• In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Set to Soar: First X Prize Flight Today!!!!

Engage in discussions encompassing themes like cosmology, human evolution, genetic engineering, earth science, climate change, artificial intelligence, psychology, and beyond in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Set to Soar: First X Prize Flight Today!!!!

Unread post

Read more hereThe privately-built rocket plane SpaceShipOne is primped, primed and ready to attempt its first of two suborbital space shots this week which would secure the $10 million Ansari X Prize.The purse is an incentive that could jumpstart the space tourism industry through competition among rocket builders and entrepreneurs around the globe. If technology and the climes of the Mojave, California desert are in harmony on Wednesday, Sept. 29, SpaceShipOne -- attached to its carrier airplane, the White Knight -- will depart the Mojave Airport and Civilian Aerospace Test Center and head skyward to the applause of an expected throng of onlookers.Once dropped at high-altitude from the White Knight, the piloted rocket plane is to climb to the edge of space. Doing so and coming down in one piece would then lead to an attempted repeat performance -- another flight within a two-week period. That second launch attempt could occur, at the earliest, on Oct. 4, but the launch window extends through Oct. 13.The rulesThere are Ansari X Prize rules to abide by if SpaceShipOne and its builder, Scaled Composites of Mojave, California, are to claim the $10 million cash prize. To snag the prize, a registered contestant must:Privately finance, build and launch a spaceship, able to carry three people to 62.5 miles (100 kilometers) Return safely to Earth Repeat the launch with the same ship within two weeks The competition follows in the footsteps of more than 100 aviation incentive prizes offered between 1905 and 1935
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Re: Set to Soar: First X Prize Flight Today!!!!

Unread post

Stage one a success!!!www.usatoday.com/tech/sci...sari_x.htmIf the second attempt is successful on Oct 4, the winner will be space ship one!Exciting!Mr. P. The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.I came to get down, I came to get down. So get out ya seat and jump around - House of PainHEY! Is that a ball in your court? - Mr. P
booper54

They won the X Prize

Unread post

Stage two complete www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/spa...index.htmlI better start saving up so I can take a tour of space!
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Re: They won the X Prize

Unread post

Pretty exciting stuff! Does anyone think this will usher in a new era in space exploration. Not a revolutionary, quick paced effort, but at least an attempt at reaching long standing goals of NASA...Mars and more moon exploration? Or is this just a farce?Mr. P. The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.I came to get down, I came to get down. So get out ya seat and jump around - House of PainHEY! Is that a ball in your court? - Mr. P
RickU

Unread post

I'm hoping it's not a farce. I think it's an important stepping stone to the exploration and exploitation of space. This isn't a very big step, but at least it is A step. I'll be much more excited when private rockets actually escape earth's gravity. In Vino Veritas
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Someone likened it to the Wright brothers...but I dont think that quite fits...but I can see the point. This has the potential to spur private endeavors. Cutting out the government's red tape and bullcrap definitly has potential to get us into space, which I think is very important to our future on many levels.Mr. P. The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.I came to get down, I came to get down. So get out ya seat and jump around - House of PainHEY! Is that a ball in your court? - Mr. P
RickU

Unread post

Indeed Nick! I can't wait to see what happens next. I'm also eagerly awaiting space elevator tech. Carbon nanotubes are the biggest hurdle to its implementation. Getting into earths orbit is 90% of the challenge to exploring our solar system. In Vino Veritas

Return to “Science & Technology”