• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

SMALL MIRACLES

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
MaesterAuron151

Re: SMALL MIRACLES

Unread post

Quote:HOW!? HOW can we be pretty sure? Why would we think this? You are obviously just making this shit up based on what you want to believe. IF there was a god that could hide it's existence from us, HOW can YOU presume to know anything about it?YOU are the douchebag.Ok I think you stopped reading because I explained all this right after that. You didn't refute any of the actual substance of the post.Ok lets say there's some sort of mass miracle that proves there's a god beyond all doubt every now believes in god. That single act of gods has taken away a level of free will.Now of course many people will believe that this god needs to be apleased. After all it revealed itself that suggests it wants everyone to know of it. The miracle proved the god to be intelegent (otherwise it wouldn't really be a god), and all our knowledge of intelegent beings show that they inherently have desires and motivations. Now since this miracle also proved god to be extremely powerful (another quality thats pretty much required for it to be a god) it would seem a good idea to try and fufil this gods desires. So people will start trying things. Most likely things from relgions. I think we all know that religeous doctrines all have some very bad things to try. So a new wave of religeous dogmatism sweeps the earth this one more violent then ever because now we know there's a god and are trying to figure out what it wants so as not to invoke its wrath.I think that sounds like a pretty bad situation.Now there's another possibility. This miracle in addition to proving there's a god states exactly what it wants. Well nwo human beings no exactly what to do, we have no free will (or the illusion of it). We become puppets of some supreme puppeteer. Also not a very good situation.
Frank 013
Worthy of Worship

Re: SMALL MIRACLES

Unread post

MeasterAuron Quote:hmm close but still not quite there. Really, they outlived the western races by several decades because of those practices, heck on average they still do.Even if it was a religious practice historically it isn't now, and it still offers better results than prayer.MeasterAuron Quote:Not really, they just add another step on the endless argument that is a poorly played cosmological. It actually hurts the counter because you're distracted from the actual methods in which the counter is used. That's your opinion but the fact remains that atheism is the fastest growing belief in the US today and it is partly due to those arguments that you find so confusing. MeasterAuron Quote:Cockroaches have almost zero chance of outliving the earth; we on the other hand have a rather good one considering we already have space flight.You seem to forget that EVERYWHERE humans go insects eventually go with us.MeasterAuron Quote:Oh ok. What was that part about again?My moral superiority over most Christians.MeasterAuron Quote:Umm this is a field of science.Unless you are saying that because these scientists are theists they are fudging the data, then I don't care either way. Because like I said before if their belief does not affect their work ethic then I my care factor is zero.MeasterAuron Quote:It's still not a very good test sampling. Is this an in person meeting or did you talk to them on boards like this one?I know all of these people personally, some I know from work some are friends of friends.MeasterAuron Quote:I didn't say they had a 60% majority. I said those that believe in a personal god have 40%. I would expect a large percentage to be pantheist or deist.From the studies I have read there were almost no theists among scientists, nearly all were either atheist or agnostic, I can't remember the actual number right now but it was in the ninety something percent. Now these were primarily biologists, physicists, evolutionary biologists, and geologists leaving out many areas of study. So if you add in all of the other sciences you will probably get a more diluted number. I have no idea what that might be though. MeasterAuron Quote:What numbers?The numbers of surviving believers.In an area where they are being persecuted people hide and do things secretly, just as our friend the cockroach needs just one survivor to spread its species so it is with a religion. As long as one person kept quiet or hidden it is almost guaranteed that they will eventually find others of like mind and spread the word.Remember during the early days of Christianity they were hunted but they spread their word in secret and orally so there was no trace. It was never possible for the Roman authorities to have found them all and killed them. MeasterAuron Quote:What's wasted? The entire evolutionary process of the extinct species.The hundreds of thousands of life forms that die before a successful mutation can manifest (assuming that it does in time) MeasterAuron Quote:What truly dies? Every life.MeasterAuron Quote:Not really. The real world evidence gets shot down with the question "and what causes that". No matter how much science advances there will always be that question. Philosophy simply eliminates the argument in general.Really, then why have so many people clung to the belief? Only recently (since science has offered an alternative) has the general populace begun to move away from religion. What science offers is to show people what happened, how it happened and they are even encouraged to test the ideas themselves therefore witnessing the conclusion.How is that not a better argument? Later Edited by: Frank 013 at: 1/15/07 2:28 am

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”