• In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Should Kofi resign?

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
fpla83

Should Kofi resign?

Unread post

This seems to be an upcoming hot topic so why not start a thread on it. The oil for food scandal may be the largest monetary scandal not only in the history of the UN but possibly in the world. If not then its up there for sure. Kofi's son is somehow mixed up in this and various other people close to Kofi. I personally respect Kofi Annan a great deal and recognize his achievements as Secretary General to be outstanding. Recently Senator Lugor from Indiana recently called for Kofi's resignation. I think a call for Kofi to resign is terribly premature. The facts are still behind locked doors. I especially do not appreciate people, who just so happen to be republicans, clamoring for Kofi's resignation when we are pretty much in the dark on the whole issue. However, why do they call for the resignation of Kofi over this scandal but support Rumsfeld over the Abu Graib prison scandal? I recognize that the oil for food scandal has been going on for years and Abu Graib took place over a much shorter period of time but I think the principle still remains. If you are in charge and this is allowed to happen, even though you may not have been aware of it, is it your duty to resign? That I think is what it boils down to.
jjacobs43

Re: Should Kofi resign?

Unread post

I have to agree. The charges seem serious enough and I would agree that he should resign if he is found to be responsible in any way. But, I have a hard time not being skeptical of any right wing 'outrage' toward the UN. Their arrogance about our country and the hypocrisy they show toward our own scandals removes all credibility with me regarding their claims about the UN. It's hard to pick apart the propaganda from the reality. If anybody has any good sources for getting real information about this situation I'd love to hear about them. I'd like to be a little more informed on exactly what the issue is without the political spin on it.
Niall001
Stupendously Brilliant

Re: Should Kofi resign?

Unread post

UN body gives Annan backingUN: UN Secretary-General Mr Kofi Annan received an unusual standing ovation in the General Assembly yesterday following calls for his resignation from conservative US politicians.Mr Annan has been accused by some Republicans in the US Congress of presiding over corruption in the UN oil-for-food program for Iraq, administered by the United Nations but supervised by the Security Council."I interpret this long ovation as an acknowledgment of your actions and also an expression of confidence in yourself and also of the work you have undertaken at the helm of the United Nations," Assembly President Mr Jean Ping of Gabon said after the applause, which lasted nearly a minute."In a world that is held hostage to doubt, by confusion and at times to confrontation, you have always remained a point of reference as well as a source of wisdom and of inspiration for millions of individuals worldwide," Mr Ping said.US diplomat Mr Patrick Kennedy was among those standing in the General Assembly hall, although the White House has issued no statement of support. "It was merely a sign of respect," a US official said.Meanwhile, the European Union yesterday also gave its support to Mr Annan. "The EU has full confidence in the competent leadership of Kofi Annan," Dutch Foreign Minister Mr Bernard Bot, whose country holds the EU presidency, wrote to Mr Annan.On Tuesday, Security Council members also expressed confidence in Mr Annan. Reuters
tibarann

should koffi resign

Unread post

who really cares about koffi.....just get us out of the UN
Niall001
Stupendously Brilliant

Re: should koffi resign

Unread post

What exactly do you know about the UN? Let us agree, there is no one single reality. Not upon this stage, not in this world, all is in the mind... imagination is the only truth. Because it cannot be contradicted except by other imaginations - Richard MathesonThere are no conclusive indications by which waking life can be distinguished from sleep - Rene Descartes
RickU

Re: should koffi resign

Unread post

I don't think he should resign given what I know about the case. I'm almost glad to see the UN scandal take place w/out America being the target of the scandal... In Vino Veritas

Return to “Current Events & History”