• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

seeking ideas re marketing a nonfiction book intended for authors, law students, and general public

A forum for authors, as well as aspiring authors, to connect, network, and converse about all facets of writing, publishing, and promotion.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
kawyle
Official Newbie!

seeking ideas re marketing a nonfiction book intended for authors, law students, and general public

Unread post

After self-publishing five novels, I put #6 aside for a while to write my first nonfiction book, a guide to law and lawyers. I initially thought of it as a resource for other writers of fiction, a way to make it easier for them to explore the dramatic possibilities awaiting in American criminal and civil law. I've since come to realize that it may be of interest and/or use to law students and to anyone with an interest in how the law works -- though it is NOT intended to serve as legal advice or as an alternative to hiring a lawyer.

I've never been particularly good at self-promotion. My primary approach has been to approach bloggers whose audience might be interested in whatever book I'm promoting, and I've been attempting to do that this time as well. But if there are any members here with experience or ideas on how to promote a book like this, I'd greatly appreciate any suggestions!
L E
Getting Comfortable

Re: seeking ideas re marketing a nonfiction book intended for authors, law students, and general public

Unread post

Hi Kawyle,

Would you mind elaborating more on how well approaching bloggers worked for your first five novels? Do you recommend any particular bloggers?

I am completely new to promoting books. Thank you for any help!!
kawyle
Official Newbie!

Re: seeking ideas re marketing a nonfiction book intended for authors, law students, and general public

Unread post

I was able to get a fair number of reviews for the first novel by targeting book bloggers, and some of those reviewers have ended up my regular beta readers. I've had somewhat less luck (though some, still) getting reviews for the later novels, but I suspect at least part of the problem has been investing less time and effort in the process.

It's important to look at the blogger's review policy (I rarely contact a blogger who doesn't have such a policy). And it's also useful to look at some of their reviews, and to say something positive about a review or two in your query, especially if it's a review of a book that has something in common with yours.

Who I'd recommend would depend partly on the genre involved.
TalkPlusTell
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Hey, there are soo many ways to promote and market your non-fiction book. But the number one way I always try to suggest is to start getting testimonials from your peers! Ask professors for a testimonial- this will instantly gain trust with your target reader. Plus the professor may like your book so much that they recommend it to their students.

I also wrote a guide on social media strategies/tactics that you may find useful in promoting your book. You can find it here: http://www.talkplustell.com/the-ultimat ... guidebook/

Return to “Author's Lounge”