet :bananen_smilies035: doing whatever I could to promote the book.

It took about a year for sales to really amount to anything but it slowly gained momentum. Eventually it became a "bestseller" on amazon and bounced around from the top 10 to the top 100 for over 57 weeks. It was an amazing run but I had a terrific advantage. The storyline revolves around the 2012-end-of-the-Mayan-calendar thing. The niche market for that particular pop-culture phenomenon was really big, not to mention the boost my book got from the blockbuster "2012" movie. :clap2:

I should also mention the importance of "tags" on your amazon page. The higher the number of clicks on your tags, the further up the list your book will appear when people are using tags to search for particular types of books. With the help of a lot of other author friends (on an amazon forum) my tag clicks were somewhere around 120 as I recall. Whatever the number was, it was enough to put my book at the top of the list of books that came up when anyone searched amazon using the tag "2012". So, try to get as many people as you can to go to your amazon page and click the little box next to your tags.
ASH: Return Of The Beast
A fictional supernatural crime thriller, steeped in the occult and inspired by a real-life mystery.
http://www.ashreturnofthebeast.webs.com
FigureOfSpeech
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I blog, tweet, FB, have the info business sized cards. FB gave me a $25 credit to try advertising with. It did bring in a little traffic, but no noticeable increase in sales. I spend a lot of time on Goodreads. I've garnered a few reads/reviews and sales, but nothing stellar.

Return to “Author's Lounge”