• In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Should we build a fence between the US and Mexico?

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Should we build a fence between the US and Mexico?

Unread post

Should we build a fence between the US and Mexico? I'm not talking about a little wire fence. I'm asking if you think we should build a big wall from the Pacific Ocean to the Gulf of Mexico.weneedafence.comResults (total votes = 7):Yes, this is essential for a variety of reasons&nbsp3 / 42.9%&nbsp I'm undecided&nbsp1 / 14.3%&nbsp No, this is a waste of money and time&nbsp2 / 28.6%&nbsp Other&nbsp1 / 14.3%&nbsp 
marti1900

Re: Should we build a fence between the US and Mexico?

Unread post

0 0 0 Other than the expense, logistics, and general scary jingoistic attitude that would display, sure, great idea.Mexicans (illegal and otherwise) provide the US with a steady and substantial labor pool for all those non-skill, low skill, dirty and difficult jobs that Americans do not want to do. If the US suddenly cut off all access to the US to Mexicans, your lettuce would cost $3.00 a head, your house twice as much to build, and nobody would pick up your garbage.Don't fall into the trap that Mexicans are taking away jobs from Americans. None of you would do the jobs these people do, and surely not for the money they are willing to do it for, nor would America's subsidized underclass. Too much welfare, and government programs buoying up the non-self-sufficient.You don't know poverty until you have seen rural Mexican poverty, and if you begrudge using the great American wealth to provide some schooling, medical care and a few other social services to the lowest of the low who have managed one way or another to scrabble into the Land of Milk and Honey, then you are poorer in spirit than these pitiful people are in purse.Marti in Mexico
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Unread post

Quote:None of you would do the jobs these people do,Not really Marti. Do not over-generalize the other way either.When an American is starving..they will do whatever work they can get.Mr. P. The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.The pain in hell has two sides. The kind you can touch with your hand; the kind you can feel in your heart...Scorsese's "Mean Streets"I came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

NickQuote:When an American is starving..they will do whatever work they can get.Very true, but you have to consider Marti's point. Americans aren't starving. We subsidize the poor in America creating a class of people that know damn well they do not have to work to eat. If a Mexican in Mexico held that attitude they would probably starve to death.I'm all for welfare, but we need reform. We have millions of able-bodied people sitting on their asses drinking 40's carrying their fat asses into the grocery stores with their food stamps. We have problems that need to be addressed.Chris
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Unread post

Chris:Quote:Americans aren't starving.I am sorry...you are quite off the mark and I will not discuss this further since it will end up as a heated exchange. Maybe the Americans you know are not starving...but look around. Maybe we are not starving in the extreme literal sense, but there are those who work regular jobs that do not even make it paycheck to paycheck anymore.I am not talking about people who abuse the system either. We should weed them out...absolutely.Mr. P. The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.The pain in hell has two sides. The kind you can touch with your hand; the kind you can feel in your heart...Scorsese's "Mean Streets"I came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper
IndigoWords

Unread post

I work two jobs and still live paycheck to paycheck. I'm single and childless but do not qualify for assistance because I work two jobs and have no kids. Yet a good portion of the taxes I pay go to subsidize the woman with 4 kids so she can sit around all day watching Oprah.I know raising kids isn't easy, especially if you're a single parent. If a person truely needed help getting on their feet (meaning helping them become self sufficient) I don't have a problem with helping. I have problem when I see the kids wearing Nikes and Tommy Hilfiger and the father driving around in 2005 Ford truck and doing it all off of welfare. It wouldn't make me angry so much, if the system wasn't so easily abusable.
Izdaari

Unread post

A fence isn't necessary to get the job done, but we do need improved border security so I voted "other." Nor do we need the military on the border, as Bill O'Reilly and others have suggested. I think the Border Patrol is a good agency and knows how to do the job, if we give them the manpower and equipment they need, and I think that's the best approach.I am not primarily concerned with the Mexican illegals. It's the undocumented Middle Easterners who come in via the same route that concern me most. Edited by: Izdaari  at: 10/15/05 2:14 pm
badmendicant

Fence Mexico

Unread post

Build the fence. If Americans get unhappy about the price of lettuce let them choose to allow more Mexicans in. Letting the people choose seems to be a major problem for the American version of democracy.Before we talk about Mexican poverty we should attempt to understand the causes of Mexican poverty. In my opinion the major unmentionable cause of Mexican poverty is Mexican culture. Its the same case with Africa I'm afraid.The importation of a poverty culture into the territory of a wealth creating culture is bad news for the affluent culture. Why should I tolerate the diminution of my ecomomic opportunities?
riverc0il
Senior

Unread post

yea, let's build a wall again! one even bigger and longer and wider than the one in germany!okay, i know it is a different situation, but c'mon. the problem is not the border, the problem is that illegals can even make a living in the USA. time to close up the loop holes, increase fines and enforcement of labor laws, and decrease the loops holes. if we didn't give these people a chance to make it, they wouldn't bother coming over.i manage a retail store and the amount of ID you need to successfully put someone on the payroll is impressive. it amazes me how easily mexicans can obtain work.the arguement was suggested that americans wouldn't do these jobs which is false. native born poor americans are working minimum wage at crappy jobs all over the united states. just because the readers of this forum obtained a well off and decent life style from an above minimum wage job doesn't mean everyone was that lucky. if illegals were not working those jobs, plenty of people would step up to the plate and fill in. maybe they would demand higher pay for crappy jobs and we would actually pay people wages that keep up with the buying power of a dollar which minimum wage has not done (buying power is the most imporatnt factor when considering how well off someone is). i live in rural vermont where there are no illegals, and you can bet your bottom dollar that poor native white folks are working those crappy jobs for minimum wage.no, i don't think a fence is a good answer. and i will say that without even considering the expense that would put on your already over burdened country (8 trillion in debt, hello? build a fence?). increase penalties for employers, increase enforcement, and close up the loop holes. don't offer services to people who don't pay taxes and are breaking the laws to be in this country. i know mexico is poor and life is tough down there, but breaking the rules does not fix the problem, it only delays a possible solution.
ADO15

Re: Fence Mexico

Unread post

No, I'm all for it - and while we're on, can we build the fence right round the USofA so we can keep the buggers from any more illegal invasions, kidnaps etc..? _________________________________________________________Il Sotto Seme La Neva

Return to “Current Events & History”