• In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

September & October 2006 FICTION suggestions!

Assist us in selecting our upcoming FICTION book for group discussion in this forum. A minimum of 5 posts is required to participate here!
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Re: August & September 2006 FICTION suggestions!

Unread post

I will read either Bluebeard or Hocus Pocus. I have had these books for a while now (bought a lot of "V" books off EBay) and have put them off for other readings. Realy. I am good with any Vonnegut book.Although my reading time has dwindled...so only take my input as an aside for now as I may not be able to commit to anything. I have not read past chapter 1 of each of the current books.Mr. P. Mr. P's place. I warned you!!!The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.The pain in hell has two sides. The kind you can touch with your hand; the kind you can feel in your heart...Scorsese's "Mean Streets"I came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Chris:Galapagos was GREAT. Hilarious social commentary.I will be opk with Hocus Pocus...but as I said...I will be very busy the next two months at least...so I may not be as active in the discussions. Keep that in mind when weighing my vote.Mr. P. Mr. P's place. I warned you!!!The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.The pain in hell has two sides. The kind you can touch with your hand; the kind you can feel in your heart...Scorsese's "Mean Streets"I came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper
pctacitus

Unread post

We seem to have had some success with Ender's Game, what about something else in the series? "...the great events in life come from the books, rather than the people, one comes across." - Robert D. Kaplan, Mediterranean Winter: the Pleasures of History and Landscape in Tunisia, Sicily, Dalmatia, and Greece
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

I was thinking of that PC. I already read Speaker for the Dead and thought it was incredible.Much more depth than Ender's and much more mature. Since I read it already...it would make part of the process easier for me, since my time is short lately.Mr. P. Mr. P's place. I warned you!!!The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.The pain in hell has two sides. The kind you can touch with your hand; the kind you can feel in your heart...Scorsese's "Mean Streets"I came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

I'll put the poll up soon. Anyone want to name the 3 books they think should be on the poll? More than 3 books would be excessive for the number of people currently active and potentially participating.
JulianTheApostate
Masters

Unread post

Kite Runner is a well-written story that provides insight into another culture, though parts of it were rather disturbing. However, I'd rather select a different book, since I'm not inclined to reread it or discuss it.I read a few Vonnegut novels in high school, over two decades ago. All I remember is that they were short, unusual, and mildly entertaining.I don't have any suggestions or strong opinions about the other suggestions. Given the lackluster discussion of Time Traveller's Wife, one of my favorite novels, I'm tempted to be more passive during the book select process.
JulianTheApostate
Masters

Unread post

Inspired by the Gibbon thread, I'll nominate I, Claudius.Historical novel set in 1st-century-AD Rome by Robert Graves, published in 1934. The book is written as an autobiographical memoir by Roman emperor Claudius. Physically weak, afflicted with stammering, and inclined to drool, Claudius is an embarrassment to his family and is shunted to the background of imperial affairs. The benefits of his seeming ineffectuality are twofold: he becomes a scholar and historian, and he is spared the worst cruelties inflicted on the imperial family by its own members during the reigns of Augustus, Tiberius, and Caligula. Palace intrigues and murders surround him. Claudius' informal narration serves to emphasize the banality of the imperial family's endless greed and lust. The story concludes with Claudius ascending to the imperial throne. A sequel, Claudius, the God and His Wife Messalina (1935), covers Claudius' years as Roman emperor.It's an excellent book that would probably appeal to the people here and would give us plenty to discuss.
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Unread post

I think the problem with nominating a second "Ender" book would be that people who didn't participate in the first discussion and haven't read the first book may be hesitant to jump in with a later book, even if it isn't necessary to read them in sequence.My picks for the poll would be "Hocus Pocus", by Vonnegut; "Woman of the Dunes", by Abe Kobo; and "I, Claudius", by Graves. All three are literary heavyweights, by fairly well-known authors, so anyone of them should strike a balance between a) attracting readers and b) giving us plenty to talk about.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Mad, I completely agree about a 2nd Enders book.I'll try to have this poll up later today. Mad, I'll reply to your last email too.
pctacitus

Unread post

True, something in the Ender's Game series might scare some. However, at the same time, it would have a built in group that would want to read it. "...the great events in life come from the books, rather than the people, one comes across." - Robert D. Kaplan, Mediterranean Winter: the Pleasures of History and Landscape in Tunisia, Sicily, Dalmatia, and Greece

Return to “What fiction book should we read and discuss next?”