• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Should children be taught that Santa is real?

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: Should children be taught that Santa is real?

Unread post

The only defense I can think of for perpetuating the lie of Santa is that this deception is a well established temporary white lie meant to brighten the childs Christmas experience. Other than in weird situations, a child is slowly awakened to the myth over time. Cheryl, you make a good argument. I understand where you come from too. But I look back and am so happy I had the myth of Santa Claus to help make Christmas a magical time of the year. There isn't a damn thing magical about your parents giving you gifts. Yes, its nice, but it sure doesn't hold a candle to a fat jolly old man squeezing down my nonexistent chimney to give me all sorts of goodies/rewards for being a good boy.By the age of 8 I was aware of the myth, but I still am gald I was able to experience the thrill of it for so many years. I understand the desire to be totally truthful with your child, but their brains are still developing. Why not give them some happiness during these years when reality and myth are a blurry mess?The point I'm struggling to make is that Santa is known to not exist. The myth is told to kids because of love and a desire to give them a more imaginative and vivid holiday experience. One day the child will grow out of the myth. Why? Well, because we eventually share the truth with them. But with the God myth mature adults are still living in a fantasy world. They pick up guns and shoot other people because of their beliefs. Santa belief equates to happiness at a time when the human childs brain lives in a fantasy world anyway. God belief is dangerous. One is told because of love while the other is told due to ignorance.Chris "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -- Albert Einstein"If you're not a born-again Christian, you're a failure as a human being." - Jerry Falwell"I don't see any god up here." - Yuri Alekseyevich Gagarin (the first man in space), speaking from orbit, 1961.

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”