• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Savanna's Treasure: Animal Friendships, But Not Your Usual Picture Book Read

Share your current reading list, your impressions of the books, and whether you'd recommend them to fellow community members. Authors, please do NOT post in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
DianeD+
Getting Comfortable

Savanna's Treasure: Animal Friendships, But Not Your Usual Picture Book Read

Unread post

I think I mentioned before that I read a LOT of children's books and YA: they tend to be quick reads (I can read younger age groups in a day, in bits and pieces) and they lack the angst and violence of many an adult book (well, YA has been moving into this realm for years now...but, I digress...)

I picked up Savanna's Treasure by C. Behrens and the black and white drawings were a standout (though the cover's in color). These black and white line drawings are by Kim Johnson and accents a story in some ways classic for children's books, covering a friendship between animals and people who discover that their unlikely association can change their world.

While the story line may be classic for a young audience, it's, in fact, a different approach because such tales are usually limited to the very simple picture book age group - and Savanna's Treasure is directed to those beyond the easy reader stage.

As with any read (but especially true in a children's book), it's the protagonists that capture attention - and C. Behrens does a fine job of creating personable creatures that are engaging and fun.

The 'glue' of any story is how its characters are depicted, how they react to one another, and how they bond: Savanna's Treasure is all about these connections and how they play out in the world, and this lends to a fine read that takes an adventure story format and weaves it into something far greater than simple entertainment. Kids with good reading skills (likely, in grades 2-4) will relish this enchanting saga.

Return to “What are you currently reading?”