• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Rescue Me!

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
MariaNiccola

Rescue Me!

Unread post

At kareoke last night, the first song someone picked was a heart-wrenching rendition of Dixieland. At kareoke? Help me.I'm a 27 year old female living in Goldsboro, NC (I grew up in Connecticut). I work as an environmental educator, attempting to use my master's degree in a field moderately related to my course of study. Have you ever tried to teach geology to a group of people that honestly believe the earth is only 6,000 years old? The Jan-Mar 2006 book sounds great, I can't wait to read it. I have to finish "Tender is the Night" first, however.
MariaNiccola

A question

Unread post

When/were are the up-coming books announced? Just curious to see what's on deck...
MariaNiccola

Re: A question

Unread post

never mind, I'm an idiot. If I'd checked first, I'd have figured it out.
MariaNiccola

Unread post

I've never kept a journal before, if you don't count elementary school diary entries about cute boys. As an experiment, I can only hypothesize that my life will be boring to others but nothing ventured, nothing gained.Yesterday, I taught a two hour class on current environmental issues to a class of 14 year old home-school kids. They didn't fall asleep or start passing notes, so I may have actually reached them. In particular, they seemed interested in our discussion of global climate change. What a depressing topic! Even if we fix the problem right now (unlikely considering our current leadership), we're still up @#$% creek without a paddle. Its enough to make me want to run away to Montana and horde canned goods.
Greg Neuman

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
All Your Posts are Belong to Us!

Unread post

Hi Maria! Sorry no one has had a chance to greet you yet. I'm Greg, BookTalk's newest Moderator. On behalf of the entire community, I bid you a fond welcome.A topic on climate change would be a fine addition to our Science, Nature & Technology forum. Please feel free to start one at any time. I, for one, am largely skeptical of the current climate change doomcrying, and I'd love a chance to discuss it further.Once again, welcome to BookTalk!G
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Welcome Maria!I too am a bit skeptical of the claims environmentalists make. Some claims are probably accurate, but some people love to throw tantrums and get themselves in the spotlight for "caring" more than others. Good topic for discussion as Greg suggests. Nice to meet you. I look forward to hearing more from you. Chris
tarav

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Re: Rescue Me!

Unread post

Welcome to BookTalk, Maria! I too am a yankee living in NC! I am also an educator. I feel your pain! I look forward to reading your posts!
MariaNiccola

Unread post

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone! I think I will start a thread on climate change... Nothing better than a healthy dialoge on a controversial subject.I feel a certain amount of skepticism is a necessary part of the scientific process, no matter what the subject. That the climate is changing very quickly has been pretty well proven, and I don't think why matters much at this point. What and whether we should do something about it are the issues we face at this point. But I think I will expand upon this in another forum. As for my journal, today I had a meeting in Raleigh concerning the creation of a statewide (NC) birding trail. As great as ecotourism could be for eastern NC (an economic ghost-town), I fear beaurocratic "assistance" will, and has, prevented any real progress. But then, without beaurocratic support, no money or infrastructure would happen, either. Its the great Quagmire of public service.
MariaNiccola

Unread post

I got my first book in the mail yesterday (Value and Virtue) and was dying to get home and start it. 20 pages in and I'm enjoying it. I have a little bit of a problem with the author's Christian-centric stance; even if he's anti-christian, its still restricting the argument to a universe without a specific god, as opposed to a universe without any god.I really need to not be reading in bed, though. Even though I like the book, it still made me sleepy. Its a pavlovian response to philosophy text from college.

Return to “Everything Else”