• In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Rock Star

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Ken Hemingway

Rock Star

Unread post

www.nytimes.com/2005/04/05/internationa ... .html?This article from the NYTimes offers some shading to the "rock star" reviews of the life of John Paul II (I still think that, after the death of John Paul I, he should have taken the name George Ringo).One quote from the article is: This authoritarianism, Mr. Carroll said, has had dire consequences for Catholics in the United States, where criminal activity in the priesthood might have been brought to light earlier had the church not been so determined to close ranks.It is interesting that almost no one seems to have disputed the claim that the Bernie Ebbers defence is wholly plausible if the CEO lives in Italy rather than the US.
badmendicant

Re: Rock Star

Unread post

I find this all a bit hypocritical. I don't know if Heffernan is herself Jewish, but it is not inaccurate to label the NYT as a judeophilic organ. Can you imagine the furore if a Catholic publication had the temerity to criticize a prominent deceased Rabbi? The pope himself was a major idiot and nonentity. Now that a pope has apologized to Islam for the crusades, can we have an Islamic prelate apologize for the enslavement of millions of eastern Europeans, the destruction of Byzantium, the destruction of the library at Alexandria, the colonization of Spain, the invasion of France, etc., etc., etc.,?

Return to “Current Events & History”