• In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Student punished for beliefs in god

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Student punished for beliefs in god

Unread post

Quote:A student has been suspended from school in America for coming to class dressed as a pirate. But the disciplinary action has provoked controversy
irishrosem

1E - BANNED
Kindle Fanatic

Re: Student punished for beliefs in god

Unread post

Great story, Mr.P. And this is in North Carolina. Brave kid. Too bad though, I don't imagine there are many burka clad students in N.C. If there were, that would be a huge deal for the school district. If he takes it to court I think N.C.'s court is likely to rule that wearing symbols of one's religion is permitted. But wearing a full costume is distracting and inhibits the educational process. If there's a student sitting next to him in a burka, he would have a great argument to make. If there's a student sitting next to him wearing a cross on a chain, not so much. I hope they do, however, pursue legal action.As a coincidence, I just made a pirate costume for a pirate-themed party I will be attending in a couple weeks. I never knew pirates were part of the FSM mythology. If I was still in school, I could wear the costume in solidarity with the N.C. student.
tarav

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Re: Student punished for beliefs in god

Unread post

Yay for that kid! I am glad to see someone from NC shown in a good light! Try to keep us posted on what happens in this case.

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”