• In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Reliable Knowledge

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Niall001
Stupendously Brilliant

E&O

Unread post

I would love to read this book but I already know that science is an imperfect method. The author states that they want to examine the strengths of the scientific method. That sounds like anti-religious propaganda to me and I've vowed not to read any such trash. The aim is clearly to undermine religious beliefs.Philosophy is useless. What can it offer a person of faith? We already know the answers to all of life's questions. Sure with word games you can deconstruct all manner of things but this only serves to support immoral behaviour. Let two people take two different routes. Let one live by the moral commandments of Jesus Christ. Let the other break them all. See what happens.One would end up in prison. Or worse. The other would be happy. Let us agree, there is no one single reality. Not upon this stage, not in this world, all is in the mind... imagination is the only truth. Because it cannot be contradicted except by other imaginations - Richard MathesonThere are no conclusive indications by which waking life can be distinguished from sleep - Rene Descartes
Niall001
Stupendously Brilliant

Oops

Unread post

Interbane, sorry about the confusion. My intention in making that response was to create what I would consider to be an equal but opposite response to Nick's argument against reading the book in question.I don't actually believe anything I wrote. I was just writing what I considered to be a ridiculous objection to reading the book. I would consider it to be a parallel argument to Nick's, just starting with different assumptions.
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Re: Oops

Unread post

Niall:And I thought you had great points! Whoodathunkit?Mr. P. The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.The pain in hell has two sides. The kind you can touch with your hand; the kind you can feel in your heart...Scorsese's "Mean Streets"HEY! Is that a ball in your court? - Mr. PI came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper
Interbane

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: Oops

Unread post

That's fine, I thought you were throwing out a perspective that wasn't yours. I just wanted to comment on Morality and type a little. I'm reading a book on it right now, and writing about it helps me clear my mind.
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Re: Reliable Knowledge

Unread post

I have been reading up on some philosophical ideas regarding god, politics, morality and so forth and have come to the same conclusion as I held prior to reading it: There are no answers possible due to the refusal to accept anything as a standard. Everything can be reduced to nothingness.It is fun to wax philosophical, but to me just wastes too much time to get to few answers. It is a good way to fine tune your POV and argumentative style.Mr. P. The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.The pain in hell has two sides. The kind you can touch with your hand; the kind you can feel in your heart...Scorsese's "Mean Streets"I came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Unread post

Everything can be reduced to nothingness.Scientifically speaking, this literally seems to the case.
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Of course I am talking about ideas and discussion, not matter.Mr. P. The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.The pain in hell has two sides. The kind you can touch with your hand; the kind you can feel in your heart...Scorsese's "Mean Streets"I came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Unread post

If matter can be reduced to veritable nothingness, why should ideas be any more concrete?But realistically, it's often the best possible thing for the progress of any branch of knowledge to break it down to veritable nothingness. If we lacked that capacity, then we'd never know where our reasoning went wrong. Your criticism of philosophy may seem very practical to you, Mr. P, but it puts you in danger of holding lifelong but spurious beliefs.
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Quote:Your criticism of philosophy may seem very practical to you, Mr. P, but it puts you in danger of holding lifelong but spurious beliefs. No it does'nt.I am open to just about anything...except things that I have ruled out as not useful. Philosophy is not one of those for the most part, religion is. With all the consternation I am causing on my approach to ethics, you can see that I can approach the issue with a deconstructionist view, no? Is my saying that ethics are totally subjective any different than you saying that ideas as well as matter can be reduced to nothingness? Am I 'wrong' about anything I have said? Am I not trying to understand your view of ethical theory by reducing it to nothingness and then trying to build it back up?Thats what I thought...but what do I know...I am not a philosopher.Mr. sPurious. The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.The pain in hell has two sides. The kind you can touch with your hand; the kind you can feel in your heart...Scorsese's "Mean Streets"I came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Jesus this is a fascinating conversation. Chris

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”