• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

RickU's Member post

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: Agnosticism

Unread post

The key questions to ask when trying to define a persons particular worldview are...Q1. Do you claim to know whether or not a deity of some sort exists?Q2. Do you believe a deity of some sort exists?Two distinct questions that are NOT related.The answer to Q1 will tell you if the person is an agnostic or a gnostic, or "without knowledge" or "with knowledge."The answer to Q2 will tell you if they are atheistic or theistic, or "without belief in a God or gods," or "with belief in a God or gods."agnostic theistsWe all have to answer both questions and not confuse the two. Plenty of theists admit to beleiving in their God, but don't claim to "know" this God exists. They admit that their belief is based on faith and faith alone. gnostic theistsThen there are those theists that believe because everything they see points towards the existence of a God, so faith is not the foundation for their belief. These theists "know" God exists, and are therefore gnostic theists.agnostic atheistsMost scientists fall within this classification division. They don't "know" for certain that a deity of some sort doesn't exist, but they don't believe in one....just as they don't believe in anything without evidence. I find this to be the only 100% rational group. These people are usually defined as "weak atheists," but this term sounds too slanderous for me. There is nothing "weak" about their reasoning skills, and using this term indicates to theists that there is obviously a problem with this position.gnostic atheistsThese atheists claim that they know God doesn't exist and as a result of this knowledge, they damn sure don't believe in one. Jeremy would probably be in this group. Sometimes we hear these people defined as "strong atheists."But what about grey areas?In an effort to oversimplify beliefs we have all these neat little categories and subcategories. The problems that can arise are many though, so I'll make a point about one such dilema.I'm an agnostic atheist with regards to ALL possible Gods. I don't claim to know that there isn't a God of some sort somewhere in this universe, or in a different dimension of some sort. To make such a claim is rather assinine, in my opinion.What I do "claim" to KNOW is that logically inconsistent Gods cannot and do not exist AS defined. The Christian God cannot and does not exist AS defined. By the way, my "claim" of knowledge may be utter bullshit. Plenty of people have claimed to know this ir that throughout history, only to have their knowledge invalidated at a later date. But I do claim to know. nonetheless, that logically inconsistent Gods, such as the Christian God, cannot and do not exist as defined. Maybe the Christians do indeed worship an existing deity, and somewhere back in history his nature has been misdefined. Perhaps his logical inconsistency is really a human error in definition. So I am a strong atheist or a gnostic atheist with regards to CERTAIN well-defined Gods that I find ludicrious, but an agnostic atheists in regards to the entire spectrum of possible Gods.With that said...I am also an agnostic aunicornist. I don't KNOW that unicorns don't exist for 100% certainty, and as a result I damn sure don't believe in them. Nothing is logically inconsistent about a horn sticking out of the head of a horse, from what I know, so I cannot claim that unicorns cannot and do not exist. Perhaps somewhere there is one, provided we're talking about one that fits within the laws of physics and nature.So don't get my agnostic atheist position as a concession that God is a logically possible construct. I see NO evidence at all for ANY God and I would bet my very life that one doesn't exist. But do I know one doesn't exist? Nope.Chris "For Every Winner, There Are Dozens Of Losers. Odds Are You're One Of Them"

Return to “Everything Else”