• In total there are 46 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 46 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 867 on Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:49 pm

Sad news about Oliver Sacks

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Saffron

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I can has reading?
United States of America

Sad news about Oliver Sacks

Unread post

A friend just posted a piece on FaceBook from the Opinion Page of the New Times, published 2/19/2015 by Oliver Sacks. Here is the title --

My Own Life
Oliver Sacks on Learning He Has Terminal Cancer

Over the years I have so enjoyed listening to and reading Oliver Sacks. Such a curious man and I mean that both ways. What a loss it will be to loose him. Here is the end of his piece. Professionally I work with the elderly, the first sentiment expressed in the excerpt is such an astute description what I hear from my clients. The second observation of each person's uniqueness sometimes sounds trite, we hear it so often. Unfortunately it is not until we are faced with loosing or have lost someone that we know all the way to the bone that this is as true a statement as can be made.

I have been increasingly conscious, for the last 10 years or so, of deaths among my contemporaries. My generation is on the way out, and each death I have felt as an abruption, a tearing away of part of myself. There will be no one like us when we are gone, but then there is no one like anyone else, ever. When people die, they cannot be replaced. They leave holes that cannot be filled, for it is the fate — the genetic and neural fate — of every human being to be a unique individual, to find his own path, to live his own life, to die his own death.

I cannot pretend I am without fear. But my predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved; I have been given much and I have given something in return; I have read and traveled and thought and written. I have had an intercourse with the world, the special intercourse of writers and readers.

Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and adventure.
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Re: Sad news about Oliver Sacks

Unread post

There was a boy
A very strange enchanted boy
They say he wandered very far
Very far, over land and sea

A little shy and sad of eye
But very wise was he

And then one day, a magic day