• In total there are 33 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 33 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Should websites be liable for the content users post?

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Brooks127
Senior
United States of America

Should websites be liable for the content users post?

Unread post

There is a court case that is causing quite a stir. I've attached the headline, excerpts, and link below.

What's your thoughts on this?

Cheerleader lawsuit could quiet Internet: Web giants raise voices against defamation case

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2013 ... z2n0TYGXb7

"The case centers on the federal Communications Decency Act, passed in 1996 to help foster growth and free speech on the Internet by providing immunity from liability to websites for content posted by their users. The law also was designed to encourage websites to self-police offensive material." (The Detroit News)

"In December 2012, former Bengals cheerleader Sarah Jones, 28, also a former high school teacher in northern Kentucky, sued Richie over posts concerning the sexual history of her and her ex-husband. Jones said the posts were untrue and caused her severe mental anguish and embarrassment.

Richie said that the posts were submitted to him anonymously and that it was not up to him to judge their accuracy. He simply posted them and added a comment about high school teachers and sex.

In July, after federal Judge William Bertelsman allowed the lawsuit to proceed, jurors found that the posts about Jones were substantially false and Richie had acted with malice or reckless disregard by publishing them, and they awarded Jones $338,000." (The Detroit News)
tyler89
Getting Comfortable

Re: Should websites be liable for the content users post?

Unread post

In my opinion, it should come down to the user. It really is too difficult to control content these days and penalising websites for the actions of their users should not be the way to go.
VMLM
Experienced

Re: Should websites be liable for the content users post?

Unread post

Wait a second.

The site in question (thdirty.com) is specifically intended to work as a gossip machine based around sensationalist sexy pics. So in this case I think it's fair to say that the guy who made the website is responsible, since he's encouraging people to post stuff in the context of "finding the dirt" on people, without inquiring into whether the supposed evidence being submitted is real or not... That sort of mission statement should imply that any dirt "found" be evaluated before being published...

I have to say I agree with the court ruling here.

Return to “Current Events & History”